Thread: Thumb Breaky

Thumb Breaky

Acute closed dislocation of right thumb interphalangeal joint

Acute closed fracture at base of right thumb proximal phalanx

Avulsion of right thumb ulnar collateral ligament
    Attachment 70741
    Happened at Stevens Pass on my third day of the season. I tried to set the thumb on the hill but it hurt too bad. Ski patrol fabbed up a splint, I popped a couple percocets and went to the E.R.

I had surgery two days later. I opted for a bier bond, which is basically a means of draining all the blood out of the arm. This allowed for a local and for me to stay awake during the surgery. When I felt the initial incision, I looked at the anesthesiologist and said "I can feel that", she promptly increased the dosage.

In the picture you can just see two of the three pins that were installed. Those will be removed in January then the P.T. can begin. Hopefully that goes well and I can salvage the rest of the season.

Did this to my left thumb in fifth grade. Lost a ton of feeling in the tip as the nerves were damaged when they got sucked between the bones during the dislocation.
    Make sure to do the PT all the time. Gaining hand strength back and ROM after surgery is a pain in the ass.

(wait till you have to do the rice bowl)

Rice bowl?

On my first visit to P.T. I did get to put my hand in what seemed like a sandblaster for the hand. It used a warm swirling media to massage the hand. Quite soothing.

two more pics just before the 3 pins were removed...first one hurt like hell
    Attachment 71312

Attachment 71313

I had the ligament reattached way back in 1984(?). I had gone a year with it unattached and the Dr. had to graft from my wrist. My injury was not as bad as yours and my thumb has worked well for the last 26 years. Just be very aware of how you put your hand down and you should be good.