No Ankle thread on 1st page? Not anymore.

Tree down. Coming to a stop to manuever the board through. Slipped. POP. Writhe in pain. Pull right ankle from binding. Can't move on my own. No stability. Move through tree, re binding up, ride down using left foot only to steer board. Car. Left boot on while buddy skis. Feeling it swell. Getting tight. Boot off finally. Oh shit. Ankle size of large apple on big ankle bone side. Can't lift ankle up on own, but can pull with my hand without pain. Can move side to side.

6am yesterday am. ER time. Pain on level 8.8. Swelling like I have never seen even though RICED it all night. Xray shows no break, but swelling so much he said hard to tell.

Diagnosis: Severe High Ankle Sprain. In boot aircast, crutches for a week, then start weight bearing and start rehab now at home (since this is a reinjury from last time I know remember), moving it around now and can move it up and down a tiny bit already.

Will wait for more snow now and not play so close to the trees, especially downed ones.

This time I am paying for stupidity.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Damn, that sucks.

Heal up fast! Hopefully it's less serious than it looks and feels right now.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Buzz,

I'd be suspicious of this. If your ankle does not get better in a week or so get a referral for an ortho visit and have them check for an injury to the dome of the talus. The injury itself is to the cartialge on the surface of the bone and maight not show up on x-ray especially if there is a lot of swelling as you describe.

good luck with that and hopefully it heals without any need for futher attention. If you need any info drop me line.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Buzz,

I'd be suspicious of this. If your ankle does not get better in a week or so get a referral for an ortho visit and have them check for an injury to the dome of the talus. The injury itself is to the cartialge on the surface of the bone and maight not show up on x-ray especially if there is a lot of swelling as you describe.

good luck with that and hopefully it heals without any need for futher attention. If you need any info drop me line.
    Vin and AG, thanks, I hope to get back in a few weeks and am doing PT already. I have a new board I need to ride!!!

I am trying to be optimistic here, but at the same time I am suspicious. I am at work, been icing every 2 hours for 30 minutes, and now have less swelling and noticeable improvement in moving my ankle up (toes point to wall, then pull foot up to toes point at ceiling). This movement is encouraging as I could not do this to save my life yesterday.

12/26/06 5PM, 5 hours after injury:

12/27/06 8:29AM, ER

12/28/06 3:30PM, Just now at office:

RICEing is helping as you can see. What is the red spot on the outside of the ankle bone? Blood trapped from trauma?
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 12-28-2006 at 04:47 PM.

The swelling doesn't look too bad in those pics, but I'm sure they don't do it justice. The location of the swelling is somewhat high up on the ankle, hence the high ankle sprain diagnosis. A high ankle sprain is an injury to the ligaments that hold the tib and fib together. Unfortunately that would be a similar area for injury to the dome of tha talus as I mentioned before.

If you are doing therapy already have your therapist check the dome of the talus, specifically the anteror-lateral area. This will be palpable with the foot in plantarflexion only. When the foot is dorsiflexed it can not be palpated. it may be painful with full dorsiflexion though, but an high ankle sprain will also be painful in this position especially when forced passively.

WhiteRoom Skis

The rainbow is starting to show a bit. Yellows, purples......Blood draining into bottom of ankle too.

Just got off crutches for the last 6 days. Hurts a bit worse now than it did. But I am also stretching/moving/keeping as much ROM as possible.

Hurts bad to point toe to floor right behind ankle, like a pulled achilles? The red spot on my ankle bone is very sore too and just stays red.

Last edited by Buzzworthy; 01-02-2007 at 12:40 PM.

bummer, Buzz. Hope you heal up fast.

I f'd my ankle up about as bad as that last summer when I was six miles in the BC on an overnight backpacking trip. it happened just as we got to camp. The next morning I woke from the tent in pure agony. I couldn't put ANY pressure on the bottom of my foot. I know your pain!! But at least you don't have to make it six miles out. DON'T RUSH THE HEALING PROCESS!! or you'll be fucked up for longer. It took about two months til i wasn't painful to hike. Even four months later I had trouble getting into a ski boot, but all is well now some 6 months later.

Thumbs down

Hmmm, thought this was a reinjury, but from looking back in the users galleries, nope:

Last time ankle booboo:

Doc appt Thursday afternoon.

if it is a high ankle sprain it will take quite some time to heal. Be sure to ask about the talar dome injury at your appointment

WhiteRoom Skis

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    if it is a high ankle sprain it will take quite some time to heal. Be sure to ask about the talar dome injury at your appointment
    How long normally? I got 2 months till my buddies come out from Jersey to board. Wrote down talus dome injury to ask about too. Maybe by then I can brace it up and take it easy.

Guess I will know more tomorrow.

Damn Buzz, sorry about the ankle. I just found this thread. Vibes on the way.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

if a regular grade 1 ankle sprain takes about 7-10 days a grade 1 high ankle sprain will take 2-3 wks. grade 2 regular sprain 2-4 wks grade 2 high ankle sprain 3-6 wks give or take a bit.

let me know how your appointment goes

WhiteRoom Skis

Well it has been 9 days now and I can barely put enough weight on it to shower. Very unstable still.

