Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: The works (biggest line of my life TR)

I gravitate to some lines more than others. Some faces beg me to ski them. Trees often draw me in. Occasionally, a chute make my imagination run wild. Certain cliff bands seem to have a desire to be hit. Each mountain calls to me differently and some more effectively than others.

I watched a video of some local rippers skiing the dive recently and one of the lines caught my eye. I was consumed by it. I searched for beta for it but found none. I had skied past it many times and never truly seen it. Our snowpack is still deep and I knew that if I wanted it this year I might only have one or two more shots at it.
    I felt sick with anticipation because I knew what I wanted to do.

The line (hereby referred to as "the works". I don't know the real name and this is what I've coined it for now, for reasons that I will explain later, until somebody corrects me.)

We started the day off with a lap through the dive to check out the landing and make some turns. Snow was amazing for this time of the year, plenty of powder all over the dive. I even found a new route into the upper bowl with a super smooth 10 ft air in.

Jeff getting some early morning lovin.

Did I mention the snow?

My other partner, Jack, likes what he sees and dives in.

After scouting out the air we headed over to this little ramp through the sugars. It's super filled in and about as easy as it gets to ski right now.

While I was skiing pretty well I wasn't sure if I going to go for it at this point. The exposure was potentially fatal and I didn't want to drop in if I had any doubts.

Off to goat's eye for a lap through the upper south chutes. Lots of wet sluffs. Luckily the works is on the north side and stays in the shade almost all day.

I decided to warm up with a little straightline.

weeeeeeee....

My partners opted for a slightly different route. Jack showcasing his carving skill.

Jeff finds some wet freshies.

Jack lower down, more carving...what's up with that?

I continually looked back at the works as we hiked. Once our run was done, I knew it was time.

It's not my first time skiing above exposure and I estimated the air to be 15-20ft. I was wrong.

After some careful route finding...

If you look closely at the upper left you can see me carving my way onto the ramp.

I skied close to the upper rocks in order to give myself the maximum safety net if I did fall. However, this would put me completely out of sight from my partners for some time. I skied over to a little wind lip spine and started making small controlled turns down it. I wanted to get into the chute above my exit as late as possible so if any instabilities surprised me I would have a good chance of punching in instead of being swept off the bottom air.

My sluff was the only way my partners knew I was making any progress. The ridge was letting it fall away from me on both sides. It's a very cool feeling to be skiing while the snow is in constant motion around you. Bobbing back and forth I made a few more turns on the ridge and then crept down into the chute.

Poking my head out on the exit, feeling very very small. I realized quickly I was going to have to be facing the other way in order to take the cliff how I wanted to. I've never made such a precise or focused jump turn before.

The landing flattens out quickly and I didn't want to much speed. I decided to roll down the small chute in front of me but it steepens out so fast that I ended up airing almost as soon as I got into it.

Committing. I am basically off the snow at this point and can finally spot my landing.
    It's a wild feeling to soar over a cliff. Your skis are suddenly silent, no sounds of edges fighting snow. In fact, everything becomes silent except for your throbbing heart. The air is still and crisp. Tunnel vision takes over and all you can see is your landing. Your mind is so focused on a singular task that it blocks out any possible distraction. Nothing matters but the next few seconds. The end result. Time has no meaning, it simply stops. A moment of eternity.

My moment.

Hot tubbing my landing. The snow was perfect.

I ended up doing a little roll to get back onto my skis. I'm not really sure why but I threw my helmet down the apron on impulse. I needed to breathe.

Tracks on the ridge, and bottom air out the left...

We rode down for lunch and my hands occasionally trembling with left over adrenaline. I wasn't going to stop for lunch but I needed a mental break. The cook asked me what I wanted on my burger. I replied, "The works". I wanted to temporarily name that line (until I find the real name) so I could talk about it easier and I found "the works" to be extremely suitable. Exposure, spines, mellow pow pitches on top, a steep and narrow chute, technical stages with rock, and of course the exit air.

I enjoyed my burger very much.
    Big mountain or Bust.

