Any feedback on aluminum truck toppers?

Still dragging my feet on covering the 6' bed of the '06 Tacoma. Latest idea is aluminum, for the lower cost and less weight [better mileage, less wear 'n tear, etc]. Looking at one that has opening side windows and a 'barn-door' double back door [w/tinted windows] that replaces the tailgate. I'm a little concerned about dumping the tailgate, in terms of resale [don't really have a place to store it]. Any feedback on aluminum toppers and/or replacing tailgates? Thanks-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I haven't had a tailgate in forever although somewhere I still have a vented towgate but god knows where. I have a raise up style rear door that I prefer to having a tailgate but that's just me.

Unless it is for some reason really well insulated an alu topper will be hotter in the summer and colder in winter. Plus, they're generally less areodynamic than a nice glass topper.

IMO the glass ones are approximately 5 times nicer per dollar spent than an aluminum one.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Aluminum: cheap and light. Cons are - easily dented, tons of condensation if you sleep in there, noisy if you sleep in there, and they look like shit.

I think if you want one for part time use, go for it. But if you are going to leave it up there, spring for the better looking and more durable glass one.

definitely be on the lookout for a used glass one. there's usually a bunch out there and you'll definitely save some cash. Another kind to consider is the extruded plastic. cheaper than glass, but better fitting and more aero than aluminum.

What are those beefy-looking metal ones that contractors use? (Usually have a welded-on roof rack, double doors in the back instead of a tailgate.) Steel or aluminum?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What are those beefy-looking metal ones that contractors use? (Usually have a welded-on roof rack, double doors in the back instead of a tailgate.) Steel or aluminum?
    Think those are aluminum, with a lot of extra framing on the inside, and sometimes thicker aluminum. That's kind of what i'm looking at, but with opening glass side windows. I had forgotten about the noice of rain on the aluminum, planned to insulate with some ensolite or similar foam. Haven't seen the extruded plastic, gonna look into it. Maybe it's rotomolder or sumpin. Thanks for the tips mags.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

for a nice newish truck, I don't know why you'd get aluminum. I doubt there'd be a noticeable difference in mileage compared to fiberglass.

as for dumping the tailgate, I can tell you it would affect the resale if you were selling to me, dunno about anyone else.

The aerodynamics make a lot more difference to mileage than the weight.

By the time you put enough insulation in a metal topper to make it not rain condensation inside the truck bed, the weight advantage will be a lot less.

Finally, aluminum toppers look like ass unless you are a contractor with a lumber rack on top. I got carpet-lined glass and have never regretted it.

No opinion on the barn doors, but some glass shell manufacturers make them too (A.R.E.?)

Aluminum is recyclable.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.