Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Superb job on the TR. It was great to meet you all after reading your stunningly oddball posts for the last year. Squirrel, where's that money shot of my long pull on the screwcap Riesling bottle? And my award for scariest ski rig (not to mention worst on-hill performance) for the Rossi Strato 105 215's with S40 clamps, all circa 1968? I thought for sure I'd get a coupla bonus points for the setup even though I couldn't ski for shit.

I have to add my little tale to this too. When I arrived at Alpental - with my 12 yr old and his pal well trained to ask people if they had change for a nickle - I pulled out my longboards and grabbed a run. No sign of other longboarders except for a few floks who looked like they could be participants but didn't seem to be expressing any irony in their fartbags (see pic and please note my son in the background demonstrating the kid-point. He's a futre mag for sure.) and long stix. Amazing how many people STILL ski in the gear were in/on as ther serious gear. Bless their little hearts.

As I skied I began to become convinced that Longboard Day at Alpental was the equivalent of a TGR snipe hunt and that somewhere there were a bunch of longtime members ensconced by a warm fire drinking tequila howling with laughter knowing that there were a handful of JONGs like me bashing around the hill on 215s looking like total gapers. It wasn't until I had put the longs away and swithed out to more conventional sliders that I ran into the troops. Needless to say I was somewhat relieved, and got out the stratos once more.

Hope to run in to y'all again before next year's event. You guys skied great on those goddam things. My hat's off to you all.

My pics below.

All I can say is that skiing on 215's is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

Simply fabulous! The prize (at least from the pics) goes to BenWA for skiing steeze, and Squirrel for the collar on the jacket which screams style! Honorary mention to BenWA for style with the glasses/goggles combo. Very excellent work, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    300 bonus points to BC and Ol Moss for wearing jeans in the rain.

Agreed, but I think the bandana is worth 500 bonus lightning-round points.

Awesome TR...

I'm really disappointed we missed the festivities, but the North Shore Ripper had to be done. Why the f*ck do these things fall on the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear View Post

Agreed, but I think the bandana is worth 500 bonus lightning-round points.
    Us old guys remember the bandana well!

DAMN. Nice work kids. BenWA's impressive steeze and style take the cake for me though Squirrel's spreader and BC Flow's scary facial hair "thing" are tying for second place. I will be there next year....
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

that was impressive! taking on the bumps with skis that are longer than the list of people paris hilton has poked, very nice... i like the vail lift ticket for $42. that kinda dough now-a-days will only get you a latte and a danish on vail mountain

Well done
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Z-Bo's sweater is pretty sweet, too. Someone needs to get him a pair of iSki sunglasses and his outfit will be complete for next year.

Quality stuff right there gentlemen!

Someone pulled into the parking lot in an 80's van - mag wheels, no rear side windows except for the little bubble window in the very back corner and slats on the backdoor windows. When I saw it, I was thinking to myself "Wow, if someone pulled that one out for longboard day they're really dedicated." Alas, it was not a maggot driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Totally Rad! Makes me wish I hadn't skipped closing day here for the backcountry.

So, which classic cassettes were you playing at the bbq?
    Van Halen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    100 bonus points to Greydon for the fluorescent orange camo jacket. I've always wanted one of those.

200 bonus points to BenWA for the Schmidt steeze.

300 bonus points to BC and Ol Moss for wearing jeans in the rain.

200 bonus points to Shin for clothing with triangles.

1,000 bonus points for skiing any of those lines drunk

-100 for champagne in the cooler. The only champagne that belongs in there is the Champagne of Beers.

-1,000,000 to anyone who "participated" on less than 210s.
    We're not about deducting points up around these here parts. We're a peaceful bunch. Sounds like someone's bitter that our ski area has a bigger base now, then their's did all season. All we are saying, is give peace a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by girlski0912
    and BC Flow's scary facial hair "thing" are tying for second place.
    BC Flow's facial hair reached the level of sleeziness that prevents you from getting approval from your girlfriend's father and brother.

