Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    I've skied the Factors and the Zzeus, both with my Intuitions in them. In my experience, the Factors are definitely stiffer in forward flex. No question. However, the Zzeus were much nicer to tour in....

I've put my intuitions in my factors and they are substantially stiffer than with the stock boa liner, especially out in the cold.

Thanks for the useful thread.... keeping it fresh
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

On this topic, the Crispi EVO NTN boot is being billed as an AT boot as well. Can anyone rate this one in relative flex or the Crispi Diablo which [might] be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I've skied the Factors and the Zzeus, both with my Intuitions in them. In my experience, the Factors are definitely stiffer in forward flex. No question. However, the Zzeus were much nicer to tour in....
    Now with about 25 days of fatcoors and 10 on zzeus I would say they are close to each other with intuition/palau liners,the factor maybe a bit stiffer. Not a noticable difference in skiing.
    Touring are the same for what I notice,factors walk mode with AT blocks feeled smoother though. But,the zzeus seem to flex a bit more backwards that seem to matter to many.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

STICKY please. It is waste of time having to search for this thing as often as I do.

Haven't skied them yet, but in a living-room comparison the Typhoon (with stiff tongue) has a substantially softer forward flex than my Atomic T11 alpine boots. With the touring tongue, the Typhoon is silly soft, but of course it's great in walk mode. Also, the liner and top of shell on the Typhoons is a few inches shorter than the T11's.

For the record I have zero AT experience, and have never tried on any other AT boots. I'm guessing most of them must be really soft if the Typhoon is on the stiffer end of the spectrum.

New junk bump!

Salomon

Any news on Salomon's proto touring-boots?

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    Indeed. Sticky. Silly to have to search for this (repeatedly)
    And I get to search for it still in March. Awesome.

Finally replacing old red Denali TTs that I have absolutely shredded to pieces over the years. Moving into the Dynafit game so went with the stiff tongue Skookum, mostly b/c I got a killer deal, but other end game choices were the Axon and the ZZeus. From trying out too many boots I think most of the relative flexes were very comparable and served as an excellent starting point. The only thing I would throw in is that the Methods felt noticeably softer to me than the Spirit 4 black tongue or the Zzero CF 4. Also, to add to the confusion with the strange red Zzero U 4 that I also came across in an REI discount section, from flexing it in the store (yes, I know it somehow gets stiffer, or not, in the cold, depending on translations from the Italian and the person reviewing) it was definitely softer than the Zzero CF 4, so maybe a Zzero PX 4 that gets slightly stiffer on the mountain? This has been an excellent resource, the only thing I might add is that if you wanted to round up the usual suspects of boot mods (intuitions, powerstraps, tongues) and the relative enhancement they provide and group it underneath the relative stock flexes provided. Awesome job.
    And, sticky.

X post from my other thread :

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Hmm. I have the 27.5 and haven't noticed that problem.

I am developing a theory here : Duo to the shorter bsl and lower cuff, the manufacturers keep the same proportions in the buckle placing. They just dont realize that that way the two buckles come way too close to each other.

I have now had the exactly same problem with my 25 sized Zzeus and factors AND 25.5 sized Megarides.
    The manufacturers dont even bother testing the boots.

Fuckfaces.

Here is the fruits of good design... Makes the flex really smooth and enhances the longevity of the boots...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

aha..... the megaride designer left garmont for dyna and then did zzero and zzeus, you know....

my 27 zzeus (used sometimes) and 27.5 megarides (used very intensively) have not this problem, but I understand a 25 and 25.5 might have for the reasons you nicley outlined....

Dynafit TLT 4 Evo TFs vs Scarpa Matrix

OK, so I'm just getting into touring, having done a few days already on rented (old school) gear and fallen in love with the sport. I'm coming from a mountaineering background, so want to get gear that will enable me to access and complete climbs (or simply climb on skis), but that can also be used for skiing on, near and off piste (practising technique, exploring the backcountry, etc). I realise from reading this thread that there's a whole range of gear at either end of the scale, with a few bits and pieces in between that usually require some kind of compromise on one or more aspects. I'm an intermediate (male) skier on piste and probably below intermediate off piste (at this stage -- still working on it!), around 187 cm and 84 kg. The huge range of gear available is a bit of a minefield for someone new to the sport, so I've been reading this and other threads and trying to glean some insights into bindings, boot flex, overall weight, etc. I gather Dynafit is probably the way to go for someone interested in climbing, but I've no idea if I'll be able to ski with their bindings (or how long it will take me to get used to them)

At this stage I'm looking at getting some 170 cm ST 3.0 Dynafit skis, Dynafit Speed bindings and either Dynafit TLT 4 Evo TFs (which look pretty flimsy but are light) or Scarpa Matrix boots (which look pretty wicked and aren't much heavier). I thought the latter might be better for long cold tours and ice and rock climbing, but the formers are around 500 g lighter for the pair. Question is, could I ski in them? Anyway, I guess I'm fishing for advice on everything from the best type of ski, binding and boot for my purposes without coming up with a list that will break the bank. Nice thing about the boots and skis I listed above is that I've found them at good prices... seems the bindings don't get discounted much, but man they look lightweight and brilliant for climbs. Any advice would be much appreciated...

