Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I feel like I've found a 2nd home. I've read these entries and feel for each of you. Its been almost 2 years since my right ankle was rebuilt, plate & screws all around. I still have pain on walking. I'm doing water aerobics and warm water therapy and that helps some. I've walked, I've done all kind of different things trying to get my ankle back to normal. It hasn't happened. At times I feel so discouraged but try to convince myself at least I have my ankle. Doc said he did the best he could. Thinking I'll get a second opinion. My question to you all is for the ones that had the screws out, on the inside of my ankle the screws there cause pain no matter what. When you had your screws out, how long was the recovery and was it worth it? I'm so afraid to have that done and then have more problems and maybe lose that ankle. I'm being a freak I know. I was in a bad car accident in 2008, hit by two trucks, broken ribs, broken back, punctured lung, broken right knee and right ankle turned to the right. The only pain now is tailbone & right ankle. I'll quit whining now. Thank you for any replies.

I had a trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle in 1998, which was plated with two plates and 9 screws I think. The screws became annoying because they would rub on things, etc.... I got them out in September of 1999, about ten months after the initial injury. Recovery was a breeze, no PT or anything necessary, and after the screws and stuff were out ski boots were once again comfortable. Total recovery was about six weeks for the holes to fill with bone. Get em out. Oh, the longer you wait the more recovery will be needed because your bone tries to grow over the metal like when you wrap a wire around a tree and the tree grows around it.

Interested in how old yous guys are? Im in a boot now and may need surgery in a few weeks. Im 30, so was wondering if the healing times im reading about are for 50 year old dudes or 18 year olds?

I was 34 when the injury occurred and 35 when screws were removed. I'm 46 now and it still hurts, but it skis fine. Vicodin is occasionally required.

Smile

HarmonyGrits, thank you for sharing that info. I hope it hasn't grown around so much it will be worse. I will get a second opinion for sure now. We're headed to Alaska for a month in mid May and all that's been on my mind is slipping and falling on a glacier and into the water! Its too late to get that second opinion now until we get back.
    Brannen, this injury occurred when I was 48-y-o in Nov 2008. I hope your recovery is a breeze and doesn't require surgery!

Hi, New here. I was trying to find some information about walking after screw removal from my failed ankle arthrodesis, and i ended up in this forum. I didnt realize it was for sporting injuries until i registered, but im hoping someone might have some insight anyway. In 2008 i fell and broke my ankle, both maleolli, tibia in 2 places, fibula in one. I ended up with a plate and 8 screws on one bone, and 2 screws on the other.. about 8 months after initial ORIF surgery, i had so much pain that i couldnt walk. I went to several doctors because they kept telling me it was arthritis, and i refused to believe that the pain i was having was ONLY arthritis. (I know better now) I finally gave in, and in May of 2010 I had surgery to fuse the ankle. They took out all original hardware and replaced with 5 new screws to hold the ankle at a 90 degree angle. I thought I would be on my way to no pain, even if it meant giving up the use of my ankle. Well, 3 months, non weight bearing...then another 3 months in a walking boot, then into "shaper" shoes. I never got relief from the pain. I had to go into a pain management clinic because i needed to take narcotics regularly just to get through my days. I eventually got my surgeon to do a ct scan because of the pain. He said there was a nonunion, and we should try a bone stimulator...I decided against going through with the fusion and opted to have the 5 screws taken out of my ankle. I had this surgery done a week ago, (april 2011) and my dr didnt bother to tell me when i could walk on it. my 1st post op appointment isnt until may 3rd. Im taking the time off work, keeping off the foot and have done some research on prolotherapy, and plan to go through with THAT. So, just havng screws removed.... should i be able to walk on this ankle? p.s. im 41 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by shaybaby70 View Post
    I had this surgery done a week ago, (april 2011) and my dr didnt bother to tell me when i could walk on it.
    Call your doctor's office.

