Whistler or Banff????

Been to Whistler in Winter skiing and to Banff in summer but never skied. Looks like the best places to hit in 2 weeks...which is better now for in- bounds skiing?

Have you even looked at the snow reports at each one? Whistler is averageing well over 30" of new snow per week, while doing ok Banff is not exactly killing it, mtnlion can chime in here on the specifics.

Um, uh.... is this really even a question? Haven't you heard how much snow Whistler is getting????? It shouldn't even be a question!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

but if you really like bumps like your name says you do ski banff

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Whistler has been getting silly amounts of snow but with whistler 2 weeks can be the difference to much rain and/or frozen shit. Whistler tends to be either really on or really off much of the time. Banff is much more consistant that way, less time of incredible skiing but large percentage of very good to really good skiing. Whistler = more roll of the dice with potential big payout Banff = more sure thing not as big a payout.

Watch the weather and wait as long as you can to book. With Banff you could cover your bases by including Fernie which has also been getting tons o snow but can also turn sour fast but you're close enough to choose.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

lake louise has the most snow for this time of year in 38 YEARS (another 30cm today), and i'm sure sunshine is in the same boat. would you rather ski with 3000 other people, or with 30,000? how much do you like lift lines?

RE>>>>lake louise has the most snow for this time of year in 38 YEARS (another 30cm today), and i'm sure sunshine is in the same boat. would you rather ski with 3000 other people, or with 30,000? how much do you like lift lines?<<<<<

Thats the tradeoff....I had my heart on Banff this winter and the snow sounds good....but Whistler is bombing....and I know Whistler gets very crowded.

....I had my heart on Banff this winter and the snow sounds good....
    If you were looking forward to Banff, this is the year. Huge snowfall isn't unusual for W/B, but Lake Louise & Sunshine rarely have snow like this season.
    Personally, I'd rather you picked W/B, though.

Quote Originally Posted by speedinbally View Post
    lake louise has the most snow for this time of year in 38 YEARS (another 30cm today), and i'm sure sunshine is in the same boat. would you rather ski with 3000 other people, or with 30,000? how much do you like lift lines?
    What?? - LL 24hr is 3cm 7 day is 50cm,
    KH though is getting it big time 24hr 23, 48hr 66cm and 7 day 115cm
    Last edited by DougW; 01-09-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    What?? - LL 24hr is 3cm 7 day is 50cm,
    I think he was talking about snow that fell today. The LL webcams sure looked good this afternoon.

As said before, Whistler's weather is more variable, but so far this season the only strange weather that occured was exactly a week ago, when it rained to 1700m, in 2.5 months, so I wouldn't worry too much... We got 15cms last night, 24 fri and sat nights, and it's looking good for the next few days...

Anyways, Banff is wayyyy better, more skibums, better beer, cheaper everything, don't waste your time in whistler. Seriously, I think Banff is cheaper.

whistler = high risk stocks

banff = low risk stocks

different town vib too. banff is a small mountain town that has great skiing.

whistler is disney land on an old garbage dump.

If you do go to Banff, defiantly check out Kicking horse for a day, they're having a retardedly good season.
    Big mountain or Bust.

Banff all the way dude.

My Kootenay Kool Aid Vibe and curled soul patch lip is telling me "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence."

In other words, follow the sign and head to the Rockies.
    "A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    Whistler has been getting silly amounts of snow but with whistler 2 weeks can be the difference to much rain and/or frozen shit. Whistler tends to be either really on or really off much of the time. Banff is much more consistant that way, less time of incredible skiing but large percentage of very good to really good skiing. Whistler = more roll of the dice with potential big payout Banff = more sure thing not as big a payout.

Watch the weather and wait as long as you can to book. With Banff you could cover your bases by including Fernie which has also been getting tons o snow but can also turn sour fast but you're close enough to choose.
    Are you retarded. Anybody with a dick and can ski would choose Whistler. Seriously, Whistler= warm weather, tons of snow, always raining up to mid mountain. Banff= fuking cold, rockies snowpack=shit,shallow weak snowpack. It can be -20 for weeks and never snow. Whistler = thick, fat, stable, full of rounds. Rockies=facets, depth hoars. facets, facets, facets. Did I already mention facets? Fuk Banff. Ski Whislter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal King
    "Is there any piece of clothing on earth uglier than a baseball cap?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal King
    Grant Gunderson is fucking gay

bump or 2014
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    bump or 2014
    heh - just noticed the date. This thread could have been posted today and been pretty much accurate (including the snow totals, warm weather at Whistler a week ago, etc.)

There is more to west Calgary than just Banff. Fernie, as mentioned, 33 hours SW of Cowtown, can be epic pow or wet cement. But when good, it is outstanding. Kicking Horse, for experts, is relentless. all steep, all the time. For families, Panorama covers a lot of ground, Tayton Bowl, front side Extreme Dream area for experts/powder hounds. Tayton can have good powder for a week after a dump, particularly outside of the Christmas week and February Family day
    Weekend. A little further from Rock Louise and KH is Revelstoke. Revy is unreal, if difficult to get to. The road can get closed for days at a time. The upside to being stranded is you can ski epic snow while the road workers plow.

Whistler/Blackcomb is awesome, but there is more to Banff than those three resorts.
    Using Tapatalk

Spring time in the Rockies is the best time.Even more so if you have skins.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

There's a reason it's called the Rockies and not the Snowies.

Just sayin...

Relax Banff peeps. I'm just joshin ya

But really... Is this even a question?

Old thread but....Whistler gets puked on, but late in spring it turns to shit fast. Rockies are more consistent at this time of year. But as for anywhere this late, get it in the morning or risk it getting shmoo'd in the afternoon warmth. Go read the Whistler thread to get a pretty good idea of the local attitudes there LOL

Whistler - shit loads of terrain and steeps that snow doesn't stick to in resort in the rockies. Fuck off line ups and wait in the rain for the lifts to spin. Douchebag local wanna be pros.
    Banff area - it's like your own private hill at this time of year, very little concern of rain. No lines. Not as much terrain and not nearly as steep (stricly speaking inbounds)