A new ankle complaint

On Feb 20, my wife & I were skiing a tree chute in Mirkwood Basin @ Monarch. The wind the previous night scoured the south slope and deposited a foot+ on the north side. I don't exactly know what happened, something grabbed my ski - a stump, rock, ???. I felt my boot torque in the binding, but I guess the way I was falling the binding could not release. My ankle ended up twisting bad inside the boot.

After the swelling went down I noticed that a tendon on the outside ankle would occassionally roll over the bone. This forced my ankle to collapse; creating immediate, but short lived pain. After a few weeks it kept doing this. I can't run, hike, ski, or anything other than walk a couple miles.

I went to an ortho surgeon. He told me I tore the sheath that attaches to the ankle bone that keeps the tendon in place. He told me it won't heal on it's own. He said he has to re-attached the sheath and will drill a slot in the bone for the tendon to sit in. As an added bonus, he will remove the pin from my bunion surgery that is poking into the bottom of my foot.

Anybody out there have this kind of repair to their ankle? He told me I'll be on crutches for 2 weeks, cast for 6 weeks.

Odin- one of these posts might help:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...archid=1526819
    (I searched peroneal tendon-didn't read all posts)
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    After the swelling went down I noticed that a tendon on the outside ankle would occassionally roll over the bone. This forced my ankle to collapse; creating immediate, but short lived pain. After a few weeks it kept doing this. I can't run, hike, ski, or anything other than walk a couple miles.

I went to an ortho surgeon. He told me I tore the sheath that attaches to the ankle bone that keeps the tendon in place. He told me it won't heal on it's own. He said he has to re-attached the sheath and will drill a slot in the bone for the tendon to sit in. As an added bonus, he will remove the pin from my bunion surgery that is poking into the bottom of my foot.

Anybody out there have this kind of repair to their ankle? He told me I'll be on crutches for 2 weeks, cast for 6 weeks.
    I HAD THIS EXACT SURGERY IN 1997! Mine was from supermanning off my mountain bike to rolling ankle to pop. I has the surgery, not too bad, did PT and kept at it hard, ankles are not so easy and was never in a cast, more a Donjoy style boot up to my knee or just short of it.

Get it fixed asap cause I did not at first, spent 5 months in PT to have it roll over multiple times again causing mass pain and I would collapse.

Doc basically chiseled a groove for the sheath to sit in on the back of the ankle bone and then re-attaches everything.

I got married 2 months after this surgery and had to wear an air cast under my shoe. So I wore my black high top, old school VANS in my wedding.

PM me if you want to talk more.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Buzz,
    Thanks. It's nice to know somebody went through the same thing. I'll PM if any questions come up. Fortunately, I'm married already so I won't be messing up any wedding pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Buzz,
    Thanks. It's nice to know somebody went through the same thing. I'll PM if any questions come up. Fortunately, I'm married already so I won't be messing up any wedding pics.
    You will be just fine. Lots of PT.

And the photog was good, no pics of the Vans at all. I wanted at least one.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy