Heel Bone Pain - Maybe a Calcium Deposit?

I have developed some pretty serioues pain in my right heel bone, and I am 99% sure it is from my boots. It feel like there is something, maybe fluid between my skin and the bone and it hurts like a beatch when I put my shoes on to go to work. I have to walk around with my shoe untied and walk kind of funny like a came from federal pound me in the ass prison.

I would prefer to not walk like the gimp and am also worried about it mucking up my ski day tomorrow. My roommmate said he had similar problem when he played hockey. He was told they were calcium deposits? This just feels like fluid to me. Should I take a needle to it?

More likely is that you have plantar fascitis and the bump you feel is swelling. It could however be the begining of a heel spur. A heel spur would take several weeks or months to develop. So if you have only had this for a short period of time it is more likely plantar fascitis.

Try doing a lot of stretching for the calf and achillies and icing the heel after work and skiing.

If it won't go away go to your doc. He might do an x-ray to rule out heel spur and send you to therapy.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Hmm, thanks for the info. I did a google search, however reliable that is, and it said that plantar fascitis causes pain on the sole of your foot near the heel. My paid is exclusively on the back of my foot and not the bottom. It also only bothers me when pressed against (through walking with shoes on, etc). I will try icing it tonight before heading out tomorrow

bone spurs on the back of the heel can begin to appear pretty quickly, not sure if its truly a bone spur at this early stages or not but one thing you should do is take your boots in to a good bootfitter asap. If you dont have good insoles you need them (to stabilize the foot), and then you can have the shell of the boot ground out where it is hitting the heel. This will help this problem from getting worse. I would not take a needle to it. See a doc.

i'm having the exact same problem... ruining my ski season. its about time to get the heelcups ground out. just curious what boot your in?

WhiteRoom Skis

I was skiing on Tecnica Race R's and they felt pretty good. I do think that the heel packet was too big for me though and may have resulted in excessive heel movement. Maybe that did it?

I am skiing on new Nordica Hot Rod tomorrow so hopefully I won't be too bothered buy it. It really only bothers me in dress shoes, but when it bothers me it is BAD!

Speaking of heel spurs, I'm pretty sure I have to get mine removed, but I can't afford the down-time, and I hear that its not 100% effective. Any suggestions?

I've tried having my boots punched, ground, and I use moleskin and tape.. nothing works.

Yes, I know theyre hideous. They make me sick too.

Those are called pump-bumps. I graduated from medical school in 1981. And have been in orthopaedics since 1982 (counting residency) Those are the biggest I have ever seen. I can't imagine how you have lived with them for so long.

What are my options? I'm a competetive ski racer, I spent 200+ days a year on snow and I don't have more than 2 weeks off at a time. I've learned to just deal with them, and other than aestheticly they don't REALLY bother me, just minor pain and discomfort. I was told removal takes months to heal and is 50% effective.

I agree with Dr. Mark, those are THE biggest pump bumps I have ever seen. I would suggest going to a podiatrist. Maybe there is something they can do. But once they are that big surgery is prolly you best option.

WhiteRoom Skis

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Speaking of heel spurs, I'm pretty sure I have to get mine removed, but I can't afford the down-time, and I hear that its not 100% effective. Any suggestions?

I've tried having my boots punched, ground, and I use moleskin and tape.. nothing works.

Yes, I know theyre hideous. They make me sick too.

Holy Shit! I feel much better about mine now!

Well, I'm glad that something good came out of this... Other than me just straight up hijacking your thread.

You can know rest in peace knowing that some girl out there has worse feet that make small children cry at night.

I can't wear heels, or sandals.. going to the beach is always an interesting experience. People just stare and ask "what are those tumors on your feet?" "Do you have cancer?"

I really like the smiley face on lefty.

As an FYI a pump bump is really a retrocalcaneal bursitis. The can calcify and become permenant. If caught early they can be treated with stuff like ultrasound and reduction in friction via a donut pad etc....

WhiteRoom Skis