Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Nice. I hit with a coral colored donnay in 1994 or so.

What's the string pattern on the Fischer? The M-Fils are 18x20 and I think I'd like to try something less dense.

16 x 20

Info here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...CHER-FMSR.html

Review here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...MSRReview.html

It's got good feel and is super forgiving, IMO. The only caveat is you need to provide the power for this stick. It's pretty low powered, but it's light than those Mfils, so you should be able to generate more head speed. If I would keep it, I'd probably get it restrung with a hybrid at a slightly lower tension.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Five pages and no Sharapova pic? For shame!

<insert caption>

Attachment 29430

Sold all rackets but the Yonex RDS 002.

Post from another site's forum.

Couldn't help myself getting this one. For the price, I had to give it a shot. I have not hit with it yet, but I thought I'd throw up some shots next to a PC600.

PC600 vs. DPOINT
    I've got an overgrip all the way up the PC600 grip and over the plastic collar. However, the Donnay still has a noticably shorter grip.

Beam looks about the same.

Grip on the Donnay seems big. Same size grip as PC600, but PC600 has head calfskin AND Pro Overgrip.

Another view (Aside: Can anyone tell me what that black and white string is on the PC600. I got it used, so I don't know, but I like it.)

The PJ is kinda purplish, which I wasn't super excited about, but whatever. Ignore the embarassing shred of chedder on my kitchen floor.

I think the colors on that Donnay are pretty rad.

You find an Mfil 300 yet? I'm going to give that one a try, little bit thicker beam, more open string pattern... and cheap.

I don't dislike the mfill 200 (18x20), but I want easier access to topspin from the baseline. The 18x20 is great for control, but control is boring

mrw, I saw your ad on TT. Could you use a 1/2 grip size? I have a couple mfil 200s in 1/2 that I would sell cheap ($45ish).

Quote Originally Posted by mitch buchannon View Post
    mrw, I saw your ad on TT. Could you use a 1/2 grip size? I have a couple mfil 200s in 1/2 that I would sell cheap ($45ish).
    Thanks but no. I usually buy 2 racquets when I find something I like and I buy one in a 1/4 and one in 3/8. I sleeve the qtr up 1/2 size and depending on the day, one usually feels better than the other.

On another note, here is what I posted @TT regarding my recent experimentation with poly hybrids...

Klipper Power Burst vs TopSpin Cyber Flash vs My Arm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Racquets: Dunlop M-Fil 400

The Strings: Top Spin Cyber Flash 17L (1.20)
    Klipper Power Burst no gauge listed but I'd guess 16
    Both polys were strung in the mains @57lbs. Both crosses were Gosen generic 17G @60lbs

The Arm: Takes a full swing for both forehands and backhands. Works out 4 hrs per week with an SP Pro using Slazenger pressureless balls. Matches on weekends.

Having strung both racquets as described, I hit the courts and set up the SP Pro. I would hit 50 balls with one set up, stop the machine and change racquets. It quickly became obvious that I preferred the racquet strung with Power Burst. There was definitely more controllable power available and more spin options. The down side was the string seemed to transfer every vibration directly to my arm. Harsh in the extreme

In contrast, the Cyber Flash almost felt like a full synthetic gut string job, just a bit crisper/ stiffer. The up side was that it felt WAY easier on my arm.

Within a short time, I was using the racquet strung with Power Burst exclusively.About 1.5 hours into the work out,while at the net practicing volleys, The arm suddenly had enough. I had serious pain starting from an area between my index and middle finger which went all the way to the elbow. I honestly could not grip the racquet at all. This occurred with an instant on suddenness.

I called it a day, loaded up and went home and iced my arm/hand. As I type this, the arm is still moderately uncomfortable.

Conclusion: I am not suited for heavy poly strings. I liked the Cyber Flash and will give it another go but I am restringing the Power Burst racquet with full Gosen Micro and will stick with that until recovered.

I recognize that hard hitting pressureless balls from a ball machine puts added stress on the arm in and of itself, although to date, I have never experienced any arm pain. Poly + pressureless= pain.

I don't doubt that the same result would have resulted in actual match play I think it would have just taken longer.

