Question Adding RAM to a Macbook/laptop - what do I need to know?

About me:

I'm using a MacBook - 2 GHz, 1GB RAM (2 512Mb sticks). My Primary application is digital photography. I'm running Adobe Lightroom; when my dSLR was churning out 8Mb files, my system ran great. Now, with my new camera, I'm dealing with ~12Mb files, and my system is running considerably slower, and I want to speed it up!

My Macbook has 2 RAM slots, which are currently each filled with a 512Mb card each. As I see it, my options are to either buy a 1GB card (for a total of 1.5GB RAM), or two 1GB cards (for a total of 2GB).

What I'm having trouble with is, what is the best route for me to follow? How much can I expect my computer to speed up by just adding 512Mb of RAM? Is it worth it to drop the extra $$ on doubling my RAM?

Also, where do I buy said RAM? And once/if I replace the 512 cards, do I just trash them, can I expect to sell them and get some $$ back?

Anything else I need to know before going through with this?

Thanks in advance.

I am not a mac expert, but the decision on the memory has to be made with a few things in mind. First issue is what is the recommended memory for the applications you use. If you are way under the recommended memory then get to the recommended or higher. Second item is if you multi-task (ie have other things open at the same time), then again the more memory usually the better.

As for the 1.5 vs 2 gig decision, if the budget allows the purchase of the 2 new memory modules (and assuming that they are easy to install- many laptops have access to 1 of the memory slots on the bottom of the unit- 5 minutes to make the switch (including finding a screw driver), but the other module is under the keyboard or on the board where you have to take most of the unit apart to get to it. (Again no Mac laptop expert- check this out though) so you may not want to do this yourself if you do not have experience taking the thing apart. So the 2nd module actually costs you much more due to the techs install charges involved.

Finally the memory you pull out of the unit usually has resell value, or trade in value if the local shop does this type of thing. Whether there is someone out there with the same model Mac and only 512 meg of memory (if it came that way from Apple and the 1 gig was an option) and they want to move up to 1 gig too, or someone with a defective memory module that they need to replace- ebay or other places like Mac computer forums that have a buying/for sale swap section, you should be able to recoop some of the funds put out towards the new memory (but probably not more than 50% or the selling price for the memory modules today new. (sort of like asking too much for used ski gear here- they will laugh at you since they probably do not have any warranty on your used memory.)

I'd start here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721

Note the following little tidbit...
    Note: For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.
    Going to 2 gig should have the basic benefit of more RAM. Matched sized sticks theoretically gets you added performance benefits from interleaving - although a quick googling expedition indicates that some folks doing benchmarking are not convinced about that on these machines. Still, in general, more RAM equals better performance. In general...

Some of the memory suppliers tend to have good info on this stuff themselves. I seem to to remember a discussion of Mac memory and suppliers here a few months ago...

Laptop ram is fairly cheap. I have a mbp, and currently have two 512 sticks in mine and you can get 2 1gig sticks for $114 online from crucial I believe. To me that seems super cheap as it seems not long ago a 1gig stick was $89 IIRC.

im thinking you just pop up the keyboard and slap the ram in, unless they've changed the config. My mac took me all of 30seconds to plug in another 512.
    mac's arent all fcked up like the various windows laptops for ram installation.

It's super easy to change ram in a macbook. pull out the battery, and there is a metal strip along the side you have to remove, then the modules (either of them are accessed from here) spring load out I believe.

As far as photo-editing with ram, the more the better usually. Photoshop is a ram hog, and I'm sure lightroom is as well.

Adobe says you only need 768MB (1G reccomended) for lightroom, but if you're running other programs at the same time or working on really large files, more ram will help as far as I understand.

You could always just upgrade one card, then the other later if you think it will help, but as others said, ram is pretty damn cheap now.

Another thought is how much empty space is on your hard drive. I don't know about lightroom, but photoshop will use empty hard drive space as a swap drive, and if you don't have some empty space it can slow down (doesn't have to be a lot, like 10 to 20 gig would be plenty).

i really dig lightroom, but it is very slow on my computer, so I'm guessing it's a pretty demanding program on the system, so running as few other programs at the same time could help as well.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

You probably want to stick with matching pairs: 2 x identical 1GB DIMMs from the same vendor. It doubles the bandwidth, which is really important for Photoshop etc. You'll probably notice the difference if you just put in a single 1GB DIMM- it might slow the video below what you have now with 2 512s.

READ THIS!!!!!!

You HAVE to install RAM in a Macbook (not Macbook Pro) in matched pairs. That machine can only have 2 x 256mb, 2 x 512mb, or 2 x 1gb. It has to do with the GMA 950 graphics card being built in and dual channel, or some shit like that.

Go to dealram.com and select your machine. Get the cheapest BRAND NAME (crucial, kingston, samsung, etc) RAM you can find. Looks like crucial.com has the 2 x 1gb kit for $101 shipped.

My offer for you: I have a sealed 2 x 1gb kit of Apple Brand RAM, the shit they sell on apple.com/store or at a retail store. It retails for $350 (part MA369G/A). I'll sell you that kit for $125 shipped. Why buy mine??? Since it's Apple brand, it will be covered under Apple warranty. If you get the Applecare plan for your computer, the RAM will also be covered for those three years. Let me know.

Edit: Oh, and it's stupid easy to install yourself. You can probably sell the 2 x 512mb sticks when you upgrade for 25-50 bucks on CL or something. First gen Macbooks all only came with 2 x 256mb of RAM, so lots of peeps are looking to upgrade.
    Last edited by bossass; 05-12-2007 at 11:21 PM.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.