Nice work!!!!!!

sweet, good description of going off the cliff

Dang!!
    nice lines looks like you had a better weekend then i did ( well line wise)
    makes me feel like i should have followed you and hit that line instead of the skimpy line i hit.

Awesome read. Thanks
    you made me feel like I was there.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta_hoser View Post
    my hands occasionally trembling with left over adrenaline.
    Those are the great moments. When you are still pumped after doing something that gets you amped and your hands get that shake.

Nice line. Congrats.

Love the stoke. I like the name, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Good work. Pretty awesome feeling when challenge yourself and succeed, eh. Now onto more steeps and bigger hucks

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful. Sounds like you were in control the whole time.

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    This ranks as one of the finest TRs I've read in my short time on this forum. Very solid work on a very nice line.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

very nice work, way more a balls than me for sure!!!

Sick Airtime Bra!

called "no way out"

from the first pic, just as the red line starts, take a look straight up. (out of site of the pic) you can come in thru that line too.

from the 4th pic, you go in just where you can see a bomb line, (left of the high point in the pic)

start with going into bree X, down the first normal 30 ft, then make a HARD left for about 100 ft to a small, secondary bowl, and ski that down. no air, just some tight, techy billy goating. Please scope this line carfully, its a VERY long rag doll to the bottom if you don't make a turn.
    Last edited by mntlion; 04-24-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steepdeepnlong View Post
    This ranks as one of the finest TRs I've read in my short time on this forum. Very solid work on a very nice line.
    You need to read more TRs.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

nice report, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by salomon_gun View Post
    Dang!!
    nice lines looks like you had a better weekend then i did ( well line wise)
    makes me feel like i should have followed you and hit that line instead of the skimpy line i hit.
    I actually hit that on Saturday. That's what I was trying to tell you about.
    I saw your tracks, I was hoping you were doing one of the really long ones.

But, you guys are bad luck for me anyways. I've fallen down that drop in maybe 2 or 3 times this entire season and you and your posse were there for 2 of them

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    called "no way out"

from the first pic, just as the red line starts, take a look straight up. (out of site of the pic) you can come in thru that line too.

from the 4th pic, you go in just where you can see a bomb line, (left of the high point in the pic)

start with going into bree X, down the first normal 30 ft, then make a HARD left for about 100 ft to a small, secondary bowl, and ski that down. no air, just some tight, techy billy goating. Please scope this line carfully, its a VERY long rag doll to the bottom if you don't make a turn.
    I doubt it'll be going down this year, but thanks for the info. I'll take a look this weekend. VERY long rag doll? Speaking from experience or witnessing such an event?
    Last edited by alberta_hoser; 04-24-2007 at 07:54 PM.
    Big mountain or Bust.

that was pretty sweet

This shot is so nice... I love it!

VERY long rag doll? Speaking from experience or witnessing such an event?

was skiing with a friend when she high sided on turn #3. 1500-2000ft later, a dented helmet, bruised elbow, and all is good.

Very scary for all three of us (Merlyn "the lurker" was with us)

But, you guys are bad luck for me anyways. I've fallen down that drop in maybe 2 or 3 times this entire season and you and your posse were there for 2 of them

Ha we must be bad luck; Skifree did it once while we were looking, and ended up launching his skis 15ft into the air while trying to dump speed.

Hey man, you should check out the galaxy ridge drop in for Steel Pipe, I think it may be within your reach...

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Ha we must be bad luck; Skifree did it once while we were looking, and ended up launching his skis 15ft into the air while trying to dump speed.
    i would have to guess AH's skis went further than 15ft. it was impressive to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post

Hey man, you should check out the galaxy ridge drop in for Steel Pipe, I think it may be within your reach...

This one? No thanks.

That little cornice drop I fell down is my standard entrance, I was launching a bigger 10ft cornice into the dive all weekend fine until that lap I decided to try my standard route despite it's conditions. This is the bad luck I'm talking about.
    Last edited by alberta_hoser; 04-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Big mountain or Bust.

Size. Word. Tru dat.

Verry nice. I skied a similar line.....in my dreams.
    its the whisky talking