Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

New DPS molds: 198cm Lotus 120 & 202cm Lotus 138

There has been a lot of interest expressed in building longer Lotuses.

Production starts again in a couple of weeks, and we need to schedule and finish designing the new additions. DPS will be adding a 178 cm Wailer 105, and the 178 cm Cassiar- which should be a super nice ski for hard snow. Those are in the lineup.

The question is now regarding the 198 cm Lotus 120 & the 202 cm Lotus 138.

We want to see both of these shapes realized because they are perfectly suited to the carbon sandwich.

WIth the existing power to weight ratios, and shaping, they are going to be really easy to ski with all the speed and floatation benefits of length.

Both shapes, with their rockered tips and tails, and shorter running lengths, are conducive to more length. They will weigh less than conventional builds that are much narrower and shorter.

They should be immensely fun, and we want to ski them, but the question is if enough other folks want them too, and if they are sustainable shapes.

We will build one of the two this summer regardless, and both if there is enough commitment to both shapes.

So, the question in 2 parts:

a) if only one of the two, which would folks want more?
    b) if both, what is the overall commitment to each of these boards?

Btw, in the news, *192cm Lotus 138's in both flexes, Lotus 190's in a flex 3, and 188cm Wailer 105's are all in the house and ship immediately*

Thanks for the continued support and input. One of the best parts of this gig is the energy and commraderie around deep snow. Communities like this are a backbone and huge inspiration.
    Last edited by dps; 03-23-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Props to you guys doing that, really fucking cool. Too big for me, but I'm sure there are a number of guys that will be all over this.

Paging Professor...

In my very humble opinion, I would think that the lengths would go better the other way, with the 138 being upper 190s (since its more of a schmearer) and the 120 being lower 200s (since its more of a charger), but oh well.

I am definitly on board for a pair of the long 120s though, as soon as I get some money together.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

While I have no experience with your product or any rockered and reverse sidecut skis, if I were to purchase a ski like this, I would probably decide to go balls out and get the 202 Lotus 138.

STOKED!

If I can swing it, I'm on board for a pair of each. After around 50 days on my 138s, I would be stoked to have a bigger pair.

Not to mention, 120s have been on my wishlist, and the bigger size would be a no brainer as well.

I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

though i am poor and will almost defiantly not be getting either i would prefer to have a long 120
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

I love my 138s, but I sometimes wish they were a bit longer at speed in variable snow. I would definitely buy a longer 138. And if you build a longer 120, I would consider that too.
    Props to youse guys for thinking big. With rockered skis, why wouldn't you?

now I have to decide between a 202 lotus and a 195 praxis, shit. I vote for the 202 lotus, depending on money i'm in for a pair
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Awesome! After the firestorm of interest in a Praxis 195 this week, other ski makers are now suddenly scrambling to add big-man-sized reverse camber boards to their lineups.

Kudos to this board, and most importantly, kudos to Praxis and DP for listening to their customers.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

Thumbs up

Glad everyone seems to be listening to my thoughts.

Make the 202 138 125 in the waist. DO IT! You know you want to. Having that much length, 138 in the waist isn't needed.

and im in a very small minority, maybe all by myself, but I would sell off most of my quiver right now for a 186-188 lotus 120 with a 110mm waist and a flatter not so upturned tail. Mounted with dynafits, it would slay.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Glad everyone seems to be listening to my thoughts.

Make the 202 138 125 in the waist. DO IT! You know you want to. Having that much length, 138 in the waist isn't needed.
    Thank god they're not listening to your thoughts, because if they were they'd be announcing: "We're making the 202 138 125 in the waist!"

My pick of those choices would be the 202cm 138 over the 198cm 120.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

DPS should spancer Plake, he Luvs 200cm+ skeeze

Quote Originally Posted by IrieRon View Post
    Awesome! After the firestorm of interest in a Praxis 195 this week, other ski makers are now suddenly scrambling to add big-man-sized reverse camber boards to their lineups.
    I think DP has had these skis in the works for a while.

