Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Congratulations Mr Davenport!

Yer a badass!

did he get engaged? is he pregnant? need more info!!!1one

Indeed. That route down Capitol still gives me the shivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

All the CO 14'ers?!
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Pssssht. I knew I could do that all along, so I didn't even try.

What an incredible year it must have been for him. I can't wait to see read his book about it, and see the documentary that he's been shooting.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Thumbs up

From Lou's site... Couldnt agree more.

Davenport Successful on Longs Peak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s 9:30 PM, Chris Davenport just called with the news. He, along with incredibly strong and experienced ski alpinists Neal Beidleman and Nick Devore, made a successful descent of Longs Peak today. This is Davenport’s 54th fourteener in his ski-the-teeners project, and the crown on an incredible odyssey that bagged him ski descents of all 54 peaks in one 12 month period.

MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS from myself and the Dawsons to Chris for an outstanding and inspiring job!

A reporter asked me the other day what it feels like to ski from the summit of one’s last fourteener during a project like this. I told him that the most powerful thing for me back in 1991 on Kit Carson (which was the last one I skied during my own fourteeners project) was the feeling of fitting into a continuum of ski alpinists — actually feeling the presence of former fourteener skiers such as Fritz Stammberger, the Fitz brothers and Bob Pfeiffer up there with me. But more, feeling the presence of those who would come later, and ski the 54 with ever more poise and skill, down bigger and better lines — yet still receive the same gifts of joy, spiritual awe and actualization that past seekers had received. It’s a beautiful thing, the progression of a sport. A wonderful part of humanity, the pushing of limits, the growth, the testing and winning through adversity. Inspiring others — yes, inspiring generations before such as myself. Chris Davenport is that next wave, and I salute him.

Chris mentioned that he’d get a trip report up ASAP at his website. Meanwhile, he did say they found a skiable route on the southerly side of the mountain, and of course had an epic in the dark getting out of the remote valley on that side of Longs. The peak didn’t give up her charms easily during the groups 12 hour day. But then, if it was easy…

Again, this is just an incredibly awesome and inspiring moment in the history of Colorado fourteeners. I hope it breaks open the floodgates for many others to attempt skiing the 54. More, the astonishing lines Davenport sought out and skied should give any ski alpinist a different view of just what an incredible gift the Colorado fourteeners are to ski alpinists. There might be no other group of mountains in the world that combines so many skiable lines with such good access and weather. Granted, not every year has perfect snow, but we have enough good years for me to honestly say the kind of skiing Chris has been doing is repeatable, safe if done with care, and as good as any place in the world.

Thanks Chris, thanks for your inspiration, your sharing, your optimism and your skill. You did Colorado, and ski alpinists everywhere proud!

And from The Aspen Times:

Chris Davenport has a ‘perfect day’

Skier completes his fourteener quest

By Jon Maletz
    January 20, 2007

Aspen, CO Colorado

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK — Chris Davenport has finally reached the top.

Friday, some 362 days after his mission to climb and ski all 54 of the state's fourteeners began with a descent of Mount Lincoln's Putnam Gulch, Davenport triumphantly stood on top of Longs Peak.

Fittingly, Davenport, alongside Aspenites Neal Beidleman and Nick Devore, descended a line named Home Stretch and into history. Davenport becomes just the second man to accomplish the feat, joining Carbondale's Lou Dawson, and the first to complete it in one year.

"Man, you couldn't have scripted it any better for drama," Davenport said Friday night. "I got it. I'm done. It was as perfect a day as I've ever had on a fourteener."

Wind gusts in excess of 70 mph coupled with temperatures that dipped to 20 below zero Wednesday forced Davenport and others to turn back 1,655 feet from the summit.

Friday, Mother Nature obliged.

"There was a higher power at work. The mountain gods and Longs Peak opened their arms to us today," Davenport said. "It was very special."

Davenport left Aspen on Thursday afternoon and met Devore, who had driven nine hours from Salt Lake City to Boulder; he arrived at 12:30 a.m. Friday. The group began skinning up Longs at 6:30 a.m. under clear skies. By 1 p.m., they were basking under clear skies and 30-degree temperatures on the summit.

The weight of the moment did not hit Davenport, however, until he completed the descent.

"There were mixed emotions on the summit," he said. "I knew being there was half the battle. I wanted to be reserved and humble. It wasn't until I skied out the bottom that all of sudden I felt a flood of emotion and excitement."

Dawson remembers the feeling. He began his assault on Colorado's highest peaks in 1978 on Castle Peak and completed it in 1991 following a 16-mile, 16-hour ascent and descent of Kit Carson Peak.

"There was elation and joy. I remember standing on top of Kit Carson and taking some time to feel the emotions of what its like to finish such a big goal," Dawson said Wednesday. "There were equal measures of elation and relief. It was similar to any big life-defining, powerful experience."

After calling his wife and family, Davenport called Dawson to share the good news late Friday evening.

"He said he had been waiting by the phone," Davenport said. "He was one of the first people I wanted to call after my wife to thank and vent some of that emotion. It was incredible. He's been an incredible mentor and inspiration for me.

"I only hope I can have the same effect on people like he has had on people like me."

Close to 1,000 people registered on the project's website, www.skithe14ers.com, to receive trip reports and updates. Countless more logged on to track Davenport's progress. Among them was Dawson, who said he "tracked what Chris was doing like a fanatic football fan."

Davenport planned on stopping Friday at Copper Mountain to accept the Skiing Magazine Slayin' It award for ski mountaineer of the year. The awards are running in conjunction with this week's U.S. Freeskiing Open. When he does make it back to the valley, Davenport said he's looking forward to posting his Longs Peak trip report online.

