Heavy binding on an ultra light ski !?
    Seems daft...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    p.s Marker Duke would be a bad idea.

Seems daft...
    But together the package is hardly heavy, and the downhill is fun

weight - probably taking it to seriously

Hey, I ski Dukes and love 'em. They are certainly slightly heavier than other bindings that let your heel lift. But, let's face it, most of the dead weight is hanging around the middle of the skier in his love handles and belly, not in the ski bindings. When pondering the weight of the Dukes, my kid just said: "Dad, just loose five pounds by lifting weights and call it even."

Good advice.

The Coombas do seem really soft up front when I hand flex 'em. I haven't skied them. But, I think a bit stiffer would be nice.
    Life's simple: Ski or Die

will the soft tip cut thru crud?

i thought these skis would be all over alta/bird, but they are not. why?

I know it´s been asked earlier in this thread, but I didn´t find an answer.
    Any thoughts om mounting position? Have you tried other positions than the line?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by christoffer bb View Post
    I know it´s been asked earlier in this thread, but I didn´t find an answer.
    Any thoughts om mounting position? Have you tried other positions than the line?

Thanks.
    Bump.

I'm wondering the same thing.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

will they cut crud?

I demoed the 09's and they killed crud. But I preferred my first gen goat in the new snow. I even switched back after 3 runs. I only skied the 181, and thought it was too short. But it was still longer than the running surface on my 183 goat and much more comfortable in choppy snow. (but my goat has a fritsche.)

the local shop ran a big demo and they laughed when I came back so soon and grabbed my goats.

Got my 181s with Dynafits mounted on the line, feels good to me. Haven't tried any other positions...

One day they'll go on sale for real. One day....

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    p.s Marker Duke would be a bad idea.

Seems daft...
    Yup...after about a week on them, decided the duke was daft on this ski and swapped out for FR's. I could have gone Dynafit like on my Rapid Transit's, but I want at least a little beef to go with my deep ski.
    Montani Semper Liberi

how is the rapid transit? does it keep an holding on ice?

How to the coomba's compare to the Mt. Baker and Shuskans w/r/t weight and stiffness. It seems that they are essentially built for the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    You sir, are a monster, I am 175lbs 6ft3 and found the 191 mantra in both it's incarnations easy to overski. I'm sure you'll manage.
    I am 5'10 and 260lbs. Would you recomend the mantra for me? or the Gotama. I am heavy and charge hard....I ski powder, but am thinking of a gs ski for the east, where i live.

i am trying to pin down the best powder skiing, for whistler, and other backcountry stuff, as well as frontside pow/crud

oh, and what binding?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino 300 View Post
    I am 5'10 and 260lbs. Would you recomend the mantra for me? or the Gotama. I am heavy and charge hard....I ski powder, but am thinking of a gs ski for the east, where i live.

i am trying to pin down the best powder skiing, for whistler, and other backcountry stuff, as well as frontside pow/crud
    Friend of mine is the same height and weight. Good skier too.
    He has the 184 Mantra and almost never uses his GS boards anymore unless he's running gates. Very versatile EC ski if you want a one trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    how is the rapid transit? does it keep an holding on ice?
    I love the Rapid Transits. I leave the Coomba's home on most days unless I know I've got 8 or so inches of pow everywhere I'm going, otherwise they just make the going on the hard stuff not fun....too chattery. Obviously the float on the RT's does not compare, but they ski ice and hardpack like a ski with a much narrower waist and they've got some pop to them out of the turn. I've read that this is due to the asymetrical design of the ski....I'll buy that given my experience with them IMHO. They've also got a decent sidecut to them where the Coomba does not. Not baggin on the Coomba...I actully cried out in joy "Thank you Mr. Coombs" when taking my 1st turn on them...but they are only for the great days. The rest of the days are for the RT's.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 03-13-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

fun fun fun

got the coombas with tyrolias mounted on the line. they can be moved +/_ 3cm but seem fine where they are. skied waist deep fresh yesterday and cant stop laughing....great fun. will replace the b4 for deep snow.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

I should also add that I had to mount my Freerides +2 after removing the dukes. The Coomba now responds a little better on the hardpack when setting an edge and the powder skiing is not really affected.
    Montani Semper Liberi