hi i want to know about talus fracture

Quote Originally Posted by brannen View Post
    Interested in how old yous guys are? Im in a boot now and may need surgery in a few weeks. Im 30, so was wondering if the healing times im reading about are for 50 year old dudes or 18 year olds?
    ...i want to know about talus fracture plz

want to know how long it requires to walk normally after talus fracture..plz

Have similar story...only broke my fibula and tibia at the ankle....had screws, pins, plate put in. What a mess. Being a nurse, I immediately knew that something was wrong the day after surgery...had unrelenting pain, horrible swelling, drainage, hot flashes, shortness of breath. I repeatedly asked my surgeon (weekly) if I was having a reaction to the metal or a serious infection??? He resisted every effort I made to discover the problem and insisted that it was arthritis, over and over again. Finally three weeks ago (broke my ankle in May, 2011) he was done with me and sent me to another surgeon in town who does fushions. I was mortified thinking that I would have to have my ankle fused in place. Thank heavens this new surgeon immediately recognized that arthritis was not my major problem. After immediate lab work and xrays, it was determined that I had a life threatening infection. He immediately scheduled surgery to get the metal out and I am now on 8 weeks of antibiotics. My ankle is two weeks post surgery, has almost returned to normal size and I am pain free other than stiffness from non-use. I am thoroughly disgusted that my initial surgeon ignored my pleas to find the cause of my troubles and know that from my sypmtoms that I had an infection from the initial surgery. I am back on crutches with partial weight bearing. Before this metal was taken out, I was using a walking boot and was in agony 24 hours a day....the pain was overwhelming. Hope to get stitches out this week and can slowly progress my weight bearing and exercise till I can again walk on my ankle. This has been so frustrating. I train and show horses and had a horse fall with me when this happened. I am an extreme competitor so I will get back in the saddle but probably not for another few months.

Hi everyone , I'm new here . This may be a long post but was wondering if the pain I'm getting is normal and approximatly how long it will last .
    I'm a truck driver , Last May 16th , I loaded a full load of lumber in NC. . While tarping ,I lost my grip and fell 13 1/2feet to the ground . at which time I broke both my lower fib. and tib. (9 breaks in total ) and smashed my ankle totally . I was taken to Winston Salem and ended up with external fixation . Excellent care to every regard while I spent the week there . It was going to be 2 1/2weeks before they could even consider surgery due to the swelling . My employer had to bring a driver down to get my truck back to Canada so I came back with him . Now this is were things start .
    It was almost 3 weeks after I got home before surgery could be done . I had the surgery and had a fiberglass cast put on . I didn't have to go back to the hospital for 6 weeks for the next appointment , which at this time , more xrays cast was removed and an air cast was put on . My next appointment was anouther 7 weeks for xrays .This time I didn't get to see my original surgeon for one reason or anouther , the replacement Dr.had said things were healed good and put me on 50%+ weight bearing for the next 4 weeks . Go back again for xrays and this time see my surgeon and my ankle was still not healed in 2 places , and should have still been using the air cast. Now I'm at the 50% and now seeing a PT. My issue now is all the pain that I'm recieving all the time , even as I sit here in my chair with my feet up as I'm typing this . My PT says that I did have some serious breaks and It's still healing . The pains that I get are the bottom of my sole and heal when I put weight on it , My ankle , My shin and it sometimes goes right up to the spot were the screws were in for the external fixation .Also, the top of my foot has this tingling feel all the time and sometimes sore to touch it . I go back to the hospital for more xrays and to see the surgeon in a week ,hoping to be able to get rid of my crutches .
    They figure I should be able to go back to work in Feb. and heres to hoping .

Waiting to have my ankle surgery and not looking forward to it

Hi everyone,
    I'm going in for surgery Dec. 19, I broke my right ankle Aug. 19- lower fibula and dr. said I didn't need surgery and put a cast on. Had the cast on for 7 weeks and was told the fracture is not healing, then went into a boot and more x-rays and bone is still not healing. Went for a second opinion and this dr. said I should of had surgery and that my bone is displaced and needs to be put back in place with plate and some screws. I am so pissed, now I have to not only go into surgery, but have to start the healing all over again with the cast and the fun crutches. So so frustrated and now I at least know what I have to look forward to after reading all the posts, this has been very helpful. I'll keep you guys updated!!!

Had xrays again yesterday and still not healed completely , they are going to schedule me for a ct scan to have a better look to see why and maybe that will show why I keep getting all this pain , just have to wait for an appointment now ,

best of luck to you guys. Hang in there big truck. Sounds like you busted your ankle up pretty good. When you start to heel up to the point where you are ablt to do some good PT take it seriously. Be patient becuase its going to take along time. Best of luck man.
    it doesnt realli matter as long you as you remember to wake up and go skiing

Hello all. I'm Lani and I'm 24 & from Australia. I would like to tell my story, I'll make it quick. Broke my ankle in 3 places, dislocated it and tore tendons whilst practicing falls for roller derby and it was my first every session was operated on straight away (they thought id been in a car accident & couldn't believe how banged up it was for something that had zero impact) anyways a plate & 7 screws later. 2 weeks cast, 6 weeks in total non weight baring, itS coming up 4 months post op on jan 1st and I'm still limping, in heaps of pain, n medication is starting to become lollies as I get use to them. I'm going to make an appointment with another private surgeon who operates on me before (my other ankle I injured at work n had 4 operations on, yes I have shit ankles, arthritis already setting in and I'm only 24). Anyways I'm going to get a second opinion. I would prefer not to have the metal removed as I've read research that indicates your 80% chance of re-fracturing it once the metal is removed.

