Thumbs up TR: Got BOB? Mt. Evans North Face, 5-21-07

Last week, Jordan and I headed up towards Evans based on a posting on another website that the Mt. Evans road was open. This turned out to be false, and a lesson was learned- don't believe everything you read on a message board I did gather some valuable info, however- the road was plowed for at least 5 miles, so I knew a bike trip would work. (With thanks to Pam and Chris, who have done the ski-bike thing a couple of times: http://www.eol.ucar.edu/~cjw/Skiing/...lide_show.html

I knew from experience that carrying skis, boots, etc on a pack on a bike is pretty uncomfortable, so I borrowed my friend's BOB trailer instead. mbsc and I planned on hitting Evans on Sunday, but Tabeguache tired us out and it didn't happen: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85872 I thought I was going to start work on Monday, but the site wasn't ready for us, so I decided I would just have to go it alone.

By about 7, I had gotten BOB packed up and was ready to hit the road from Echo Lake at 10,600'.

From there, it's about 9 miles and 2,250' to Summit lake and the base of the good skiing, Summit Lake bowl. After a little over 7 miles, I finally hit the end of the road, CDOT working hard to get the road open for the holiday weekend.

I stashed the bike and BOB, switched to the ski boots, and started skinning past the CDOT guys. The last mile and a half to Summit lake was pretty flat, and then I ditched the skins and started booting up the NE face. I got to the top a little later than I wanted- a little after 11, but clouds and a cool breeze had kept the N face snow from getting too warm.

Where is everyone?

It was so nice to be up there without hordes of people asking the standard "Where are you going to ski?" questions.

The North face of Evans offers up some awesome, albeit short, skiing. From where I grew up west of Golden, I could get to the top of the Evans road in under an hour, so I knew the area well. A look down my line:

And a look back up:

The clouds were building at this point and it was time to hightail it outta there. I didn't speed too much.

Another switch back to the bike, and it was time for some downhill cruising. I was pleased with my decision to go with the mountain bike and not the road bike- disc brakes are a good thing with BOB being a bit heavy.

Near the bottom, I passed some Euro tourists walking down the road, so I asked them to take a quick photo.

When the road opens to the top of Evans, it's definitely worth doing some laps on. It was also really nice to experience some solitude on Evans, considering that it usually has tourists all over it. I remember some really nice tourists one year picking me up at summit lake and giving me a sandwich and a soda while they drove me back up, though, so tourists are pretty cool too.

Sweet. Nice use of the BOB. We are planning to hit the IPW this weekend and I am now going to borrow a BOB instead of the skis,boots, and pack on back thing.

Starting work, does that mean an end to the TRs that slake the thirst of us desk jockeys?

Looks like a fun day. I ended up going for a bike ride with my 3 year old.

Nice one!

I love this shot:
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post

Starting work, does that mean an end to the TRs that slake the thirst of us desk jockeys?
    I still need to put up Little Bear. I've still got the weekends

If I was to re-pack the BOB, I would put my skis on sideways- the tails would sometimes bump the bike, FYI.

That is totally rad Frank!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Near the bottom, I passed some Euro tourists walking down the road, so I asked them to take a quick photo.
    Donjoy to the World!

Glad you got it Goldenboy! Dang, though the snow looks thin off the summit!!!!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

...nonstop

A day in the life...

Forgot to post this one. SE facing, almost certainly caused by CDOT.

does that slide drop into the lincolin lake basin?

Also do you think they will have that road open this weekend? I live on 103 and I remember they usually open it on memorial day weekend...

Also any beta on the how the line lookers left of sunrise couloir looked (the skinny one) Also what about the other lines above summit lake? also what about the goldfinger and the NE on grey wolf?

I am obviously thinking of doing some sort of car shuttle day.

Thanks!

Also nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox View Post
    does that slide drop into the lincolin lake basin?

Also do you think they will have that road open this weekend? I live on 103 and I remember they usually open it on memorial day weekend...

Also any beta on the how the line lookers left of sunrise couloir looked (the skinny one) Also what about the other lines above summit lake? also what about the goldfinger and the NE on grey wolf?

I am obviously thinking of doing some sort of car shuttle day.

Thanks!

Also nice job!
    Dang that's a lot of questions!

Yeah, that slide is in lincoln lake basin.

The CDOT dudes said they hoped to have it open to Summit lake only by the weekend. Not sure when they'll get to the summit. Lots of good lines in the area- the skinny one you mention was filled in, but looked like it had a runnel going right down it. I remember skiing that one years ago.

A better look at the summit area. Summit is top left. Evans is a cool mountain, even if it does have a road to the top.

Radical solo effort dude. It is so nice being up on that peak without anyone around, when we did it in March we didn't see another soul the entire day, not even CDOT

Pissst.....

FYI, I heard this morning that the road will open to Summit lake on Friday....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"