In one of these for the last few days:

Appt at 3:30 PM MST. Crossing fingers.

Post Ortho Update

Glad I went to a real doc. Been walking around on a semi-broken leg.

Diagnosis:

Grade 2 High Ankle Sprain AND
    Tiny stress fracture in lower Fibula (I could barely see).
    PT session already last night after doc appt to keep ROM and start to strengthen.

Areas of concern:
    Possible Talur bone problem, can't quite tell yet. Putting me through PT hardcore at first to test some things on the Talur stuff. If I do not repond well and timely to PT, MRI will be next.

Next PT appt, Tuesday 4pm.

Have to wear Aircast boot for another week or so for the fracture, but am to take it off to do some exercises on the ankle every few hours then ice. On crutches again too for a week or so for the fracture.

This is the same Physical Therapist that got me back from my left knee scope, left ankle re-sprain and now right ankle sprain. He is good, he is tough and he says I will be back on the slopes by the 1st of Feb, taking it easy. (if the talur bone stuff is good to go).

Praying for PT to go well and no Talur MRI crap.

Thanks Vin, you should do this type of thing for a living.

glad I could help out a little. Get the swelling down and maintain your ROM. After that you'll just have to see how things go as far as the talar injury.

The talar dome injury is a fairly common snowboard injury, but hopefully it is not what you have.

Good luck and let me know how things turn out.

WhiteRoom Skis

Thumbs up Update

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    Heal up fast!
    Apparently that is what I am doing. 2 hour PT visit yesterday and they really cranked on it (sore this am for damn sure). Lots of other exercises, ROM, muscle strengthen stuff. He had me stand on a table, hold my ankle down as I do a twisting motion and he worked the HELL out of it, almost felt like I was going to go down. He wanted to test some ligaments, tendons and more.

So, I am out of the boot brace, wearing normal shoes and it is still just tight. I can't walk yet without a limp and the achilles is too tight also.

I have the go ahead to ski groomers as he looked at my boot and fit and said no more than a few hours once a week for the next 3 weeks. No bc, no snowboarding yet either. I am contmplating hitting Beaver for a few hours Sunday, but will depend on ROM, strength then and pain factor. I don't want to re-injure.

So things are going better than expected, especially after I heard that initial pop.

There is something nice about seeing the same PT that helped me with my knee and other ankle. He knows what I do and what I am going to ask for (how fast can I get back on snow). Larry is cool.

He also said he could tell I have been home PTing it, as the ROM is much better than he expected. I like hearing all this good news.

And boy is it nice to be wearing shoes again. That boot was getting old.

good to hear buzz, keep up the good work.

WhiteRoom Skis

Happy to hear your recovery is ahead of schedule Buzz. Good luck on Sunday - hope you can get out & have fun

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Happy to hear your recovery is ahead of schedule Buzz. Good luck on Sunday - hope you can get out & have fun
    With a 2.5 hour PT session from hell yesterday, I think I will take my time and not head up this weekend. Very swollen and very sore. But my ROM is getting a lot better, it is a lot more stabilzed (can stand on one leg and do my exercises now) and getting stronger.

They had to break up some scar tissue yesterday and that was not so fun.

Taking my time, snow level still not to my snob standards and I want to heal well enough to finish the rest of the season strong. Time heals all wonds right?

Gettin back to it!

Skied 2 groomers yesterday. Went up with several couples and kids and did 2runs on the skis. Felt ok, but not strong yet. Came in to let the wife ski her first day this season. I played with the rugrat in the snow.

Wife loved it and thanked me for only taking 2 runs so she could ski. Nookie points!

I wanted to test the ankle for next Sunday as my parents from Dallas will be here and the wife and I are skiing all day WITHOUT kid!!! So I will PT more this week ice and rest it up.

Hopefully back to full tilt by spring BC time. Not a bad season to be semi gimped though.

Time to have as much fun as I can for the next few months, braced and taped.

Looks like I have a genetic defect in both ankles that is allowing the Peroneal Tendon to pop over the ankle bone. I had my left one reconstructed in 97. They went in, cut a groove in the back of my ankle bone, pulled the tendon under and put something over it to keep it in place.

So far in PT, it has popped over the bone 3 times. Once more and my PT is sending me back to the doc. They are giving me the impression that it needs fixed.

So I am PTing like a mofo, trying to get the rest of the ankle strong to avoid sugery. I am walking fine without limp now, but it did pop over last PT appt. Ouch.

So time will tell. And I know what will be up if they say to go for the MRI.

Info on this tendon problem:

http://footandankle.mdmercy.com/cond.../peroneal.html

peroneal tendon sublux suxxors, sorry mang. keep working on the rehab. if it just kind og snaps it should not be a big deal. if it is fully dislocation anteriorly that is a problem and it might need to be fixed. I recently worked on a guy with a torn preoneal inferior retinaculum which had to be surgically fixed along with some other stuff.

WhiteRoom Skis