Check Out Our Shop
Page 167 of 168 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 4184
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    Trail casing only comes with Endurance compound (like Maxxis Dual Compound) currently. New Revel Ranger comes with Trail Soft front/rear. I'd wait for those to hit retail if I were you.
    Good to know, thanks.

I am still on the hunt for a DH casing tire that is 2.6-2.8. (27.5) Ebike don’t G.A.F. how heavy it is.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ended up going with the 2.5 and glad I did. As was said elsewhere, it's true to Maxxis sizing, IOW way small.
    It's dwarfed by the 2.6 Hellkat up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Ended up going with the 2.5 and glad I did. As was said elsewhere, it's true to Maxxis sizing, IOW way small.
    It's dwarfed by the 2.6 Hellkat up front.
    In fairness to maxxis, it's not so much that maxxis runs small, it's that pretty much every other brand runs big.

Every maxxis tire I have measures very close to the stated size. Most of the non-maxxis tires I have measure bigger than stated.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am still on the hunt for a DH casing tire that is 2.6-2.8. (27.5) Ebike don’t G.A.F. how heavy it is.
    Have you tried the Vittoria Mazza 2.6? Their enduro casing falls right between a DD and DH ime.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    In fairness to maxxis, it's not so much that maxxis runs small, it's that pretty much every other brand runs big.

Every maxxis tire I have measures very close to the stated size. Most of the non-maxxis tires I have measure bigger than stated.
    The 2.5WT on a 31mm inner width rim, measured at 2.28".
    Not too bad but not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    The 2.5WT on a 31mm inner width rim, measured at 2.28".
    Not too bad but not good.
    Casing or knobs? I think maxxis measures at the knobs while some other brands measure at the casing.

I don't have any aggressors mounted up, but the dhf's, dhr2's, and assegais in my garage all measure accurately, or a bit big (measured at the widest point of the knobs).

(Not saying that the aggressor isn't undersized - the 2.3 that I had was more like a 2.25).

Casing or knobs?
    Casing

Looking for faster rolling rubber than my assegai/DHR combo in maxterra. I'm toying with the idea of aggressor/dissector. Or DHR/dissector...cor ho-hum pnw trail riding. Is this dumb? The alternative is Conti's hardest kryptotal w their Xytotal in the rear. The bike sees only trail duty and this move would result in a dedicated wet wheelset to swap out at will...

Also, the guy at the shop told me to go insert if/when I upgrade wheels. I have never flatted out in my life (fingers crossed). Insert go more slow, no?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    Looking for faster rolling rubber than my assegai/DHR combo in maxterra. I'm toying with the idea of aggressor/dissector. Or DHR/dissector...cor ho-hum pnw trail riding. Is this dumb? The alternative is Conti's hardest kryptotal w their Xytotal in the rear. The bike sees only trail duty and this move would result in a dedicated wet wheelset to swap out at will...

Also, the guy at the shop told me to go insert if/when I upgrade wheels. I have never flatted out in my life (fingers crossed). Insert go more slow, no?

I've done assegai/ dissector and liked it. Only downside is the dissector doesn't last super long as a rear.

If you've never flatted, I see absolutely no reason to go insert. Heavier, slower acceleration, and if you ever slice a tire, it just makes the fix more of a pain in the ass.

Well then.... pretty dang impressed with the new rubber on the ride. Having stopped working in the bike world, I have been starting to shop deals online and at the LBS more and more. It pains me to say this, having spent most of my working career selling against the big S - the Butcher/Eliminator T9 Grid Trails I picked up on the 39.99 dealio are staying on the bike.

In my part of the PNW, which would be Oakridge loam and then coastal loam/clay mix, I plan to run Dissector front and rear this summer for a good balance of speed and traction.
    In previous years I’ve run Mazza front Dissector rear, which I think is a really well balanced trail combo. I’m sure either DHF or DHR up front with Dissector rear would be a very similarly balanced ride.
    If you go Dissector front Aggressor rear, it would be insanely fast and light (which is what I’m hoping from my Dissector Dissector combo). The main benefit over Dissector Dissector would be the durability of the Aggressor over the Dissector, as the Dissector out back can fall apart under aggressive braking. Both of these tires are similar in speed and weight; I think the Aggressor brakes just a touch harder in dry loam and I think the Dissector corners better. One thing about this combo is that in recent years I’ve found that I have a preference for my front and rear tires to be the same width for high speed cornering, and the 2.3 Aggressor is a little bit more narrow than the 2.4 Dissector so it will hook up just a tad bit differently. So don’t put the Aggressor up front since I think it’s only available in DC and is more narrow than the Dissector in both widths.

