Thread: So I'm moving?

So I'm moving?

Yeah. I'm going to school out in Montana next year, and I'm starting to assume that my 80mm underfoot park skis probably aren't gonna cut it in nipple deep. I'm thinking either some 178 Armada JP v. Julians or 179 K2 AK Enemies. Opinions, and or other options. Looking in the 100-115 range. help out an EC noobie

5'8"
    155 lbs

Thanks
    Last edited by Skipig25; 05-11-2007 at 06:47 PM.

I can't speak for the JP, but I've been skiing that AK Enemy platform (but in the 189) for years, and I like it. I also have Seth Pistols, and I've considered selling those and using my Kahunas (same ski) as my everyday rig, but it doesn't snow as much in MT as it does here in WA, so...I'm thinking I'll try them through one season in Montucky.

The reason I'd consider getting rid of the Pistols is that the Kahuna chassis is a good, soft, sorfy pow board that also is pretty versatile and easily skiable...and I have 8 pairs of skis, so maybe I could trim one or two from that. The AK Enemy is straight enough to ski pow great, but soft and shaped enough to turn just fine when you need it to.

I'll see you this winter sometime, I'm moving to Bozeman in August.
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 05-11-2007 at 07:20 PM.

You know, back in the day, skis with a 60-ish mm waist, 210cm long and almost no sidecut used to cut it in nipple deep.

Just sayin'.

115 under foot heli star in 170 or 180cm from me for $200, ski only

really anything that is 100mm+ and 180 + should be fine

Hey Skipig,

Sounds like a good move. I'm not exactly in the same boat (didn't move from EC), but this year I definitely transitioned from being a recreational to obsessed skier, at least from an enthusiasm point of view. I ski around Tahoe and am 5'9" 145lbs so we're comparable sizes. I agree w/ 72twenty's basic assertion, namely that skis are merely tools to aid us in sliding down the mountain. Having said that, modern conceptions are available at a reasonable economic sacrifice even if the choices can seem overwhelming. There are a few points to consider:

1) Go longer than you're considering - At least in my opinion... I demo'd a bunch this year and for a long while never went over 180cm's. I certainly want to progress technically but when the terrain opens up I like to go fast, and the sub 180 skis always felt lacking. When I got on some 180+ skis, the 'wow' factor entered the equation. I could go so much faster, over worse terrain and feel very confident. And these skis weren't hard to turn either, just add some muscle if you need to (and stay out of the backseat).

2) Length isn't the only consideration - Ski construction plays a huge part in performance. You said you currently have park skis... Do you only ski park? Do you use the skis for all-mountain as well? If you're a park rat then there's no need to get new sticks, just go ski park. If you ski the whole mountain, then now we're talking. Do you like a light, lively, 'poppy' ski? Then stay away from metal. Do you like a damper ride to charge through the junk and make large radius turns regardless of conditions? Then look for a damper ski: metal, rubber, etc... and probably go longer here as well if maneuverability isn't key. Also keep in mind that a ski w/ less sidecut will ski longer and the more twin a ski has the shorter it will ski, etc...

3) You may have noticed that I've not given any specific recommendations for skis. See marshalolson's recommended skis and bindings thread, endlesswntr's ski review thread and use the search function. Then narrow down a list of ski's and go to the manufacturer's website. Read up on their dimensions, construction, etc... there to start forming a more well-rounded opinion. Also, not everyone over at epicski.com carves groomers 100% of the time, it can be a valuable resource to research gear (although my head starts to hurt reading some of the ski technique threads, so wouldn't recommend those unless you're in full-on geek mode). Also talk to folks on the ground at the hill who've skied alot of models.

4) Regardless of what ski you choose, train your ass off this summer. The fitter and stronger you are the better you'll drive a larger ski and handle the bigger/steeper vertical.

