Talking New stash clearing time.

Well the leaves have all changed here, so it is stash cutting time. Mind you we don't chop down trees, just underbrush and low tree limbs. What do you guys do, and are you planning to trail maintenence yourself.
    Last edited by TJ.Brk; 10-05-2003 at 08:23 PM.

I've found that a small ax and a hand saw are some of the best friends to bring along on my hikes in around Vermont
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Ya I carry a small axe, bar saw, and high strength limb cutters. Fits in my pack and they don't notice them in my pack on the Gondo ride going up.

Thumbs up K is ready!

Already did my work for the season. A few weekends in the woods will do wonders for the new season.

B)

Re: K is ready!

Originally posted by Mtn Man
    Already did my work for the season. A few weekends in the woods will do wonders for the new season.

B)
    Hey Dr.NO posted up on my board that they blew snow at Kmart this weekend. Are they going to be open with the trucks this weekend?

Go

Originally posted by TJ.Brk
    Hey Dr.NO posted up on my board that they blew snow at Kmart this weekend. Are they going to be open with the trucks this weekend?
    They only blew a couple of inches to test the system. They do this every year a week or two before they get serious. But it shant be long, no it shant be long.

________
    essential vaaapp
    Last edited by hardrider; 01-24-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Re: Re: K is ready!

Originally posted by TJ.Brk
    I can't confirm anything yet. I think they're going to try to open top to bottom again which probably means a later opening. BUT....I'll be bringing my skis this weekend just in case I'll ski on 2"!

B)

Question busting branches?

So....having never been trail cutting on the hill. I am wondering how stealthy you have to be. I can think of some tree stashes at Bridger that have some nasty eye poking branches. The trees are spaced perfectly but these things are straight up dangerous when you are maching through.

If i were to go up and just bust off the dead branches, ya think they would mess with me/??

Depends - someplaces it's highly illegal.

I think some folks from Stowe paid some heavy fines a few years ago when they got caught. I'm not sure about Bridger, but if it's on National Forest in the US and it's a live tree - it's a big no no!

I've been cutting a my home hill but they encourage it since the hill was closed for a few years and had a bunch of over growth.

If you do - go as if you were doing something else (hiking, mt biking) and be quick and move cuttings to avoid any problems but be careful.
    Last edited by elevens; 10-05-2003 at 08:43 PM.

Just noticed you said Bridger - I think it would be frowned upon up there due to forest issues but see what the local feel is.

You do have to be rather stealthy about it. Since hunting season is in full swing here. You hike up in your camy's and nobody mess's with you. Also where we go is OB so we don't have to worry about mtn workers coming across us.

But there was one idiot that went up last year with a gas weedeater with the large metal blade. Got busted bigtime. Don't use anything with a motor or you will get busted. But be wise in how you prune. We only clear out the dead underbrush, fallen trees, And the lower limbs of trees that will die off. Clearing the dead stuff is really the best thing you can do for creating a stash or two. Quite often most guys use the dead trees and make a small hut out of them. We've done it ourselves.

Trying to clear trails at Baker is a joke. For any clearing to do any good, you have to actually cut down some sizeable trees (our huge average snowpack will do that), or climb up the big 'uns 10 or 12 feet, all depending on where you are, in order to be high enough to actually cut down the branches that get in the way when it snows. Not sure if the effort is quite worth it. Heh.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Never heard of such a project living in the west. However, I can relate. When I was in college in Bozeman we diverted a small creek that originally formed a pathetic little ice climb. The creation made the originally ice climb a bit thinner, but the route of the new flow over an overhaning cliff made a couple of beautiful steep pillars to swing tools on.

Some local pussies were pissed. But later their hypocrisy got the better of them and they were seen enjoying themselves on the new routes we developed.

We made a point of staying as anonymous as possible to avoid Johnny Forest service ranger.

I say, cut away. Have fun.

Shot of the diversion..... 'To better the experience of mankind.'

http://www.climberscache.net/H03/23_Farmed_Ice1_L.jpg
    Last edited by Trackhead; 10-06-2003 at 06:03 AM.

shredley carried a saw and surgically removed a few branches to open a lane through the thermometer trees skiers right of exit, did it early season while skiing... obviously huge debris piles would attract attention... leave the entrance thick with one wormhole to bust through to the white room, then show me yer new stash, Freak...