That was seriously a good day, prior to my unfortunate "event". I don't even know how that shoulder thing happened, I slow rolled over the handlebars into the deep, wet slop going about 2 mph...normally no big deal, it was soft and deep...but then I felt (and heard) a pop in my shoulder, and couldn't move my arm after that. What the..?? How did that happen?

I was bummed, cuz I had so much more in store for the day (backscratchers, helicopters, and maybe even a screamin' seaman). Not to mention so Schmidt style "crossovers" off of extreme cliff drops.

I honestly can't believe, though, that everyone made it thru the weekend skiing that slop on LB's with no blown knees in the end.

Z-bo has some more pix to share, no?

p.s., this is a pretty rad one:

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99 View Post

Next year, we’re getting some of these

Wow, it's my friend Ron Mickleberry on the skibob! He's been doing that for over 30 yrs, has a big collection of them including some from the 60s! He goes to races and gatherings in places like Purgatory, Big Mountain and where ever they let you ride those things. He also is a fine square dance caller.

All in all it looks like a fun day was had that would bring tears to Glen Plake's eyes
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    All in all it looks like a fun day was had that would bring tears to Glen Plake's eyes
    To steal a post from SilentStorm in the Plake thread:

"I didn't have my 225's on here or I woulda stuck this...but it sure looked good on film! ahhaha!!"

wow did we not get any detail shots of my "dirty" stash? bummer.

when i picked up gradon in the morning the first thing he had to say was "i'm worried you are going to punch me in the face for no reason."

huge props to squirrel for throwing that spreader and benWA just makes it all look smooth and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
    Z-bo has some more pix to share, no?
    Zbo's got some photos to post; Greydon & BC may have a few more to add

Looking back, there were so many more hits that needed to get dropped, but the shoulder thing and the glop kinda took the wind out of the sails from the crew (or maybe it was the booze?) i dunno but I can't believe we forgot to go back and hit those ledges off skier's left of Adrenaline

Next year, we may need to try this at Stevens so we can have full use of a terrain park to add to the gNaR!!!
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 04-18-2007 at 01:48 PM.

^^^^^

A great match for 215cm skis with those tiny 30" ski poles.

Because "dude, you don't need poles to ski park"

Let the record show that I skied in slates mens dress slacks all day long!

Next year ill get it right.......

nice old school boyne steeze

Forgot how fun my big yellow atomic 220 SG's are

Got them out of the shed after many years and skied them at Lutson's meltdown weekend.
    I had a blast, even skied Hari kari's slush bumps on them. Didn't see any other long boards out but saw a few bouncing bikini's .
    Plus Sunday skiing was FREE. Well worth the 4 hr drive.

Greydon, where's the team photo we shot in the morning?

Squirrel, check that shot 6 vid, it's only 2 seconds long.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

i might have -1,000,000 points for lack of ski, but i made up for it with drunk.

longboard day was an overall success. all i can say is look for me in vintage sweaters on all ski occassions from here on out. i've never felt so pimp about an outfit. ever. enough about me, what about you? what do you think of skiing?!?.........

"lets go ski! i bet it's good up there!" as only squirrel can do

then lays down the slay as only squirrel can do

except when he's upside down in a little tree

but as all squirrels do, they get back on their feet and do whatever it is that squirrels do. i think they ski.

my MVP for the day was this feller! ultimate neon outfit, and uber mad steeze on the longboards. he's a winner....a shin-to-winner!

then there's scott schmibenwa. i think he hurt his shoulder schmearing turns all over the mountain. heal up buddy

and a nice one of 'ol mossback slayin it. killer hanging with you buddy. this guy definitely keeps it REAL.

sorry to everyone i didn't get a picture of. what can i say, i was trying to get drunk bonus points for riding on a touring setup.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by girlski0912 View Post
    DAMN. Nice work kids. I will be there next year....
    Sweet! Banana Pants steeze in 2008
    (just leave the clappers at home)