WTF - Colorado Health Insurance

I was recently offered a job at a company that will not cover my health insurance for the first 6 months - and then I will be eligible for insurance, but it is damn expensive... roughly $1000/ month.

I was looking through the options for health care for my family and only one provider in Colorado even offers any sort of insurance for maternity care and it maxes out at like $4000 toward delivery expenses, etc. I think the bill for our last kid was like $10k+... but I didn't even pay attention because our current insurance payed the whole bill.

So what the hell do people do? just save up a shit ton of money to payoff a delivery? I thought we'd go w/ kaiser - but they don't cover ANY maternity costs.

my best bet so far seems to be to get 80/20 United - add the maternity options and pay $550 / month for insurance... try to save some money and see if I can negotiate a price w/ a hospital for a delivery.

thank god my wife's not pregnant yet.

any input?

c'mon... I leave the door wide open w/ that last line and NOBODY wants to answer??

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post

any input?

Wrap that rascal for the next 6 months?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

do you speak spanish?

then maternity care is free

nothing of value to contribute. but i always laugh at your screenname.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    I was recently offered a job at a company that will not cover my health insurance for the first 6 months - and then I will be eligible for insurance, but it is damn expensive... roughly $1000/ month.

I was looking through the options for health care for my family and only one provider in Colorado even offers any sort of insurance for maternity care and it maxes out at like $4000 toward delivery expenses, etc. I think the bill for our last kid was like $10k+... but I didn't even pay attention because our current insurance payed the whole bill.

So what the hell do people do? just save up a shit ton of money to payoff a delivery? I thought we'd go w/ kaiser - but they don't cover ANY maternity costs.

my best bet so far seems to be to get 80/20 United - add the maternity options and pay $550 / month for insurance... try to save some money and see if I can negotiate a price w/ a hospital for a delivery.

any input?

It sounds like this company has some really shitty insurance. $1000 a month? That's not a benefit. I have Cigna (used to have United with my other company here) and I pay like $70 a month and the benefits are good. Granted, my girlfriend isn't pregnant so I havne't looked into that, but it sounds like this company has a horseshit plan anyways. And 6 months to be eligible? WTF?

Yep, for 927/ month for the family plan w/ United... it covers everything w/ a $20 co-pay. no deductible and no co-insurance (80-20)... so you have no out of pocket... but you spend $11k/ year on insurance. I guess if we know we're going to be planning to have another kiddo - we gotta pay somewhere... upfront w/ expensive insurance or at the hospital w/ an expensive maternity bill.

insurance co's stick it to small businesses that don't have any leverage.

Brettf - glad you like it.

That is quite a comprehensive policy. No wonder it is so expensive. I have United at a much lower level than that and it is reasonable. Your employer offers no other options?

I work for the same firm as Brettf. We have a lot of options in insurance and they cost significantly less than your new employer's plan. But we take out the difference from your soul.

Just kidding! You could do a lot worse than to work for us. What do you do?
    Last edited by telepariah; 04-27-2007 at 08:47 AM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

I'm a programmer - TSQL and web based applications. they are making up the $ in the salary ... which helps, but it was just a HUGE shock that no colorado individual insurance plans will offer maternity coverage.

check blue cross/blue shield
    www.anthem.com

there are a bunch of different plans to pick from. You can probably find something to fit your budget

Don't have anymore kids.....is that too logical of an answer?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    check blue cross/blue shield
    www.anthem.com

there are a bunch of different plans to pick from. You can probably find something to fit your budget
    checked them out... unfortunately none of their individual plans offer any maternity coverage. even the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Don't have anymore kids.....is that too logical of an answer?
    to my wife - kids are not like a cock pushup.

one is not all you need.

try explaining to her that there is a MASSIVE population problem in the world currently. Adopt a kid from China that needs a home. We are currently exploring that idea....much cheaper than in the US and an opportunity to totally change a kids life.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

a good friend is going through the adoption process in china. he is supposed to be in one of the next tiers to get a baby. He said it has probably cost him $20,000 to this point.

We don't have that kind of money.

we have discussed adoption an number of times. For a couple of reasons it's not been high on our list of options... but I'm w/ you on the overpopulation issue.

Also... a woman's desire to have another child - especially the giving birth part is not to be underestimated. my wife LOVED the experience and can pretty much break down crying just talking about it. try telling her that she can't do it one more time.

ONE more time. then snip.

9 years married and no kids yet. We love our personal freedom too much to do it yet. We may have one, or we may adopt. Adoption can be expensive, the firm we are looking at in China is about 12k plus some travel etc.... US adoptions can be 50k or more.

Insurance sucks!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Alright - so here's what I've found. Colorado allows for independent contractors (non-w2) to be eligible for small group coverage (a group of 1). So you can get maternity insurance via small group coverage - but it costs a bit more.... but you are covered - so if your newborn ends up in a NNICU for 5 days - you don't have a $120,000 bill waiting for you.

In my case, it looks like I'm going to probably get a co-insurance package for $400 a month for the next 6 months - and pay out of pocket if my wife needs pregnancy visits - then pickup the expensive coverage until she delivers - then drop back down to an 80-20.

you might have issues trying to pick up the expensive coverage once she is preg. based on it being a pre-existing condition.

I have a few ideas that may help you. I work with businesses on insurance coverage. I sent you my phone# in a PM.

-D
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

insurance

If you only need health care coverage for six months I would look into getting a TONIK plan. It is through Blue Cross Blue Shield. I have it and i get two trips to the dentist/yr $50 toward eye care, and $30 for generic drugs etc. They are kind of pricks about taking their time to reimburse me, but that's what insurance companies do. Anyway I pay $100/month--- so check it out, it may or may not work for you.

Dang, 1000/month? Even without having to pay the 80/20 that sucks!

I pay about 20/month.

Work for UPS out at DIA.
    The Twilight shift was 8-10 pm. Full medical and dental coverage for 2 hours of work. Some people were out of there in about an hour. When our son was born our out of pocket expanse was like $100. I had thousand of dollars of dental work done.

A bunch of people were small business owners who were getting crushed on insurance premiums.

COLORADO HEALTH INSURANCE

A few ideas might help you. I work with businesses to make sure they have insurance. You got my number in a text message. When she gets pregnant, you might have a hard time getting her to buy the expensive insurance because it's already been in her body.

I wonder if AFLAC coverage would help cover the new child expenses?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.