Ski and Mountaineering Glove Review

So after searching the forums fairly thoroughly for reviews of ski gloves, I came to two conclusions. First, Hestra gloves are dexterous as fuck! Second, most people have tried one glove and in most cases liked it. Therefore, without any thorough glove comparison posts, I was a bit apprehensive about internet ordering a glove that only had a few glowing reviews but no comparative reviews. So here's what I did: I ordered four seperate gloves, all in size large (9 inches wrist to finger tip), and did a blind test on them. I then looked at the construction plus a few other random features. Here are the four gloves I reviewed and my comments:

Hestra Gore-Tex XCR Glove
    Black Diamond Guide Glove
    Mountain Hardwear Annapurna Glove
    Marmot Ultimate Ski Glove

Glove preference, from most to least:
    Hestra
    Black Diamond
    Marmot
    Mountain Hardwear

The Hestra, BD, and Marmot gloves all had leather palms which made them infinitely more comfortable and dexterous than the MH glove. The one advantage to the MH glove, most likely, is that it is more waterproofed throughout than any of the other gloves (not sure about this though). With that being said, the lack of dexterity made it unbearable in my opinion.

When it came down to comparing the Hestra, BD, and Marmot gloves, the first thing that jumped out was how the stitching of the palm screwed with the Marmot's dexterity. It is hard to describe, but the stitching on the Hestra and BD gloves made the thumb much more moveable, which, undoubtedly, makes them a more useful glove. In addition, the connection between the Marmot liner and the glove was awkward one resulting in my having to spend a lot of time wiggling my fingers to get them in.

So I finally narrowed my choice down to the Hestra and the BD gloves. After doing another blind test, the Hestra was simply more comfortable and more usable. In addition, the Hestra had a leash as well as an adjustable strap to tighten the section between the gauntlet and the glove itself. These minor differences in the end made the decision an easy one.

(One other difference between the Hestra and BD gloves was the liner. In the BD glove the liner was removable. Not the case in the Hestra. This could be considered advantageous or not, depending on the person.)

In terms of warmth, I thought they were all fairly comparable. This isn't really an adequate test, though, because I haven't taken them skiing or climbing yet! I trust that since all of them feel equally warm and all have Gore-tex XCR, I should be fine.

I still have the gloves with me, so feel free to ask me any other questions.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    good stuff, thanks. Just curious, how did you compare dexterity? My ultimate test is ease of setting an ice screw....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    good stuff, thanks. Just curious, how did you compare dexterity? My ultimate test is ease of setting an ice screw....
    A lot more rudimentary than that! First part of the test was just moving my fingers around and judging the feel of the glove (that is why I did the blind test). With that alone I could discern a huge difference between the gloves. I then tried tying my shoes with them on...

1 vote for BD Prodigy. But that's just my $.02.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote=Johnnie Cochran

If the glove don't fit...

/quote

Me likey Hestra. Their lobster claw mit is awesome. I did end up with a tube of Biwell to keep the Hestra palms really waterproof, though.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    depending on how much warmth/insulation you require... the BD Dry Tool glove is second to none, for lighter weight applications...

This is the thread I've been waiting for. These have been the exact gloves I've been looking at. Thanks~!
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Quote Originally Posted by jepilot View Post
    This is the thread I've been waiting for. These have been the exact gloves I've been looking at. Thanks~!
    Glad I could help dude!

I bought my first pair of Hestras 11 years ago, the "guide" model, a leather and canvas construction. Though there's duct tape on the thumb, they're still in use and manage to keep my hands warm and for the moist part dry (sorry, couldn't help myself) even here in the PNWet.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

$$?

Hey mister warm hands
    Are the gloves all about the same price?
    I'd expect a more expensive glove to be better than a cheapo.

(I have the BD Patrol Glove, it's just ok.
    I loved my Marmot Liquid Fire gloves, nicely breathable, getting a bit ratty now. My old Solly pocket-rocket gloves, are made of leather, and real purty, but they don't breath so good. Stick to your hands when you take 'em off, and are cold when you put them on again.)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

If you're looking at gauntlets, don't forget the Mammut Zermatts. They're damn near impossible to find in the states, but TP carries them. Unreal gloves.

I'm kinda over the gauntlet design, so I'm rocking a pair of Hestra Vertical Cut Freerides now. My only complaint is the fact that you have to waterproof the leather occasionally. Otherwise I love them.

But for gauntlets, the Zermatts are second to none in my book.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Hey mister warm hands
    Are the gloves all about the same price?
    I'd expect a more expensive glove to be better than a cheapo.
    All the gloves are around 120. The Marmot is 150. I think you can get the BD for 85 or something off their webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    If you're looking at gauntlets, don't forget the Mammut Zermatts. They're damn near impossible to find in the states, but TP carries them. Unreal gloves.

I'm kinda over the gauntlet design, so I'm rocking a pair of Hestra Vertical Cut Freerides now. My only complaint is the fact that you have to waterproof the leather occasionally. Otherwise I love them.

But for gauntlets, the Zermatts are second to none in my book.
    Arty - I definitely saw your posts about the mammut gloves in other forums. I tried mightily to find a pair but had no luck. Wish I could've included them in the comparison...

Thanks for the review. Any comparison of the Hestra XCR Glove vs. the Hestra Vertical Cut Freeride Glove? Anyone used both of them?

-fool

Hestra makes nice gloves but that leash is way too wide - makes my wrist hot.