Since you are building up a dedicated wet wheelset … I’ve been reallt really impressed by the Spesh Grid Trail T9 Hillbilly. Yeah it’s heavier than EXO MT, but it’s really damn nice and damp and bites really well. So far I have only run T7 in the rear (I use a T7 Butcher in shoulder season when the wet soil is still mostly supportable, and an older Hillbilly T7 rear when it’s truly winter and things are generally slip and slide all around) but the Hillbilly is now only available in T9 rubber and either Grid trail or Grid Gravity casing. I wouldn’t hesitate to run either of these out back in the winter though.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Anyone have comparative measurements for 2.4 DHR vs 2.4 kryptotal on the same rim?

Can I expect the kryptotal to measure larger like they seem to do in the 2.6 size vs maxxis?

I picked up an eliminator for a back summer tire since they are cheap haven’t put it on yet. I also have a dissector on the front of my hardtail and it’s fine, pretty big dead zone but rolls decently.

I've done assegai/ dissector and liked it. Only downside is the dissector doesn't last super long as a rear.

If you've never flatted, I see absolutely no reason to go insert. Heavier, slower acceleration, and if you ever slice a tire, it just makes the fix more of a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I picked up an eliminator for a back summer tire since they are cheap haven’t put it on yet. I also have a dissector on the front of my hardtail and it’s fine, pretty big dead zone but rolls decently.
    Yeah, I like the eliminator for a rear. Similar speed to a dissector, but lasts way longer. Dissector brakes and corners noticeably better, but it's not *so* much better that I'm willing to pay more and have it wear out faster. If I was racing and wanted the perfect setup I'd probably go dissector, but I'm not so I don't.

I really have a love hate relationship with Dissectors. I would have moved on to Xynotal if not for all those $30 Maxxis tires that hit the market last Fall. On our soil the Dissector has this je ne sais quoi of fun-ness, so so fast, drifty when you want it and well controlled through the drift, locked on rails when you want it, shuts down when you want, damp smooth ride, but then falls apart after not that many hard fast rides.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sorry, little more faffing: Went with a Trail Kryptotal in endurance compound in the front, Dissector rear. Now I'm hearing some bits and pieces about traction issues on slimy roots, which rarely ever go away here in Cascadia. Anybody spend time on this endurance compound? What is the significance of a single/dual/triple compound? Different wear characteristics?

Looking at trying ground control rear tire in 29x2.35 to replace an XR4 that's feeling too draggy. Does anyone know if evil S has any sales scheduled in the next month?

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Anyone have comparative measurements for 2.4 DHR vs 2.4 kryptotal on the same rim?

Can I expect the kryptotal to measure larger like they seem to do in the 2.6 size vs maxxis?
    On DT EX511s, 30mm internal width, with CushCore Pro:

2.4 Kryptotal Fr (Enduro Soft): 2.3690" casing, 2.4120" knobs

Can't find a record of my 2.4 DHR II measurement, but pretty sure the casing was just over 2.4" on the same rims.

I have no experience with 2.6" tires in either brand, but I would not assume the Contis are larger than stated or larger than Maxxis.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Looking at trying ground control rear tire in 29x2.35 to replace an XR4 that's feeling too draggy. Does anyone know if evil S has any sales scheduled in the next month?
    Jensen has both T5 and T7 layups for $39.99 right now. Similar prices at other shops online

This xc racer kid I know is running Maxxis Aspen 170tpi. Wild looking tire. A slick with little knobs. He's fast AF with them. Not a tire for me.

The Aggressor is an alarmingly fast rear tire and grips well in anything that isn't sticky mud. Since Tahoe doesn't have mud, I run it 100% of the time on the rear.

The rear tire is at least 80% of your rolling resistance. Front doesn't matter as much, though you'll still notice the difference between an Assegai and literally anything else since the Assegai is so slow. A DHF front will be noticeably faster. If you want absolute maximum grip on the front, WTB Verdict. Haven't tried the new Contis.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Jensen has both T5 and T7 layups for $39.99 right now. Similar prices at other shops online
    Thanks!

Been running the stock DHR2 front / Dissector rear 2.4WT 3C on my Ripley AF w its mongo 35mm ID rims . EC rolling trails w lots of rocks and roots and mix of wet and more firm dirt .Pretty happy so far but have no frame of reference w other modern tires. Any better alternatives to these or stick w the same for replacements? Unfortunately missed stocking up when these were dirt cheap

Planet Cyclery still has 31 dollar dhr and Jenson has the cheap disssector