A Rare Nickel: Big Bro Review

6'2" 250lbs

Skiing Mammoth Slush

Ski: Big Bro with a custom touch for this coin geek.
    Length:192cm
    Tip: Big
    Waist: Perfect
    Tail: "mini" twin

For those of you who don't know, I am a numismatist. Yes, I am seeking help for the numismatic problem as well as the severe gear addiction.
    But for once being a numismatist felt like fate. Let me explain. Splat showed up to the mammoth mini with a few pairs of skis. As I glanced over in the direction of his hoard, there was one pair of boards that called my name. After a bit of drooling, Splat generously offered to allow me to take these mysterious beasts for a ride. A quick flex disclosed a soft but even bend. Destiny would have it that the bindings would be set to exactly my bootsole. I eagerly headed off to hop on the next chair.
    Conditions were heavy and sloppy. The big bros just plowed right through anything in there way while keeping a damp ride. They are nimble enough to style bumps and they are fat so I can't wait to get them into the deep stuff.

As I pulled back to the drunk Maggot Fest, I proclaimed my love. I bought a pair on the spot and these will be my new everyday ski. I encourage everyone to check these out as they maybe the only ski I've ever seen with the versitility for every condition and the ability to handle it all at the top of the game. Look for me on the slopes with a huge smile and a very special nickel.

thanks Splat and pm gear!!

-aaron

come on people
    the design cant be *that* perfect
    eventually ill get some feedback from someone to make them even better, or actually get a chance to ride someone's

surprised to hear you describe them as soft.
    can you compare them to another ski?
    everyone else has said theyre pretty beefy.

anyway, glad you liked the 192s!

Darn, I thought this thread was about climbing!

"Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    come on people
    eventually ill get some feedback from someone to make them even better, or actually get a chance to ride someone's

surprised to hear you describe them as soft.
    can you compare them to another ski?
    everyone else has said theyre pretty beefy.

anyway, glad you liked the 192s!
    "eureka! i figured out the secret to the perfect ski! just add 15mm to the dimensions!" bro reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt, every ski has its strengths and weaknesses, everything is a compromise, what makes a ski better at one thing makes it less good at something else.. but you'll be hard pressed to find a bro review that says anything other than "these ski's are perfect for anyone skiing anything!". sadly the laws of physics (and reality) dictate that this simply is not possible, although i'm sure they're a great ski.

yea i know to take any review here with a grain of salt
    some more than others, but still, rather than the obvious that its not going to preform as well in bumps or hardpack because its wider, youd figure there would be some more constructive criticsm. IE tail\shovel is too hooky, too damp, not enough shovel, i dont know?

ive also come to the realization that skis are pretty simple, and so long as you dont go too far in any one direction with a certain variable, its hard to make a *bad* ski. Really looking forward to getting feedback of this next ski as its a synthesis of a lot of skis, but rooted down with the PM Gear core and manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    come on people
    flat light, heavy wet glop snow and low angles. put these three things together and i didn't like these skis. but really almost every ski sucks in these conditions.
    these skis were not made for mellow meadow skipping.

dislikes:
    weight - i check in at 160# these skis are ~5,200g (at least mine are), i tour almost all of the time, these are at my upper max for earn your turns weight.

that is honestly my only dislike. i've been down steeps on them which is a blast, but haven't been in a couloir with them so maybe i don't like them there?

nice design pechelman.

thanks!

pat and I already have a plan to lighten all of them up a good bit

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    "eureka! i figured out the secret to the perfect ski! just add 15mm to the dimensions!" bro reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt, every ski has its strengths and weaknesses, everything is a compromise, what makes a ski better at one thing makes it less good at something else.. but you'll be hard pressed to find a bro review that says anything other than "these ski's are perfect for anyone skiing anything!". sadly the laws of physics (and reality) dictate that this simply is not possible, although i'm sure they're a great ski.
    I didn't say they were perfect for everyone in all conditions. I said they were perfect for me and that everyone should do themselves a favor and check them out. You can take what I say with a grain of salt but I put my money where my mouth was. My Seths are on gear swap and my ANTs will be relegated to "back-up" status. I so much confidence in this ski that it will be going with me to every mountain that I travel to next season, regardless of terrain or condition. The sidecut bites on hardpack and the girth/size lets them run to you hearts desire.

Pechelman- you just earned my first use of the finger mustache. The pair I have are softer than the pairs he is producing now and I weigh 250lbs.

-aaron

Skis are what you put into them - on both ends, making them and skiing them.
    PM Gear is here to take the input of you maggots and make them better every run we do at the factory.
    Glad you dig them, Aaron. A guy your size needs a ski that big - at least!

Pechelman- they really are great ski's. I had a ton of fun on them this past weekend (the same ones aaron bought), and really wish i was big enough to handle them; I guess I'll have to bulk up 100lbs durring the offseason. The conditions at mammoth were perfect for them (Slush bumps), and hauling ass on a ski of that length that is that stable is something i could only dream about on the 179 softs.

If I sell my KW Fats, I will be buying the 192s. It is as simple as that; they are my favorite ski in the slush I have ever ridden, at least when i am in the open.

If you want to make them better, all i can think is more nickles in the topsheet for dampening
    "commas are overrated...probably the only thing you learned." - Anonymous

"It's a fucking apostrophe, you fucking moron."- Darkside