I am actually really scared for my future. I cannot play sport I use to due to the pain, and a trip to the shops becomes a challenge. What will I be like when I'm 30?, 40?,70? If I'm in so much pain now, popping pills like lollies and unable to enjoy life.

Anyone hear a little older who had surgery on their ankles at a younger age to give me insight to what is to come as doctors tell me they cannot give me that kind of information.

Wish u all a merry Xmas xx

Just saw the date on this tread. Hope I can still get to you. I cracked(hairline)l my bone in the ankle area. Think the name of that bone starts with an F. Also think it is the bone from the leg to the ankle at the bottom. Did more damage to the ligaments than anything else. The foot was swollen and all black and blue with blisters. After the cast came off the foot was discolored. Boot is on now. What did you ever find out about driving with the boot on. Can it be done at all or would you have to wait for the boot to come off? I tried it with the boot and just got a few miles because the pressure with the brake petal made the ankle pain. Just had to turn around and go back very slowly. By the way it is a five speed ranger. How does one walk with the boot and crutches to apply weight on the foot? Do you just keep adding more pressure weekly a little at a time? I have to go back on the 20th of next month. Said that a shoe brace would be put into my shoe but I don't see how with the way the foot is now. This really scared me because I am 64 and fearful of it not healing as fast as a younger person. I am drinking horsetail, oatstraw, comfrey and devils claw to try and get more absorbable forms of calcium in me. Also doing VITAMINCODE RAW CALCIUM and enzymes. Don't know if all this will work or not but it sure isn't going to hurt to do it. If it helps I am doing a good thing for sure. Having feelings of pins and needles in my foot. Not much pain at all. This happened on the 7th December 2011. Any comments would really help. Thanks!!!! Tom Majors

Quote Originally Posted by mike06498 View Post
    hi i fell 2 stories inside a barn and broke both of my ankles.my left one had 2 pins put in them.a week later i had 2 pins 7 screws and a plate put in my right ankle because i hadto wait for the blood blisters to heal.its been 5 months and i still am in a wheel chair.the doctor will let me put pressure on my left foot to pivot to get in and out of my chair and thats it.the pain right now is about the same as it was when the surgery and not changed.the doc said that when you injure the ankle the nerves and tendons were damaged so bad it will take some time for them to repair themselves.

Hi
    i broke my ankle in 2 places 7 weeks ago n had an operation n they put in a metal plate at each side of ankle with 3 pins each. i have got a non weight bearing cast on.but am worried about what will happen when they remove it in a weeks time.
    can anyone shed any light on what wil happen or cud happen

Quote Originally Posted by lozamanda View Post
    Hi
    i broke my ankle in 2 places 7 weeks ago n had an operation n they put in a metal plate at each side of ankle with 3 pins each. i have got a non weight bearing cast on.but am worried about what will happen when they remove it in a weeks time.
    can anyone shed any light on what wil happen or cud happen
    When you go back to the hospital they will probably take x-rays to insure its healed , then most likely put you on 50% weight bearing and send you for physio therapy . That's my guess .

Oh my - It's been 1 week since ankle surgery last week for 2 breaks, spriral fracture and soft tissue damage after a fall on the ice (1plate, 1gigantic screw). No weight and ankle above the heart. I see the surgeon for follow-up on Thursday. I'm a little scared after reading these posts but thanks for opening my eyes to potential issues! Will keep uou posted.
    Last edited by seattlebreak; 02-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.

To offer a sunnier angle for some of you folks. I broke my ankle on 16 Nov 2011, had surgery to repair the displaced fracture of the anterior portion of me Talus, three screws and one plate. I was in a cast non-weight bearing for 2 weeks, cast was removed and I was put in a boot non weight bearing for another 4 weeks. I began PT as soon as the cast was off and am already back in a ski boot at week 6.5 post-op. I was told to hold off skiing until April for some reason.

At the 6 week mark I went back for post-op X-Rays and they showed that the bone had completely stitched and there was no remaining evidence of a fracture. I also tore half of the cartilage of my calcaneus. The doctor perform Chondroplasty to replace the torn cartilage with scarred over blood in essence.

