Page 59 of 144 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

I definitely have a less consistent foot strike on the left and getting shoes with a bigger heel has crossed my mind. But the shoes are comfortable on roads and flatter trails. I'll add that I don't have an issue with going downhill. It's going up that feels bad. It feels like my left leg suspension is bottoming out, if that makes sense. Right leg feels great.
    Bigger as in you want more drop or bigger as in more cushioning? I'd venture the heel cushioning isn't causing achilles pain (especially if you're already on Hokas), on the up if you have an inconsistent strike I think you're probably loading your forefoot more and putting more strain on your achilles. You may also have an inconsistent stride not just foot strike. I dunno, I'm an amateur at this stuff. I was born without cartilage in my sub-talar joints in both feet and up into my early 20's, until I figured out what was going on, I literally couldn't run more than a mile without unbearable pain (I was over-striding and heel striking). I had to reteach myself how to run and totally change everything I did, and I've been tweaking it ever since. I think fellrnr knows what he's talking about and if you're overstriding or not averaging around 180 strides per minute I'd start there. So much can be cured with proper cadence. However, achilles issues, in my experience, are more tied to going too far and too long on the forefoot. It especially sounds like this because you refer to your left leg having "suspension", that feeling comes with a solid forefoot strike, if you can get back on your midfoot or even slight heel you won't be loading your achilles and lower calf the same way.

edit: To add, especially because you aren't getting that feeling on the down, you're transitioning more to a mid-heel on the down naturally and therefore your achilles isn't getting all of that force any longer. Consciously change your strike going up and see if it makes a difference.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Any advice on what might be the weak link and how to address it? Calves and glutes?
    Run a variety of terrain, especially uphill.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Bigger as in you want more drop or bigger as in more cushioning?
    I meant more drop. I'm currently running in Kinvaras and Hoka Huakas. Both have little drop.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Run a variety of terrain, especially uphill.
    Thanks. That will be easier soon. Only 3 more weeks in Brooklyn.

Just ordered some Altra paradigm 1.5's. Anybody try these or other fat shoes they make? Thoughts vs hoka?
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Just ordered some Altra paradigm 1.5's. Anybody try these or other fat shoes they make? Thoughts vs hoka?
    I've got 40-50 miles on a pair of Olympus 2.0's. I really like them a lot. I wore out a pair of Altra One 2.5's before this and I do notice the extra weight of the Olympus but I can run so much farther without fatigue and the traction is great on trail. The sole is also holding up MUCH better - only got around 250 miles out of the One 2.5's.

I'm sold on the Olympus, I'll be ordering it again as long as the sole holds up, which with the new Vibram formulation it should.

GF has Hoka and seems to like them but she was in Nike's before and before that was in an Altra stability shoe and it was NOT right for her. I personally think very few people need control and it can really screw up things, but YMMV. I like the toebox on the Altra, it might feel weird at first if you're not used to your toes being free, just give it some time.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I would concur that the Altra ultra-padded shoes are great and nice to have for those of us who don't fit in newer Hoka's (hint...if you find a pair of Hoka's you like, buy a bunch because they will fuck them up when they update them). Switching to Altras fixed my blister issues but I do have a wear issue on them but a little shoe goo is far better than blisters.

Running, Anyone...?

In July 2015, Scott set the world-record for traversing the Appalachian National Scenic Trail faster than any other runner in history.
    He completed the 2,189-mile route from Georgia to Maine in 46 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes, starting at Springer Mountain and ending by climbing Mt. Katahdin.

In just under 7 weeks, he ran what takes most other hikers about 6 months. Scott crossed 14 different states, and gained and lost elevation equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest an astonishing 16 times.

No newcomer to extraordinary endurance challenges, Scott holds numerous titles in distances ranging from 50 kilometers to 153 miles from races like the Badwater Ultramarathon, Western States Endurance Challenge and Spartathlon.

Brooks made 2,189 (a pair for each mile Scott ran) pairs out of two pairs of Scott Jurek's shoes and recycled them into the soles.

Mine's 205/2,189.

How cool are my new trail running shoes??

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1470686248.096385.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  425.4 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1470686234.892800.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  357.8 KB
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 08-08-2016 at 02:57 PM.

running is for people who dont have mountain bikes.

I have three mountain bikes.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

That's pretty fuckin cool. The jurek thing I mean. What wasn't that cook were the chills I had after running 12 yesterday. Wtf is that? 85 degrees and I was shivering. Maybe the 9th beer the night before wasn't a great idea? No one hitter in the way out the door either- wife hawkin me too much
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Sure was a nice morning for a run yesterday. My mileage has been way down lately since I've been busy with other summer stuff but it was great to get out and play for a bit on my favorite stretch of the Highline.

