TR: Mt. Democrat N face 5-15-07

North face of Mt. Democrat via Kite Lake, 5-15-07

goldenboy, Kyle, Jordan

I left the front range early on the 15th, driving through some rain along the way. I wasn't too optimistic about the weather, but once I got on the other side of the Eisenhower tunnel, the weather got considerably better. Since I was going to head from Democrat towards the Sawatch and some more skiing and Jordan was heading back to the front range, we dropped off a vehicle at the Montgomery res. trailhead and then went to Kite lake, where Kyle had spent the night.

The fog was thick, but it cleared from time to time and we were able to see enough to make our way up.

The route from Kite lake is quick and easy, and we were on the summit ridge in no time.

This 'S' gully on Bross looked like a fun cruise.

yummy:

Jordan, dropping in:

gb:

Jordan, lower down:

gb:

A look at the face. Where the route constricts and doglegs at the bottom, the route stays about one ski-length wide.

As we skied, then walked down the valley, the North side of Lincoln showed some fun lines, although many of them appeared to close out.

Ah, the icefall, I know we're close

Meanwhile, Kyle decided to take his own line down the Emma lake side, since it was a line he had been thinking about for some time:

His Tr is over here: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3684

The corn snow on Democrat was excellent, and with a shuttle the bang for the buck on this one is pretty good, something like a 5 hour day.

Nice work......looks like a fun day.

You are always the last to accept biking season.....great motivation have you!! I am done, and am in full bore biking mode, it is sad really.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Nice work......looks like a fun day.

You are always the last to accept biking season.....great motivation have you!! I am done, and am in full bore biking mode, it is sad really.
    I had put a lot of miles on this time last year, # of miles ridden so far this year: zero.

I may put in a short ride this weekend to ski Evans- the road isn't open yet, but it is plowed and paved

The skiing lately has been exceptional, so the bike isn't really holding much interest for me, yet.

Frank you are killing it of late. Nice looking trip, Brings back some memories

Another nice one! Can't wait for school to be out!

You are killing it!!!

Got to be the premier line on Dem. Snow looks like it was money. Your kicking some ass dude.

killing it x3. So nice to see the HQ TRs, esp since our local season is coming to a close.

What's this little gem? I'm too tired to pull up the topo...

Looks like a great day out and a fine time to hit that line! When I hit it in June the choke was not in as good of shape. Nice job!!!!!!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

How far up the Kite Lake road were you able to drive?
    Change is good. You go first.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    How far up the Kite Lake road were you able to drive?
    Pretty far, we were at Kite Lake in about a half hour (at most) of walking and skinning.

Three different groups, 10 people, skied the N. Face sunday, 5-20, within a half hour. I don't have time to post any pics now. The choke is in good shape, but the top portion is getting thin. Three different lines of the summit were skied. With out cold or snow the line will be spent within a few days. The slog out required about two miles of road walking.
    It was a great day, being the first fourteener I have been able to ski since I blew the crap out of my ankle this winter. Thanks for the TR goldenboy. It's prime time in the Colorado high country right now.

Democrat North Face on Saturday the 19th. Still lookin purdy good!

Taken from Clinton Peak...TR coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dam Skier View Post
    Three different groups, 10 people, skied the N. Face sunday, 5-20, within a half hour. I don't have time to post any pics now. The choke is in good shape, but the top portion is getting thin. Three different lines of the summit were skied. With out cold or snow the line will be spent within a few days. The slog out required about two miles of road walking.
    It was a great day, being the first fourteener I have been able to ski since I blew the crap out of my ankle this winter. Thanks for the TR goldenboy. It's prime time in the Colorado high country right now.

Awesome! I was surprised we didn't see any old tracks on the face when we were there. Hopefully everyone else got the same high quality corn that we got

Myself and 2 buddies were part of the ten that got up there on Sunday and the skiing was great... I'll get some pics up later...

Post pics will ya already!
    Last edited by Spike Malone; 06-07-2007 at 07:28 PM.