Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bozeman area bootfitter

I have some boot issues and was wondering if there are any good bootfitters in the bozeman area. I have gone to kevin at PHD with mixed results, and would like to try something different. Any reccomendations?

Everything I have read/experienced is that Kevin is the only bootfitter in the Bozeman/Bigsky area who is any good. I have also experienced mixed results with Kevin and am going in to see him this week. He is so moody when I bring my boots in.
    I love big dumps.

Go in there and talk to the manager Stu. He should be able to help you out with boot issues.

For AT/tele go see Dan Jones at Northern Lights. Give him a call, maybe he can help you with your alpine boots too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    For AT/tele go see Dan Jones at Northern Lights. Give him a call, maybe he can help you with your alpine boots too.
    I hope you are kidding? I watched that guy fumble fuck around with some intuition liners for nearly 2 hours and almost destroyed them. He's great if you are looking for attitude without results. Go to Stu he's not moody and is much more chill than Kevin. Stay the hell away from N. Lights at all cost.

I asked the same questionhere

I personally like Dan at Northern Lights. I have never had him cook liners though.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    I hope you are kidding? I watched that guy fumble fuck around with some intuition liners for nearly 2 hours and almost destroyed them. He's great if you are looking for attitude without results. Go to Stu he's not moody and is much more chill than Kevin. Stay the hell away from N. Lights at all cost.
    Really? Were they your boots he was working on? When he cooked my intuitions he did a great job, couldn't be happier. I've never had him give me any attitude at all. Are we talking about the same person?

Don't know how serious your boot issues are, Tom and his crew at Chalet have punched out my boots and helped with other minor problems. If Kevin, Dan or Tom can't help you maybe some Big Sky skiers know someone up there.

I'm going to get some intuitions this weekend at Grizzly Outfitters in BS. A patroller told me they were one of the first to do intuitions, has anyone been there/can comment on them?

I had some issues with my T1s earlier this year and Travis at chalet did a great job and knew what he was talking about. They do a lot of intuitions there and they were really reasonably priced.

dan has cooked liners and done footbeds for me back in my tele days. he did an outstanding job and i would have no qualms going back to him for new footbeds or liners. five years later and im still using the same footbeds.

that said, if you dont mind the drive down to big sky, i have had tom at gallatin alpine sports do some work on my boots this season. did so well i wore them all the way through lunch without unbuckling and didnt even notice. my boots went from somewhat painful to slipper comfortable.

I dont know about grizzly, but GAS does intuitions as well. after my experience with tom, i wouldnt go anywhere else when it is time to replace my liners.

stu has never worked on my boots, but i know him and he is a good guy for sure.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Ended up going to northern lights... very helpful. Much more concerned about comfort than Kevin is.

bump. any updates? I'm in need of new boots this season. Willing to go anywhere within a couple hour drive of Butte
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Funny that I started this thread.

I work at a shop here in bozeman, and consider myself pretty decent. If you are coming through town, would be happy to find a boot for you.

A couple of ?'s... what are you looking for (alpine, tele, AT?), size, and price range.

We are still getting new boots in, and some of my inventory is pretty low.
    Last edited by single; 10-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.

I'm going to buy new boots soon. Any updates?

Thanks.

If you make it north to Banff come see me. Also good guys in Frenie and Calgary too. We have snow and are skiing now too

AFAIK, not much has changed. I think Dan is back at N. Lights, Kevin's still moody, Stu's still a good guy, and I've heard some good stuff about Grizzly. The guys at Chalet seem decent, and there's a woman at Roundhouse (Erica) that I thought knew her shit.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I'm going to buy new boots soon. Any updates?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    AFAIK, not much has changed. I think Dan is back at N. Lights, Kevin's still moody, Stu's still a good guy, and I've heard some good stuff about Grizzly. The guys at Chalet seem decent, and there's a woman at Roundhouse (Erica) that I thought knew her shit.
    I've said it elsewhere, but I've had great luck with Erica at Roundhouse. Your best bet is to be dialed in what you need and to make an appointment. Is she the best ever? No, but she'll get you set-up. I've had her fit me for two boots in as many seasons with good results. I have hobbitt feet and the boots have been great thus far.

I've also had great luck with the guys at Lone Mountain Sports. Several of my friends only buy from them; both boots and skis and rave at them. I've had them do a few RFN mounts on closeout skis I've bought and the few times I've foot-fucked some boots, they were happy to play along.

As for PhD, I think I'm the only one I know that has had only one positive experience in the last 15 or so years. About 10 years ago, I had some custom cork footbeds done by Kevin. They've lasted me through several boots and were done right the first time. Every other time in there? Not so much. Your results may vary, as plenty of people do like PhD.

Concrete - if you end up going to Roundhouse, shoot me a PM. I might be able to help you out there.

I have had an excellent experience every time that I have been to PhD sports. Stu and Kevin are awesome guys and if something doesn't work out for you they will be committed to helping you get as close as a fit that you want without any extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Used to work at roundhouse. Erica can talk a big game, but I don't know I would call her a good fitter. If you are really serious about fit, I would go to somewhere like Jackson or SLC

Finally get a real job, Graham?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Finally get a real job, Graham?
    Pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Pretty much!
    +++vibes+++
    Gravity. It's the law.

Old thread bump, who is the most legit bootfitter in bzn/bs in 2016?

Not what some dude on the chair/ at the bar/ my patroller buddy said, looking for first-hand experience.

Bozeman area bootfitter

I like Grizzly in BS. I forget names, but they have at least two very experienced guys. They've worked on boots for me for the last several seasons with great results. The one time they fucked up and ground too much off my insole, they made me a new pair the next day for free.
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."