Of course, after all this, mntlion's post makes alot of sense. 100mm+ and 180cm+ and you'll be good. If you want a 1-ski quiver, then probably something w/ a progressive flex would be key; i.e. softer at the tip for float and progressively stiffer underfoot for stability at speed and in harder conditions. Read Basom's review on the Moment Ruby for instance (Tahoe also sounds promising), & look at ski's like Atomic Pow+, Nordica Blower, the new Gotama, Bro's etc... Any which way, you'll have fun and that's what it's about at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Mgof; 05-11-2007 at 11:44 PM.

yea, I've been an obsessed skier for a while. I'm thinking 178 JP v. Juliens right now, which are 103 underfoot I believe. I'm not really a park rat, although coming from the EC, I've skied my fair share. JJ's don't have that much of a sidecut, and I hear that they track great, and since I'm not that big, I figured that 178 was fine. However, they are a true twin, and light as hell, and I like going fast, so I am considering the 188. I just don't know if that's too large for me to use as an everyday ski, and in the tight stuff, or how easy it is for me to spin. Also, since they don't have much of a sidecut, the 178 might be easier for me to carve when I'm not skiing nipple deep.

And as far as training goes, I bike, run and climb all summer, so I'm in decent shape.

AND... Surface Live Lifes were just brought to my attention. 179 is 112 underfoot. Anyone skied these?
    Last edited by Skipig25; 05-12-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Sounds good man. I'm not a big guy (5'9 <150lbs), but I've now got a few skis in the 181-190 range. I can definitely empathize w/ the bigger, better skiers on the board that constantly want the current model skis in 200cm sizes. My recommendation would be to wait until you get out there and use your current skis in the early season. When a base builds up and the skiing's decent, demo a few pairs of skis w/ varying dimensions. Even ski the same model in different sizes. If you still want something in the upper 170s then go for it. I think you may find a longer board is more conducive to skiing out west. You can always find some cheaper skis around, either locally or around the forums. This way, you'll know for sure based on personal experience rather than guesswork or specific recommendations from people who've never seen you ski...

FYI the 179 AK enemy probably measures in the 184 range like most k2 products.

My favorite ski in that size range is the Volkl Gotamas. Solid Fat all mountain skis that could be a one ski quiver. Not as noodly as the K2s..but noodly aint allways bad.

Where in montana are you planning on skiiing? I've only skied Big Sky, Moonlight Basin, and Bridger Bowl up there, but they are vastly different kinds of skiing. Big Sky is all about big high speed lines and wide open terrain. Moonlight is a bit tighter chutes, but still pretty wide open. Brider is straight up billygoating, some of the tightest shit I can imagine getting into. SKiing bridger this year required me to get skis that really would not have suited my style at all if I were in more wide open stuff.

That brings me to my next point. If you are really interested in becoming a better skier, you are going to need multiple pairs of skis. There is no do everything ski. You should think about what pair of skis will give you the best platform to build off of.

And that brings me to my final point. Go much longer than you are looking at. First, you're from the east coast, everyone skis shorter sticks out there. Second, if you are interested in progressing as a skier one of the best things you can do (at least one of the things thats been best for me) is to buy a pair of skis that scares you, and then ski em till you can make em your bitch. Also, like I said before, if you plan on skiing a lot, you are going to want different skis for different conditions, so by buying a ski you will have to "grow into", you will get a good idea of what direction the rest of your quiver should take. Worst case scenario, it becomes the "big gun" high speed portion of you quiver. You'll still have the little park skis if you ever feel lazy too, you can just go back to what you know.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I'm going to MSU, so I'll probably be skiing all 3, or at least 2. I'm gonna try to get up to big sky as much as I can, but bridger is close by, so I'll get a few days in there I assume. which is why I'm looking at an all-around fat ski, because like you said, big sky is wide open, and bridger is tighter.

JP v. Juliens would be good for Big Sky I think, They're light, and lack the sidecut of most skis, so they track pretty true.

Live Lifes have a little more sidecut, but I hear they are the perfect flex medium for charging and playing around

Gotamas may also be a choice

I'm goign to have to agree on teh Live Life's. Never ridden them, but I only hear good things. I'd probably own a pair if they were a TINY bit longer. Hopefully in the up and comign seasons from Surface.

ooh, Malone has 188 JJ's for 275 shipped. I might have to do that