Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^You prolly know this, but thought I'd mention that yoga therapy tune-up balls from Jill Miller work better than a lax ball for ankle mobs.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

For how long did they continue your pain meds? I'm going to have my 6 week check up and am almost worried to ask for another refill since they look down on narcotics! Please let me know, I don't want to look down upon!
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezasis View Post
    For how long did they continue your pain meds? I'm going to have my 6 week check up and am almost worried to ask for another refill since they look down on narcotics! Please let me know, I don't want to look down upon!
    Thank you!!
    Pain is subjective . If you need pain meds ask for them. The MD will not ask you if you want more. He will ask you to rate your pain so be honest . I only took pain meds for first 3 weeks because they just weren't helping . My swelling after surgery was causing most of pain so he split cast to allow for swelling and that helped . I took anti inflammatory too. Once swelling went down pain decreased. But 13 weeks later there is still some occasional shooting pain and PT causes discomfort . I'm not telling you this to discourage you, just want you to be realistic . Somebody told me "movement is medicine" and to hang on and keep looking forward. . It's a long road back that I'm still on it " walking " with you.

I broke my fibula and dislocated my tibia 8 weeks ago. I have a plate and 5 screws. I walking in a boot with crutches and will be starting PT wednesday. So far recovery has been well, the only thing is that i get random sharp pains and vibrating pains going up and down my entire leg, what is that from its driving me nuts because its so random im never prepared for and im afraid its going to cause me to fall while in trying to walk. Does anyone else have this?

I came to this thread while researching recovery from ankle surgery/ankle fracture. Wanted to share my story because it is a positive outcome. I am a 39 year old female, 3.5 months out from a complex ankle fracture sustained during roller derby practice. Many fractures, tib & fib along with dislocation to the front. I have a plate and 12 screws. This was the most painful experience of my life. The ER staff was left speechless at first sight of my ankle, and some even looked away. Had surgery 24 hours after injury and was lucky to get a talented surgeon. Post operative was a horrendous and painful time, physically and psychologically, it was very difficult. Hard cast and crutches for six weeks, out of work for four weeks, down to one crutch and walking boot for another two months. I lost the boot two weeks ago, and I am walking pretty slow with a limp, but I can walk and I drive (standard transmission). I can do the stationary bike. I do the stairs (7 flights) to my office twice a day. I do PT once a week, and everyday on my own. Doctor said I would suffer from chronic pain and arthritis, due to the complete lack of cartilage in my ankle now (was literally scraped off). He said I most likely would never have full mobility back. Progress is slow, but it is steady and every day I am stronger. I tire easily, and the swelling can get intense by the end of the day but rest, elevation & ice always takes care of that. There is a challenge in finding comfortable shoes (so I just wear sneakers for now) I needed oxy for the three weeks after the surgery, but then I quit because I needed to return to work. I sometimes take aspirin or tylenol every couple of days now, but that's all I need.

Patience is key here, when you're frustrated just know tomorrow most likely will be better. Time heals.

I am not back to running, skating or playing roller derby but...my attitude is one of "defy the odds" and "you are an athlete" so I am strong and determined to do better than what doctors tell me I will. It is hard, but I always try to stay positive. Mental attitude gets you far. Hang in there. You can heal!

Hey, I'm 26 years old and 4 weeks ago I broke fibula and tibea and did ligermeant damage in my ankle playing girls AFL (Australian football league). Plate and screws in the bones plus screws in ligermeants. Screws in ligermeants will come out after 3 months. Have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences but its made me feel bad for people who have had such a terrible journey through recovery.

I have experienced hadly hadly any pain the entire time. Part of me feels confused and suspicious that my journey so far has been so smooth. Maybe it's the calm before the storm? i came off medication 2 days after surgery as I was not experiencing pain. I was suspicious that I had even had surgery until when I got recast I was able to see the two rather large surgical scars. In two weeks I get my cast off and get a moon boot with 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks. I'm hoping during physio I can recover quickly to get back on my feet at work. But I'm scared that I will push myself to quickly and injure myself.

Im hoping for 100% recover by the 6 month mark but maybe I'm being optimistic.

Stay positive. Mental attitude will get you far with this. Being young and athletic don't hurt either. Glad to hear another positive story!

Have also found that compression socks are LIFESAVERS. This is my second broken ankle (roller derby injuries) and I have relied on compression socks to keep swelling and pain at bay, while giving a little bit of support. I usually sleep in one too.

Just wanted to write this post to inform people of knowledge that I did not have when I broke my ankle. So I went on many blogs searching for recovery timings, and got confused when I heard some people were allowed to go 100% weight bearing after only 6 weeks post op and some people were allowed to get into the moon boot after only a few weeks. I was confused because my timings were different and it made me suspicious that my doctor was being more cautious then other doctors who had told there patients quicker recover times. These people had Tib and Fib breaks just like me so why was I not allowed 100% weight bearing until 14 weeks after my surgery?? Well I eventually found out why. There are 3 areas that you can break your tib and fib. Its called weber A, weber B and weber C, Depending on where you break you ankle, affects your weight bearing and recovery timings. So the last 6 weeks I have been angry that I am not allowed to even walk on my ankle without a cast or moon boot for 14 weeks (which means during physio I am only allowed to walk in a pool for another 8 weeks) and felt ripped off by my doctor. Until I found out I had a Weber C fracture, which is a high break on the Fibula and tearing of the main ligament. This means I have a screw across my tib and fib until week 12 when it will be removed. This screw is rather large and if to much weight is applied it will break (hence why only 50% weight bearing until it is taken out). So my warning is to people who read blogs of people who recovered super fast is that : Be careful. They may only have a weber B fracture and are allowed to recover at that rate. Don't compare yourself and try to match there recover rate if you have been told by your doctor to wait longer. Also don't get upset if you are not recovering as fast as other people because your break may be quite different to the person whose blog you are reading. Be careful listening to advice from friends and family who have 'done a Tib and Fib break, or had ankle surgery before" and give you advice about how quickly or slowly you can do things with your ankle. Listen to your doctor . Hope this Post made sense.