^^^I don't intend to be condescending, but as a below intermediate it would probably serve you well to work on your skiing a bit. The BC is a very difficult place to learn to ski. IMHO the lightweight gear your talking about works well for very skilled technical skiers who understand its limitations, but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.

Since this is a boot thread, I'd say look at the Scarpa Spirit series and the dynafit Zzero series of boots.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Hey Chowda,

Thanks for your reply - not at all condescending. I'm under no illusions about my skiing abilities or the dangers of backcountry (I've been a mountaineer for long enough to know about the latter!), and may have been a little harsh on myself in the OP. I'd ski pretty much anything at a ski resort, although perhaps not always with the best style, but having only done a handful of days off piste so far I know that my technique needs to be refined considerably for the variety of terrain that exists away from the groomed slopes. Anyway, I plan to work on that close to the ski areas this coming season (I'm in the Southern hemisphere) and hopefully take it to the next level.

Thanks also for the advice on boots... I really like the look of both those boots, but the price is putting me off at this stage. It may well be that I upgrade to one of those after a season or two of hard yards in entry-level gear. However, what that might be, I just don't know.

Perhaps I should post a question about skis and bindings on another thread, but I guess the same people look at all the threads, so I'll see what kind of response I get here first. The dynafit system looks great for climbing-oriented touring, but perhaps my skiing technique isn't good enough yet; perhaps I should do my "apprenticeship" in Frtischis or Naxos or Silvrettas (anyone got feedback on the EasyGo 555s?). The Matrix would go in those bindings, but I think the Evos are Dynafit only - right? As for skis - short(ish), fat and light for touring - right? Thanks again...

Chowda is right on the boots. Spend money on boots. Look at the boost that are 75+ on the flex index. The Matrix may do in a pinch, the Dynafits are right out.

You want dynafits. They ski better and are lighter. For god's sake don't get silverettas.

For the skis I suggest saving money here and getting either something short, soft and fairly fat (95-105 undefoot or something short soft and skinny (80-95). It depends on what percentage of the time you expect to be in powder.

Now go read any of the 10,000 what touring rig should I buy threads.
    Last edited by jrosendahl; 04-06-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    It was all a whirlwind; freeze and flash.
    Within a week we had grabbed our skis and hit the road.

(nothing... a little powder, a little blood.)

I had a climber roomie whom I talked about skiing to and he replied he only did the skiing to approach the ice climbs which were what he was really interested in and buddy was on old and skinny gear

good boots are always smart ,the rest might depend where you want to ski ,how far you want to go and fat vs not so fat depending on how much you care about the down ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-06-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Dynafit Titan Alpine touring ski boots

Review here http://www.wildsnow.com/1810/dynafit...i-boot-review/

I would rate the Titan the same as the Factor which is to say a 100 on Tony's metric

bump!!!

someone REALLY needs to sticky this
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by faraclasAdaptive View Post
    On this topic, the Crispi EVO NTN boot is being billed as an AT boot as well. Can anyone rate this one in relative flex or the Crispi Diablo which [might] be similar?
    i own the evo boots (use them in NTN bindings, mostly resort since i have plenty of BC rigs) but have only tried the Factors on in a shop. FWIW, i would rate the lateral rigidity similar but the overall fwd flex of the Factor, at least at room temperature, felt slightly stiffer than the Evo.

the evo uses a pebax lower / polyurethane upper cuff, from what i've read.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.

I've skied the Denali TT and the X-Wave 10. So those are my two direct comparisons.

I've tried on the Adrenalin, Endorphin, Zzeus, Factor, and now own the Titan and Impact 10.

Order of stiffness - softest to stiffest.

Denali TT
    Adrenalin
    Endorphin
    Zzeus
    Factor
    Titan
    Impact 10 and X-Wave 10

the Adrenalin and Endorphin flexed oddly for me. It felt like a bar was placed across my shins and hurt just flexing them in the shop.

The Zzeus and the Titan are a little narrow over the widest part of the foot, but a little bit of work and they'd be fine.

The Factor had a similar fit to the Salomon provided the Salomon was 1/2 size smaller.

Comparison picks below. First 6 pics compare the Titan (white) to my old X-Wave 10s and my new Impact 10s
    Titan in Size 29
    X-Wave 10 in Size 28.5
    Impact 10 in Size 28.5

Second set of 4 pics compare Zzeus to old X-Wave 10s.
    Zzeus Size 29
    X-Wave 10 size 28.5

Steve Romeo on the new Dynafit Titan

http://www.tetonat.com/2009/09/dynaf...t-boot-review/

Titan could be nice.. Could ski as well as the Factor but tour much better.... Anyone tested or at least tried on the Dalbello Virus?? It seems like there is still almost no info out there on them (except the near worthless Backcountry review).