Edit to add that the Cyber Flash hybrid setup might end up being a tournament use only combination

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Bossass... How do you like the Donnay? I noticed that TW calls for one piece stringing and you appear to have it strung hybrid. What did you use and do you have the pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Hey Bossass... How do you like the Donnay? I noticed that TW calls for one piece stringing and you appear to have it strung hybrid. What did you use and do you have the pattern?
    Here's what I posted on TT. What do you mean by calls for one piece? The recommend that, or they will only string that? If the latter they acutally let you hybrid. I note below what's in there.

Just got back from a hit. Here's a quick review. I got no time to get in depth.

To answer BPs question first: I was thoroughly satisfied with build quality. I guess I've never had a racket with poor build, but I saw nothing on this frame to make me raise an eyebrow. The grip does seem kinda cheap, although it's quite tacky. I put a Wilson Pro on every racket I get, so this is a non issue for me. If I get ambitious later, I might put a leather on their to make it more headlight.

Caveat: I don't do a great deal of thorough racket demoing. I'll base this review off my PC600, which is my stick and I've been hitting with primarily for a while.

It's strung with Luxilon BB Mains at 56 and Bow Gut at 54 in the crosses. The first few hits and I knew I got it strung too loose. This is a very flexible frame. It had some of the post strike wobble that the PC600 has non of. It compares closer to a PS85 or perhaps even closer to a Volkl VE 10. I had plenty of power with the strings the way they were. I instantly noticed more spin than what I get with similar strokes off the PC600. I think when I get it restrung tighter and I'm not afraid to really wail on it, the spin potential will be huge (from what i'm used to anyway). Forehands felt pretty good. I didn't feel like I was getting nearly as much plough through and heavy shots as I do with the PC600. It's wasn't a big deal and I think it will take care of itself with tighter strings. I should also note I was playing with someone who punches at the ball with lots of slice. Not a very traditional or refined game. I'd probably rate him at a 3.5 and me at a 4.5-5.0, although I've never played USTA to figure this out. My point is I can't swing as hard at the ball when it's not coming in very fast, not if I want to keep it in play anyway. Things may have been different had I been with an equally matched partner.

Anyway, after a while I got more used to it. I did go to my PC600 shortly for reference and was framing more shots than usual, indicating to me the 95 in. head really is more friendly than the 89.5. Backhands did lack some pace, but I think that was just figuring out how to swing it. I have issues with my backhand (2HBH) once in a while. It's just a timing thing. I did catch some perfect though, and hit straight at my partner he couldn't return it. On serves I should note I've been hitting with my GF primarily this summer. We rarely ever do more than hit around, thus my serve is in the dumps currently. I did, however, find some good serves with the Donnay. Spin was easy and even though I was slightly mishitting most serves, they still had good pace. Serving all together seemed very comfortable and I think once I figure out my serve and get comfortable in this racket, it will be deadly. Didn't really do much volleying. Control and touch seemed good, however. Not quite as much control when slicing than with a PC600, but tension may help this and it was still very good IMO.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this stick. We'll see how I feel after a couple more sessions. I was very impressed at first with my AK90 and then quickly decided I didn't like it really compared to my PC600. I think the Donnay has more potential, since I didn't love it out of the gates (if that makes sense at all). I like the weight. Very similar to a PC600. I was impressed with shots I could pull off. Whipping crosscourt forehand slices on the run, flicking balls bouncing at my feet. The Donnay could hit shots I'd never get to with my PS85, due to the weight. I like it wear it's at. I'm sure guys with stonger arms will customize these and like them. I'm not giving up my PC600s probably, but I'll put it this way: If all 9 of the PC600s I've been frantically hoarding the last few months got broke or stolen, I'd make this my main stick and be pretty satisfied. That's how I feel at this point anyway. I think TW has a winner here. If they stop making it I'm gonna have to hoard a couple for sure.

anyone watching roddick vs federer? the match is fantastic, but the commentary is even better: john mcenroe and andre agassi in the booth. i've never heard so much insight into the game before.

andre brings a lot of knowledge of the game and thoroughly explains what is happening for the layman. having never heard him do commentary before i'm having a blast!

