Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Compilation Review Thread: 06/07 DP Lotus 138

So because I am not only a raging egomaniac, but also maddeningly anal, I thought I would pull together a Master Review Thread for the 06/07 DPS Lotus 138 [/reverb].

First, much has already been written about these in Mikey’s thread. He even has photos comparing rocker and shape of the 06/07 and 05/06 vintage.

Quite a bit was written about the O.G. 05/06 models as well. I think it is probably fair to say that the 06/07 versions exhibit all the positives laid out in these older reviews, but there were a few improvements in increased rocker, more durable topsheet, and perhaps even a couple construction improvements. The hall of fame reviews of the 05/06 model include:

Marshal talks 138 in his 120 thread.

This review by Tyrone Damn Shoelaces probably inspired me to pull the trigger.

Vicious’ thread has good info and perspective too.

Finally, I have 4 days now on mine, and can add a few observations.

06/07 DPS Lotus 138, flex 2, mounted –1

Bindings: Some old 14 DIN Sollys from Conundrum, mounted professionally by one Marshal Olson

Me: 6’2, 190ish, gargantuan buttocks

More about me: I generally like stiff, overbuilt skis. I don’t like noodly skis, foam core skis, or noodly foam core skis. I have never skied Spats or any other reverse sidecut or rockered ski. I have skied lots of stupid heavy wood core skis (Iggies, Tankers, Axioms, Volkls) and loved them all. I ski primarily in CO these days, but skied Mammoth long enough to prefer wide-open spaces. I despise bumps. Tight trees scare me because my skis are too damn heavy and long. I don’t jump off anything bigger than 15 or so feet because I’m old and beat up.

Here they be (Iggy FCs (125/93/xxx) for scale):

General Thoughts

I can’t add much to what has already been said. But I’ll try. These things are startlingly light. I’m still shocked every time I pick them up. They are also dead sexy, and attract a lot of attention. Stephan needs to send buyers a crate of glossy propaganda which can be handed out in lift lines. Ready access to a brochure may save the next jackass who says, “Whoa those are fat. Are they water skis? Haw haw haw.” They are also more versatile than expected.

Versatility

I’ve skied these on two pow days (15” and 14”). Predictably, they fucking pillage soft snow. The mount point @ -1 felt dead on. No speed limit at all. I’m used to Iggies at speed, and these are comparable. All the propaganda is true – you can indeed make any turn shape, at any time, and feel completely in control. Hurtling into tight trees? Not a problem, you can smear and pivot at will, such is their maneuverability and feathery swing weight. The rocker leaves you with a limited contact patch underfoot, which makes swiveling just so easy. And, as the snow got chopped up on these days, my skiing didn’t change too much.

I’ve also skied two windbuffy days (4” or so each day), with some harder crap underneath. These skis killed it again. Yesterday, I put my Iggy FCs away after two runs, and pulled out the DPs. No more grabbing and edge catching. Smoove. But, I did feel a little back in these soft but more variable conditions. A mount on the line might have worked better.

Finally, the survivability of groomers has been mentioned. I really think groomers are pretty fun on these. Now, hard ice is no fun, but groomers are actually carveable. Which forces me to say these are much more versatile than I expected. I was thinking pow, windbuff, chunder ski when I bought these. But having really enjoyed two days with marginal snow in depth and quality, I think I’ll be pulling these out more often than originally planned. I know Yoss said in his 120 review thread that there will be plenty of days he prefers his Gots to the 120s. I don’t have Gots, so this comparison doesn’t work for me. But I skied yesterday with a buddy on Gots, and the only real advantage he had all day was on intermittent wind-scoured ice – he had less waist and more sidecut to fall back on.

Durability

For some reason, I’m good at breaking stuff. This has always been true. I’ve hit a few rocks over four days, have wheelied over bands of trees and shrubs, and generally treated them like any other pair of skis. They’ve held up quite well. A few base scars from big impacts, but all the incidental contact didn’t dent the base material or ding edges at all.