"I have to thank all those people that came before, from Dawson to Jason Ivanic to a lot of skiers out there," Davenport said. "They are all incredible ,and they all motivated me.

"While this was a personal goal, and it's extremely rewarding and fulfilling and spiritual, this is all about sharing with friends."

Aspen's Ted Mahon was with Davenport during Wednesday's failed attempt on Longs. He waited anxiously for word of the group's progress Friday. He received a text message from Beidleman shortly before 2 p.m.

"It would've been a fun moment to be a part of," Mahon said. "It was kind of cool to be part of the team, even if I only had a day here or there with Chris. He raised the bar for everyone. He somehow managed to keep pulling it off."

It was far from easy. A lack of snow delayed the project for three weeks at the beginning of 2006, a trend that persisted for much of the winter and spring in certain areas of the state. Near misses abounded. All told, Davenport logged nearly 33,000 miles crisscrossing the state in his truck.

Friday's success was well worth the tribulations. And while he admitted he was exhausted, Davenport said the project has given him a renewed appreciation and ardor for the mountains.

"The funny thing is, after skiing 54 peaks in a year and dedicating my life to it, I'm more inspired and passionate about the mountains than I ever was before," he said. "I don't think it will completely sink in until I wake up tomorrow."

For now, Dawson, who joined Davenport on Ellingwood Point on May 1, hopes those people that who their concerns about the pro skier's motives are silenced.

"Chris made it clear he had some goals, and by the same token he wasn't out there chest-beating or saying he was the only guy to have done this or the other," Dawson said. "He managed to nail all those peaks in fantastically grand style, and his willingness to share has been wonderful.

"I have a huge amount of respect for Chris and anyone who gets out there."

sweetness
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    FKNA

wtg chris
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

sickness.

Huge congrats, Dav. I'll admit that when he first started on it, I didn't think it could be done. Takes a superhero to pull it off.
    or don't

Does he lurk here?

Excellent work.

FNKA way get get 'er done.

You could tell the article was written for the Aspen times. Can you imagine the NY or LA times using words like "skinning and fourteeners". let alone not defining who Davenport and Dawson are. Aspen people and Maggots, just know.

I'll be really interested to see where there was snow. I was peeking at Longs the other day and didn't see much snow at all and thought Davenport might not be able to finish. Looked like a sliver that started pretty short of the summit that went down the SW facing side, then again, i am long way from it. I am guessing with the reference to the long treck out, that he went more SE facing. Big congrats to Davenport, its a huge project, burly lines and tons of effort to slog up those 14ers.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Major props Chris! Can't wait to see the footy of them all.

i thought aaron ralston accomplished this feat two years ago? was davenport just doing what he did but on skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Knockneed Man View Post
    and the first to complete it in one year.
    No, he's the second man. But many, many props for accomplishing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    I'll be really interested to see where there was snow. I was peeking at Longs the other day and didn't see much snow at all and thought Davenport might not be able to finish. Looked like a sliver that started pretty short of the summit that went down the SW facing side, then again, i am long way from it. I am guessing with the reference to the long treck out, that he went more SE facing. Big congrats to Davenport, its a huge project, burly lines and tons of effort to slog up those 14ers.
    I think it's ok if he didn't ski it from the top. He didn't ski Bross from the top as far as I can figure out.

Congratulations, and good for you, Mr. Davenport. Way to git er dun!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

That's pretty rad. In fact, it's almost like being sick and going sickter.

Huge Congratulations, man!!

Your wife and boys are undoubtedly psyched to have dad around a bit more with #54 behind you. Hope to see you at the x-tivities next week.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Now he needs to ski all the alaskan 14ers
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

What an accomplishment! Good job, Chris!
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?

No, he's the second man. But many, many props for accomplishing that!
    No, he's the first. We've been over this ad nauseum.

I think it's ok if he didn't ski it from the top. He didn't ski Bross from the top as far as I can figure out.
    Wrong again. He skied both from the true summits. That was the entire point of this project. If the peak wasn't skiable from it's traditionally highest skiable point, it wouldn't count. It took him almost the full calendar year to find the last few peaks actually skiable from the summits. He didn't ski "on" these mountains, he skied them from the top.

Please don't start this again. Chris has been magnanimous and humble, including Lou and Jason in this quest.
    I also want to thank those ski mountaineers who came before me and paved the way on Colorado’s 14ers, most especially Lou Dawson. Without Lou’s sage advice and counseling I would have been inspired less and lost more. Also Sean Crossen and the entire Crested Butte crew for always getting after it, and to Jay Ivanic, for boldly skiing these mountains alone.
    All should be given their due, however, what Chris has done stands alone. One day, in an epic, stable snow year, someone will surely do them in a number of months. Until then, this achievement is the pinnacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    No, he's the first. We've been over this ad nauseum.

Wrong again. He skied both from the true summits. That was the entire point of this project. If the peak wasn't skiable from it's traditionally highest skiable point, it wouldn't count. It took him almost the full calendar year to find the last few peaks actually skiable from the summits. He didn't ski "on" these mountains, he skied them from the top.

Please don't start this again. Chris has been magnanimous and humble, including Lou and Jason in this quest.

All should be given their due, however, what Chris has done stands alone. One day, in an epic, stable snow year, someone will surely do them in a number of months. Until then, this achievement is the pinnacle.
    I'm really sorry if I got that wrong. The question in my mind about Bross was based on his TR on his website. I was curious about it because I had been that way myself just a week or two before him and there wasn't any snow within hundreds of yards of the summit. But who am I to question - I really don't have a clue about any of it.

Many, many apologies if I have got it wrong in my mind. No matter what, I think he has done enough to make any mom proud!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau