Gargellen at Montafon in March

Hi there,

We are planning trip to Gargellen at Montafon valley in March. Not much talk about Gargellen here at TGR but I have understood that it's good place.

Do you have some good tips where are best backcountry spots at Gargellen.

I have to get back to work week before my friends .
    Do you what is best way to get back to Munchen from Montafon area?

Thanks in advance

I'm answering to myself to travelling question. It's easiest to take train from Bludenz to Munchen. If i understood correctly there should be somekind of transport from Gargellen to Bludenz.

I wonder why Gargellens tourist office won't translate their website also in English

i have never been myself but one does hear that gargellen is a good place. as of now, they don't have much snow, like everywhere else in europe. there is a telemark festival thing there this weekend that i would got to if they had snow and i had no exams...

there is a bus from gargellen to bludenz:
    http://www.postbus.at/vip8/postbus/en/index.jsp
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Been there two years ago. Definately interesting, lots of potential. Couldn't do much due to high avy levels, so stayed on/ around the pistes.

Did some very nice touring around the Saarbrucker Hutte a year or two before that though. Definately hell of a lot of potential there. From eays to hard. Nice added bonus: hardly any glaciers there i.e. leave the ropes and crevasse rescue gear at home.

Gargellen is a small family resort off most people's radar. Usually there's plenty of snow so momentary conditions do not represent. The lift accessed terrain isn't stellar so bring AT gear.

For just a couple of days the place is o.k. but after that you want more. Consider lodging at Schruns or Gortipol/Gaschurn. There's more terrain plus you can get into Gargellen by bus from there.

FYI the standard access to the Saarbrücken Hut is NOT from Gargellen but from Gaschurn at the end of the Montafon valley via Madlener hut and Bieler Höhe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Gargellen is a small family resort off most people's radar. Usually there's plenty of snow so momentary conditions do not represent. The lift accessed terrain isn't stellar so bring AT gear.

For just a couple of days the place is o.k. but after that you want more. Consider lodging at Schruns or Gortipol/Gaschurn. There's more terrain plus you can get into Gargellen by bus from there.
    Correct
    FYI the standard access to the Saarbrücken Hut is NOT from Gargellen but from Gaschurn at the end of the Montafon valley via Madlener hut and Bieler Höhe.
    Correct again.

Shruns, Tschagguns, Gargellen. All within 25km of each other, or so. I'd rent a car before having to hassle with public transport, but that's just me...

I heart the Silvretta Nova.
    Last edited by Tippster; 01-16-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The lift accessed terrain isn't stellar so bring AT gear.
    No need, I'm 99.9% certain that Juha will be using tele's .
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Gargling Montalban?

And here I thought purveying pureed pork product twinkies was weird. Euros, sheesh.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I skied the Montafon region back 6 winters ago with a group from Ontario. It turned into more of a drinking on the sun decks than skiing tour. We were lucky that our friend whom organized everything grew up in Schruns. None of us were too interested in the off piste side of things, just ripping groomers between bouts of RedBull Vodkas.

I'd reccommend staying in Schruns and getting the Montafon pass that gives you access to all that the valley has to offer. Between the train and busses you can easily access them all.

I could dig up some pictures, damn we drank ALOT on that trip.

Montafon kicks ass. It's certainly one of "the little areas that rock". Skied 1+m of pow on December 17 2005.

Stay in Schruns and check out the different areas.