I am not recommending that you follow my path of healing but I just wanted to let everyone know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am still only supposed to be 50% weight bearing for the next week and then 100% weight bearing a week after that. The day they gave me clearance for 25% I went ahead and started with 50%. It felt okay so I went ahead to 100%. It has been just fine in the boot but without the boot I still don't have normal gait.

Hopefully I will be back full bore skiing around the first of March with meadow skipping until then.

Keep your heads up, those ankle will get better!

I had foot and ankle surgery in aug. 2011. Theht bone in the back of my left ankle for some reason became deformed and shredded my tendons. The surgeon had to reconstruct the bone then remove all the torn tendons. He had to reattach what good tendons i had left. I was in pt for a month before surgery then for 3 months after surgery. Was off work for 3 months. Its been 5 months now and still walk with a limp and terrible pain. I was told the pain is from fatigue. My tendions are still very tight and im still very unbalanced. Also my calf muscle died and they said it has to be retrained. I just had the worse cramp in that muscle that made me scream for awhile. It was the most painful thing ever. Now i cant walk. Im so depressed. Im 56 years old but act younger. This is awlful.

update post ankle surgery

No real update after my 2-week post op visit. Staples removed and sporting a boot but no weight on the foot for another 3 weeks. So bored and depressed. I did get a knee scooter but haven't used it yet. just crutching from bed/chair to the bathroom is about it!! I am so fearful of injuring myself I just don't go out or get up much. Another appointment on the 26th. I'm 52 - I really want to plan a vacation after I can walk again but obviously can't since I see how different everyone's outcome is!!!

A short follow up to my previous post.

I have been skiing and even went on a decently long ski tour. I tried the ankle in my much tighter fitting Alpine boot with less luck. Three top to bottom runs and I was done, had to get the foot out of that boot ASAP. I changed back in to my touring boots and skied another four laps. I will be honest and say that I was very sore in the ankle at the days end but it was worth it. Three days after all of this skiing and my ankle is starting to feel better! I haven't been taking vitamin I or icing which I should but overall it still feels pretty good. I am going to take some time off from skiing probably until the end of February when I get back from Belize. But so far things have been good and they can be for all the rest of you.

Don't be afraid to get out of the house, even if it is to crutch to the movies or a restaurant. Getting out of the house will drastically improve your mental health! Take up a small hobby that you can do with your hands. Last time I was on crutches for 6 months I taught myself to pick locks, I had an assortment of locks at the bedside and made some home made racks and tension keys and went to it!

Mental health is as important to getting through this as healing your ankle is.

I'm having ankle surgery on 02/24/2012 Im a little scared from reading these post I think I'm only having one plate and two screws put in I'm a smoker and read about the risk of surgery from been a smoker is any one a smoker who had surgery? And how was the healing process?

severe ankle and ligament injury

Quote Originally Posted by clanadie View Post
    Quick update on my progress. Now early March and I'm down to using one crutch...................YIPPEE!
    It sucks having injuries like ours because they are one of a kind. About 7 months almost 8, i broke my left ankle bone tore my right ankle bone way out of place and tore my ligaments in foot, ankle and partially up my leg also tore tendons. I had 2 surgeries one to put a metal plate in along my left ankle with 9 screws and a pin going through both my ankle bones(extreme pain would reccommend pain killers), and the second suregery removed the 4 1/2 inch pin. So the metal plate and 9 screws remain in me for life. The recovery process is unbelievably long and requires extreme patience. Hell the psychological factor is as tuff if not tuffer than the injury and physcial pain itself. I am a sports guy who is always playing sports every kind of sports and for the last 8 months i havent even been able to run or jump. At one point again ill be able to play sports and run and jump but thats still a ways away. As for sports in the sand that could be out of the question for life. The sand is now the most dangerous place for people with severe ankle and foot injuries because it is not a flat surface, but a surface that gives way and allows your foot and ankle to land in weird positions that are not suitable for poeple like us. It is an injury that far exceeds my other injuries and ive messed myself up quite a bit. No one can understand or relate to this feeling and injury unless they have gone through it. This is an injury that has changed my life and the severity of pain is temporary but the injury is permenant and life altering. You got to just work through it, you will get stir crazy thats for sure and in those moments just try doing something productive that makes you feel good and or happy, unfortunatley these injuries arent going away and will take a long time to heal, just listen to the doctor and dont be dumb because you dont want to go through it again, patience is the virtue here. Wish the best of luck it aint easy thats for sure.