And yeah, those Jurek are hawt! Do want!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    That's pretty fuckin cool. The jurek thing I mean. What wasn't that cook were the chills I had after running 12 yesterday. Wtf is that? 85 degrees and I was shivering. Maybe the 9th beer the night before wasn't a great idea? No one hitter in the way out the door either- wife hawkin me too much
    Friend just actually had something similar happen to him on a warm day in the Bay Area. I think he also mentioned multiple beers...so I think it must be a electrolyte/hydration imbalance. Doesn't sound fun.

Anyone played around with Lumo Run yet? New sensor that I've started hearing about: http://www.lumobodytech.com/lumo-run/

Btw, Sharman ran 16:22 for Leadville this weekend. Amazing performance.

Been running more lately after taking a lot of time off due to sucky knees. Stoked to have bought a pair of Newton's as those are working well for my "new" forefoot strikes. I'm still limiting my runs to 3-4 miles, but certainly has helped my mtn biking as well.

Running is great therapy for the mind.

I'm trying to work into it.

I have had notoriously bad luck with my knees running on hard surfaces (asphalt and concrete sidewalks). After my last stint in May I had tendinitis that lasted over a month.

I finally have a grass field right next to where I live and have been doing about 7-8 miles a week. Nothing crazy but it feels good.

Stepped wrong landing a pendulum while rock climbing the day before the Mammoth Half Marathon, so was out for the race, and was on crutches, cane, limping for six weeks due to a strained attachment of my gastroc ligament attachment to my calcanious. Lost a good bit of my fitness and am now just getting back to moderate flat runs of 10K, and some hiking on hills, but no uphill runs yet...too much strain on the ligament. I leave for Kilimanjaro in week and a half, so I am trying to get some fitness back without a reinjury. It has been a challenge, but my Hoka's have been great and probably saved the trip.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That sucks... ligaments take forever to heal.
    Mine's screwed up since January and I haven't been running because of that.
    Doc told me it can take upto 2.5-3 years "if" it heals naturally.

Good luck at Kilimanjaro.
    Bring some pics back with you!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Stepped wrong landing a pendulum while rock climbing the day before the Mammoth Half Marathon, so was out for the race, and was on crutches, cane, limping for six weeks due to a strained attachment of my gastroc ligament attachment to my calcanious. Lost a good bit of my fitness and am now just getting back to moderate flat runs of 10K, and some hiking on hills, but no uphill runs yet...too much strain on the ligament. I leave for Kilimanjaro in week and a half, so I am trying to get some fitness back without a reinjury. It has been a challenge, but my Hoka's have been great and probably saved the trip.
    Everything about that sucks, Hutash. What a bummer.

I hope you can get up Kili without too much discomfort though. I mean, that's kind of a once in a lifetime type trip, right? Gotta do everything you can to get up to the top of that sucker. Can't wait to read the TR!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Yeah, I doubt I will ever have a second chance at this, so we really pissed when I did it, and worried that it wouldn't heal in time. The good news is the rehab is coming along fine. Far from perfect, but well enough that it should not be too big a problem. The biggest concern right now is just taking a wrong step and re-injuring it. Did a 15 mile nearly 5K vert hike the other day (equivalent of the Kili summit day without the altitude), and while it hurt, it was tolerable and was okay the next day.

Looking forward to some hypoxic hallucinations at 19,000 feet. TR to follow.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

15m with 5k of vert is a big freaking hike. If you can swing that at home then Kili ought not to pose any insurmountable challenges. That said, I wasn't aware that any of the days on Kilimanjaro were as burly as that, though I'm certainly no expert on the subject. Which route are you taking?

Shira route over seven days, so a pretty easy itinerary, other then the start is at 11,000', but that should be no big deal. The big day is summit day. Midnight start with over 3,000 (15,900'-19,300') in three miles, then 7 mile descent to 10,000'. Total mileage is about 33, so the only real issue is altitude. Highest I have been is climbing Whitney via the mountaineers route, so 19K will be interesting.

I figure if I can cruise a day like I just did at low altitude, I will have the fitness (and know my heal can handle the vert and miles), so all I have to worry about is the altitude, and that is dealt with by going pole pole, which is Swahili for slowly. I am not worried about any of it, except altitude sickness which can affect anybody. I have climbed enough in the US that weather and such isn't a worry, but my wife is much less experienced (but has one 14er under her belt, and a few high backpacking trips), so I want to make sure she will make it as well.

It is possible to do Kili by much shorter routes, but the average success rate is much lower due to poor acclimatization. Besides, this is a professional trip, and we will been having lectures in our mess tent each day, so more time in camp is necessary for that.

iscariot

Back in the saddle. I feel old, slow, and fat, probably because I am. 1/2 marathon in November.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Back in the saddle. I feel old, slow, and fat, probably because I am. 1/2 marathon in November.
    I feel ya.
    I feel the same, plus hurt.
    I don't even think I have a half marathon in me this year.
    Hopefully I'll be in shape and healthy enough to run Chicago marathon next year.
    Good luck in November.

Anyone signed up for Imogene Pass this year?

I'll be popping my Imogene cherry and first time going beyond 13.1.