Racquet update

I bought 2 Dunlap M-Fil 300's which I have matched in weight. This is a really nice racquet. I strung them both with Kirschbaum ProLine 2 18g with Gosen Micro crosses in 18g.

I bought a 4 stripe POG OS at a garage sale for $12.!! It is a 1/4 grip. I sleeved it up one size, installed a new leather grip and strung it with Topspin Cyber Flash 18g mains with Prince Synthetic Gut 17g crosses. Sweet

I am debating about buying a Dunlap MaxPly McEnroe (the new version) It's pretty cheap but I am tempted to buy the new Donnay instead.

Still liking the Donnay Bossass?

I also picked up a couple mfil 300s... both are ~57lbs with 16g PSGD. Liking them lots more than the 200 (18x20) thus far, but I need to add some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Racquet update

I bought 2 Dunlap M-Fil 300's which I have matched in weight. This is a really nice racquet. I strung them both with Kirschbaum ProLine 2 18g with Gosen Micro crosses in 18g.

I bought a 4 stripe POG OS at a garage sale for $12.!! It is a 1/4 grip. I sleeved it up one size, installed a new leather grip and strung it with Topspin Cyber Flash 18g mains with Prince Synthetic Gut 17g crosses. Sweet

I am debating about buying a Dunlap MaxPly McEnroe (the new version) It's pretty cheap but I am tempted to buy the new Donnay instead.

Still liking the Donnay Bossass?
    Still liking it. Still in a deep love affair with my PC600s, but I highly recommend the Donnay. I also got an Mfil 300 used. Don't like it. So, the two obviously hit different.

MOTHFUCKING DAVIS CUP FINALS IN PORTLAND!!!!!!!!!! MOTHERFUCKING WOOT!!!!!

Mothfucking. Nobody?

I would love to go, but that's quite a commute.

Bossass, I would really like to go but I am on the wrong coast.

Check out my 3 garage sale finds

Attachment 31248

Left to right...

Head Composite Edge $1.00. regripped & restrung by me with Cyberflash mains and Gosen crosses. This is a full weighted racquet and plays amazingly well.

4 stripe POG $12.00 regripped and restrung by me

Davis Classic III $25.00 perfect as it is

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    MOTHFUCKING DAVIS CUP FINALS IN PORTLAND!!!!!!!!!! MOTHERFUCKING WOOT!!!!!

I went to the last one in Portland at the Coliseum. 1982? Big Mac played. Great stuff.

The continuing adventures of mrw, gear whore

Having restrung and regripped my $1. Head Edge Composite and found it to be one sweet racquet, I hit up another thrift store.

The latest find is a Head Graphite Edge in great condition. Price $14.

Another full weighted classic graphite racquet for the collection. This thing weighs 13.2 ozs. I am going to grip and string it as I did the Composite Edge.

Attachment 31352

Attachment 31353
    Last edited by mrw; 10-04-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Here is some Ivanovic stoke.......i love this girl........

P.S. - any Denver maggots that play tennis? - moving to town soon and want to hit the courts once in awhile........have slowed down since the end of my college career but i'm jonesin to play consistantly again

Shit, just found out there's a Sampras VS. Courior exhibition match Nov. 9th in Portland. I think I'll have to go to that for sure. It's also in Spokane shortly after I think.

Hey MRW, let me know if you want to get rid of that POG. Maybe we could do some ski gear trading.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    Hey MRW, let me know if you want to get rid of that POG. Maybe we could do some ski gear trading.

I am keeping it as of now but I will give you 1st shot if I decide to part with it.

I am looking to buy Head Graphite Edge racquets in 4 3/8 if you know of any available.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    P.S. - any Denver maggots that play tennis? - moving to town soon and want to hit the courts once in awhile........have slowed down since the end of my college career but i'm jonesin to play consistantly again
    I share your love of Ana I. and live in Denver and play a bit. I'm definitely game to play when you get out here.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch buchannon View Post
    I share your love of Ana I. and live in Denver and play a bit. I'm definitely game to play when you get out here.
    Sounds good - i will let you know when i'm out there. Where do you play? I'm going to be moving close to City Park and looks like there are courts there - but i'm sure there are some indoor places as well for the winter?