The edges of the topsheet are peeling in a few places. Not sure if I need to file/bevel these as recommended for the older vintage.

I do have a few shovel topsheet chips. Not sure how that happened, which is the general story of my life.

Also have some weird longitudinal shadows forming under the topsheet. Not sure what they are or what they’re from.

Bottom Line

You need to buy these skis. Seriously. They have added a new dimension to my skiing. The combination of versatility and sheer capability just makes them the funnest skis, allowing the funnest skiing I’ve ever enjoyed. No regrets whatsoever.
    bodies be all up on my behind

stoked yer stoked

edit: reserving this spot for my 138 review in a few more days of usage.

and i think vicious is planning to post an 06 vs 07 review at some point as well...
    Last edited by marshalolson; 02-20-2007 at 10:01 PM.

I just feel like adding, I have heard many people who have seen these say they dont think that they can handle these skis with how long they are. I am 5'7 160 and these skis are so easy to turn. They ski much shorter than they sound, but do not lack stability in any way. Dont be afraid that they are 192 cm long, anyone can handle this ski. Go buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    I just feel like adding, I have heard many people who have seen these say they dont think that they can handle these skis with how long they are. I am 5'7 160 and these skis are so easy to turn. They ski much shorter than they sound, but do not lack stability in any way. Dont be afraid that they are 192 cm long, anyone can handle this ski. Go buy some.
    Forgot to mention that. They ski at 192 for stability, but way shorter for maneuverability.

These ski at least as fast as my old 200cm Iggies in open terrain, but overall ski much faster than any ski I've been on, because you can carry more speed knowing you can turn at any time. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    stoked yer stoked

edit: reserving this spot for my 138 review in a few more days of usage.

and i think vicious is planning to post an 06 vs 07 review at some point as well...
    Yup, I've got plenty of days on them to do so and I got plenty of days on my Gen 1's to provide a decent comparison as well.

I'll add the info here in the next couple days when I get a chance.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

this thread sucks all the joy out of having multiple lotus (loti) threads. next thing you know we'll have only one Praxis thread.

why do you hate america?

but seriously, any 06 to 07 comparison comments would be awesome and stuff.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    this thread sucks all the joy out of having multiple lotus (loti) threads. next thing you know we'll have only one Praxis thread.
    I compile threads compulsively, and without joy.

As soon as i get back to SLC and get the 916's i left in my truck I too shall post a review here.

I will not deviate from the review thread

p.s.- who in SLC can mount these?

as just written in another similar thread.....
    I finally was able to use them yesterday.....
    best powder ski ever, I was veeeery impressed. I am still elaborating my impression in comparison to the one I had with pontoons, but so far they are much better. When compared to pontoons, lotus suggest a much more central position (certaninly because of the smaller shovel and the larger centre), blast much better through crud, and their metallic sound is very sexy.

Just a quick 2 cents.

I had my 06/07 138's out for the first time this weekend. Flex 3, mounted at -1. my old 05/06 138's were mounted on the mid-sole line and I was felt they should be moved back for even more stability at speed, so now that I have these new puppies at -1, they are perrrrrrrfect for my style. Ripping pow at mach looney is even more brainless than it was before. just point, go, laugh your ass off at how easy it is to do anything you want.

hugh jass -- After just 2 days on mine, I'm also noticing the the top sheet chips at the tips just like in your photo above. I think the chippin on my tips might even be worse than your photo. Weird since I thought the top sheet issue was one of the reasons for the warranty...Regardless though, i didn't really care last time it happened, and don't care now either, but it's there. I think it might have something to do with the speed you can reach on these skis...the topsheet just can't hold on!