I'm fucking stoked though, just this morning I pm'd marshalolson about the longer 120s, I fucking want some.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

I wanna see a 198 138 with 1.5-2x the vertical rocker profile in the tip(and ~3cm longer flat spot underfoot), a flatter tail, at flex 2 in the tip, and flex 3 in the tail(probably unreasonable but hey, a guy can dream cant he?). That would be so money for me.
    Last edited by couloirman; 03-24-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Thank god they're not listening to your thoughts, because if they were they'd be announcing: "We're making the 202 138 125 in the waist!"

My pick of those choices would be the 202cm 138 over the 198cm 120.

Read post #149 and my following posts. Basically set in motion a longer board from Praxis. I may not have been the first one to think of it, but you can bet your ass these other manufacturers are taking note after seeing the interest for a longer Spatula type ski.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79521

People who have been listening know I (and a few others like Marsha) have been asking for a ski like this for a loooong time.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68046
    I don't usually try and take credit for things, so quit acting like an ass.

Just wait, we'll see a smaller waisted ski in these lengths.

I own a pair of 138's and I love them, but in a longer ski, narrower would be better for several reasons.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 03-24-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by eastvailhucker View Post
    DPS should spancer Plake, he Luvs 200cm+ skeeze
    Don't you still spancer him too?

id take the 120s over the 138s personally, doesnt stop the fact they both make me hard
    signature?

202 138's make a whole bunch of sense to this guy. Extra length and stability would be killer. I haven't thought for a second that the 192 is too big.

202 138 = more skis for me
    Last edited by teambigdave; 03-24-2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spellin

Read post #149 and my following posts. Basically set in motion a longer board from Praxis. I may not have been the first one to think of it, but you can bet your ass these other manufacturers are taking note after seeing the interest for a longer Spatula type ski.

People who have been listening know I (and a few others like Marsha) have been asking for a ski like this for a loooong time.

I own a pair of 138's and I love them, but in a longer ski, narrower would be better for several reasons.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...88#post1163388

Post #18 totally predates your post by like two weeks. You obviously stole my idea, and DP should obviously start paying me to design thier skis for them, since they, like, stole my idea and all.

198 120s for sure.

First ski in a long time that I'm out and out lustful for.

BTW- don't neglect to think about doing a 195 W120
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Sorry, not being an ass... I just know that they've been thinking about these molds a lot longer than you've been involved and a lot longer than Praxis has existed.

Thanks for trying, though.

The Bonin Petrels

Sorry, not being an ass... I just know that they've been thinking about these molds a lot longer than you've been involved and a lot longer than Praxis has existed.

Thanks for trying, though.
    You know, when someone puts everything they've got into designing a ski, especially small companies like DPS, PM Gear, Praxis....You can pretty much guarantee that they've thought of every possible shape/size/type for their ski. I'm sure the original spatula type ski was thought of way before you or I were around.
    It's not until a market DEVELOPES that that ski designer can make a ski that SELLS. I don't doubt DPS thought about going longer many moons ago, it's only until now that the market has BARELY been open to a 200cm+. Convincing enough people who are afraid of the 200cm mark is a task in itself.

You know, when someone puts everything they've got into designing a ski, especially small companies like DPS, PM Gear, Praxis....You can pretty much guarantee that they've thought of every possible shape/size/type for their ski. I'm sure the original spatula type ski was thought of way before you or I were around.
    It's not until a market DEVELOPES that that ski designer can make a ski that SELLS. I don't doubt DPS thought about going longer many moons ago, it's only until now that the market has BARELY been open to a 200cm+. Convincing enough people who are afraid of the 200cm mark is a task in itself.
    So you're taking credit for developing the market, then? Wow, you're an influential mofo.

The Bonin Petrels

So you're taking credit for developing the market, then? Wow, you're an influential mofo.
    God you're a cocksucker. Worked on any new grabs lately? Fuckin dork.