looking to buy a truck... help needed

Before the city folk jump down my throat, I once lived there and had no need for a truck, and still think they're stupid for 90% of people in the city, but I live in buttfuck nowhere and my subaru can't get up most of the roads around here.

So, looking at keeping my subaru for most of my driving, but would like a truck for
    -carrying a snowmobile in the back in the winter
    -get up the nasty forestry roads around here in the summer.
    -4x4 is a must
    -reliability is important
    -good gas mileage is secondary as I won't be driving it a huge amount

Never owned a truck or even a domestic, don't want to spend more than around $5000 canadian.

Toyotas are too pricey for me
    Seems to be lots of early-mid 90s f150s around, same with Chevys anything to look out for?
    90s mazdas and rangers look ok too, although i would then need to build a deck to carry a snowmobile

I'm pretty shit at mechanical stuff, so don't want some project truck, or doing lots of mods to a stock truck

I'd go with Japaneese. Toyota, Nissan or Mazda. You may have to get some helper springs for the rear to carry a sled. In europe we don't have American style pickups so people put sleds in the back of japaneese pickups. (yes we do have ford rangers but it's a nissan with a ford badge not the same truk as stateside).

Reliability, driveability and gas milage you will be better off. plus you can get through narrower gaps.
    Knowledge is Powder

pre 88 toyota should be under $5000, and great durability (other then the rust on the box)

Get a toyota!!

Saw an 83 yota yesterday with 380,000 miles and original owner!!

An old Toyota with add a leafs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

toyota

it may be more $$$ upfront but if you look at it from a cost per mile or yr or however you want to look at it...it will be cheaper in the end. i bought a used toyota and drove it for a yr and sold it for $800 more than i bought it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Mazda.
    Mazdas are ford rangers

Honestly, in that price range, it hardly matters what brand you get.

Things that are more important are size/clearance/engine, specifically what you think would work better for you. If you think that a mintruck + 4 or 6 cyls will work then a ranger/mazda should be a pretty solid choice, despite being Murikan they run forever (so do S10s) and tend to be a lot less expensive than toyos.

If you want a fullsize + v8 there again, you're looking at a pretty open field. I'm not partial to IFS but you're likely there anyway so even chevy's are in your arena.

Big or small, IMVHO for what you're after a 5spd is not optional, much less fussy than an auto.

In that price range you're also looking at potentially buying some well tended to "classics" and you might find that attractive. A well set-up mid 80s chevy p/u would be pretty bomb for that and cheap/easy to fix.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Realistically you won't fit a sled in the back of a Toyota. And the helper springs won't change your GVW. Since lots of guys overload their trucks the police are always on the lookout. If the sled's on a trailer then a V6 Toyota could be ok but if you want a truck then a 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed (8') is the way to go. The cost is about the same as a 1/2T and you get a much bigger payload, bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger tranny, etc.

When test driving check the 4WD too. Take it on the highway (2WD) -- any vibration is bad and don't buy the "tires aren't balanced" excuse. There's a lot of reason for vibration and they're all pricey to fix if you're not a DIY type. Avoid any truck that been used for wheeling, has big tires, has a lot of lift -- there's a lot of extra wear and tear. Crawl underneath and look for bent and dented parts.

Since you're looking for reliable and aren't mechanical you might want to have it inspected. It'll cost $100 - $200 but then you'll know.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Realistically you won't fit a sled in the back of a Toyota.
    Well, damn. I better quit doing it, then.

It does sound like an older Chevy 1/2ton or Ford F-150 would fit and they're all over the place, especially if you widen your search into Ab.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    ...especially if you widen your search into Ab.
    Oh yeah, never buy an Alberta truck.

In BC, given a VIN you can look up the past AirCare inspections (odometer and pass/fail mainly) -- you'll get a feel for odometer tampering and how well the engine's running.

For $20 ICBC will send you a past claims report which is handy for major damage and will tell you if the vehicle is from out of province.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Buy a toyota T100, mine has been super reliable, its a bigger body then the tacomas, but still has a v6 which I like, as I dont pull a ton of shit and dont need a v8. The bed fits my ski-doo summer 800 w/151 track, but the track does hang off the tail gate about a foot. It does great in 4x4 and I have to work pretty hard to get it stuck. I dont know if they made a long bed model, but I would get one if they did.

If you do get a t100, make sure you swap out the metal links that support the tailgate with some braided wire, the links are too long, and will allow the tailgate to sit on the bumper with a sled it back. This caused my tailgate to crack, as there was so much unsupported weight when I would load/unload the sled. otherwise, it is an awesome truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Oh yeah, never buy an Alberta truck.
    Yeah, 'cause there's no chance that a BC truck will have been used in the oilpatch or forestry.
    There's this cool tool known as Carfax that'll tell you everything ICBC will and a ton of lower mileage trucks in Ab that've never seen anything more strenuous than hauling 2x4s back from Home Depot.

The usual reason an Alberta truck ends up on the left coast is because it's been flogged and someone is trying to cover it up. All the nice Alberta trucks stay in Alberta. BC forestry trucks end up rolled off a cliff because it's fun to watch.

The usual reason an Alberta truck ends up on the left coast is because it's been flogged and someone is trying to cover it up. All the nice Alberta trucks stay in Alberta. BC forestry trucks end up rolled off a cliff because it's fun to watch.
    I know what you mean about guys bringing crap out there, I got burned on one a few years ago that left me carless for a year. If you're careful and shop around online, there are a lot of decent trucks out here for cheap though.

thanks for the help guys, probly just look for an f150/chevy as they are everywhere, cheap and I won't have to screw around building a deck to put the sled on. toyotas are nice, but ppl ask retarded prices for rusted out, 300 000kms trucks, and for the amount of kms i plan to put on it (not many) i don't know if it's worth it

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    have you thought about the 1st gen Dodge with a Cummins in them? great truck and can pick them up fairly inexpensive AND you get AWESOME kpl
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Realistically you won't fit a sled in the back of a Toyota. And the helper springs won't change your GVW. Since lots of guys overload their trucks the police are always on the lookout. If the sled's on a trailer then a V6 Toyota could be ok but if you want a truck then a 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed (8') is the way to go. The cost is about the same as a 1/2T and you get a much bigger payload, bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger tranny, etc.
    I fit a 152" track sled in my 94 Toyota which i bought for around 5000 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I fit a 152" track sled in my 94 Toyota which i bought for around 5000 USD.
    I had to look it up and I'm suprised to find the payload of a Tacoma is (a little) higher than my 1/2T truck.