Tried the 06/07 flex 2 for a couple hours at Vail on Saturday. Not sure where they are mounted (paging Marshal). 4" new on top of some nasty crust. The first couple runs were a little sketch, but I think that was just due to the learning curve and bullet-proof crust underneath. 3rd run I had a full blown erection all the way down China. I couldn't believe the versatility. Huge schmears into quick turns with EASE.

On my way down the front side there was a mix of cut up pow and hardpack, which they handled quite well, you just have to adjust your technique a bit. At lower speeds they just need a little snow, maybe 1-2", to initiate a turn. I let em run a little on the hardpack/packed pow groomers and HOLY SHIT! They are stable as hell at speed; I had no problems making big (albeit shallower) GS/super G turns. Maybe the funnest (for lack of a better word) ski I've ever been on. End result = ordering some this week
    Last edited by Fritz; 10-12-2007 at 08:56 AM.

^^^NICE!

Overall stability at speed in confidence inspiring, but stability at speed on hardpack is downright shocking. The rockered shovels flap at speed, but that doesn't seem to impact performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My only problem with these is that the topsheet started to pull up at the tips after only 2-3 runs. WTF? I mean I skied em pretty hard, but nothing ridiculous, no big hucks, bumps rocks, etc.
    no worries on this dude, i specifically asked stephen for some blems, and just slapped some epoxy in there, but didn't do the world's best repair.

they are mounted at -1cm.

stoked you like them...
    Last edited by marshalolson; 02-26-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Awww, you already put the DP sticker on your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    no worries on this dude, i specifically asked stephen for some blems, and just slapped some epoxy in there, but didn't do the world's best repair.
    Glad to hear. These things fucking rule it.
    Last edited by Fritz; 02-26-2007 at 04:11 PM.

T minus 6 days until my beautiful 138's break free from the state of Missouri, heading North
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

So besides the minor topsheet shovel chips people have been taking, anyone else blown out part of their bamboo sidewall yet? I took these skis out for their second day of riding at Vail yesterday, and on a VERY small huck, I somehow managed to hip check quite hard, and when I got up, I saw this chip on my topsheet/breach of the bamboo. Dont know how it happened, I didnt think I crossed my skis or anything, maybe hit a buried rock?

I swear I tried to take a better photo, but I think you can get the idea here. What consequences will this sidewall break have on the ski? Is this the same type of problem that some who sent back their 05-06 skis got warrantied for? Or am I just being a fancy pants about my new skis and should shut up?
    Last edited by couloirman; 02-27-2007 at 01:55 PM.

was that your inside edge?

looks like it might have been edge contact with the little topsheet shaving curly cue deal.

either way, sorry to see that happen on a new pair of skis
    (espc when those skis cost 900$)

yeah, it was the inside edge, I just dont remember crossing my tips like would be required to do that. Oh well.

that's strange and obviously not desireable. bamboo is stronger than any ABS/UHMW sidewall- in fact much stronger. so it's not the material, but could be something in the laminate interface or core/sidewall assembly that happened during build. there appears to be no edge/base damage so it certainly wasn't coming from the bottom up....Hard to tell from the photograph.

If you have a few days off coming up, we would love to have those sent in to check out and repair or replace. Will PM with follow up info.

sent the photo over to resident DPS engineering maestro, and got this back:

"Definite impact damage from the photo. No obvious manufacturing defect.
    Advise him to fill with epoxy."

However, would still like to check it out and see more photos if you can get them...

Impact from the top down?

skied my 120s hard for the last 2 days here in jackson.... no chips, no delams, and only about 1/2" of the very (very!) slightest peel to the edge of the topsheet.

i know it's not much data, but i wanted to give that preliminary positive information (until i have time to do a proper review). in other words, it's not all bad about the topsheets.

i am sorry, couloirman, to see that damage, particularly to a new ski (and particularly when you shell out alot of clams for said ski).

I always felt my spats would ski better as a 192....any thoughts or comparisons?

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

Completely forgot, thanks to Marshal for letting me demo these. Trigger = pulled.