I found this forum while looking for information on what I should expect post ankle surgery. I have kind of a strange situation: I live in Japan where my doctor's idea of the healing process is vastly different from what I would experience in the States. I broke my fibula on what I believe is the lateral malleolus. (The diagnosis was given in Japanese and my medical vocabulary isn't up to snuff.) I had surgery about four weeks ago to put in a plate and six screws. After the surgery I didn't have a cast or anything to immobilize the ankle, just some dressings over the incision. A week later, I was told by my PT to start putting weight on it when I transferred from my hospital bed to my wheelchair. She had me start practicing walking using the parallel bar things towards the end of my week in the hospital once I had gotten a small brace for my ankle. It's three weeks since I was discharged from the hospital and my doctor has told me that it's safe for me to put my full weight back on the ankle. According to him, I can return my crutches whenever I feel comfortable.

On the one hand, he's obviously a certified doctor and did a good job with my surgery. On the other, Japanese medical practices are pretty different than what I'm used to in the United States. I go to PT three times a week and do whatever my PT says I should (including putting weight on my ankle), but at home I stick to swinging around most of the time. I'll have the hardware removed in November (they don't leave it in here), so I have that to look forward to.

So here's my question: what does a typical recovery timeline look like for this kind of surgery?

I suffered a minor medial mallelous break 5 weeks ago at Abasin. Getting out of the air boot cast next week and am hoping to be cleared to start weight bearing and learning to walk again. I want to get an ankle brace to wear during the day. Which ones are good? What should I avoid? Put up a few pics of designs I am considering below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149445.788252.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	167901

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149525.030481.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	167902

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149581.998687.jpg 
Views:	1135 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	167903

Thanks mags and heal up!
    stay outta my line

I suffered a minor medial mallelous break 5 weeks ago at Abasin. Getting out of the air boot cast next week and am hoping to be cleared to start weight bearing and learning to walk again. I want to get an ankle brace to wear during the day. Which ones are good? What should I avoid? Put up a few pics of designs I am considering below:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149445.788252.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	167901

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149525.030481.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	167902

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1435149581.998687.jpg 
Views:	1135 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	167903

Thanks mags and heal up!
    stay outta my line

Friday bump for a double post
    stay outta my line

Bueller???
    stay outta my line

Question RECOVERING FROM ANKLE SURGERY

Hey y'all. I just wanted to give my story. I'm new here. 22 years old, my husband and I play (played) on a coed softball team, it was our life. October 17, (2015) I was playing in a all night tournament and I slid into second base, me and everyone on the field heard a crack . I immediately knew something wasn't right. I thought maybe a sprain, I'd never broke a bone before. Well 2 days later i decided i couldn't handle the pain so i went to the ER. they did xrays and said it was broken and i may need surgery. Went the following monday to the bone and joint dr who said i am not to put any weight on it and scheduled surgery for October 27th. My Fibula was fractured and the ligament that holds the two bones together was torn so those two bones were separated.. they went in and put a plate and 5 screws in. The bone will take 6-8 weeks to heal and the ligament will take 10-12. And then I'll go in for a second surgery to have the large scew removed. I was in a cast but he recently put me in a walking boot, because i complained about the cast and it is healing ok but i am still not aloud to put weight on it or walk. I go in every 2-3 weeks to get xrays now. After the last surgery, he says I'll need physical therapy.... will I ever get to play softball again? And how long does it take to be able to walk again after something like this? (Oh, and I have a 5 month old baby. While I'm using a knee scooter to get around because i hated the crutches. I highly recommend a knee scooter) .

Quote Originally Posted by Aspeight View Post
    Just wanted to write this post to inform people of knowledge that I did not have when I broke my ankle. So I went on many blogs searching for recovery timings, and got confused when I heard some people were allowed to go 100% weight bearing after only 6 weeks post op and some people were allowed to get into the moon boot after only a few weeks. I was confused because my timings were different and it made me suspicious that my doctor was being more cautious then other doctors who had told there patients quicker recover times. These people had Tib and Fib breaks just like me so why was I not allowed 100% weight bearing until 14 weeks after my surgery?? Well I eventually found out why. There are 3 areas that you can break your tib and fib. Its called weber A, weber B and weber C, Depending on where you break you ankle, affects your weight bearing and recovery timings. So the last 6 weeks I have been angry that I am not allowed to even walk on my ankle without a cast or moon boot for 14 weeks (which means during physio I am only allowed to walk in a pool for another 8 weeks) and felt ripped off by my doctor. Until I found out I had a Weber C fracture, which is a high break on the Fibula and tearing of the main ligament. This means I have a screw across my tib and fib until week 12 when it will be removed. This screw is rather large and if to much weight is applied it will break (hence why only 50% weight bearing until it is taken out). So my warning is to people who read blogs of people who recovered super fast is that : Be careful. They may only have a weber B fracture and are allowed to recover at that rate. Don't compare yourself and try to match there recover rate if you have been told by your doctor to wait longer. Also don't get upset if you are not recovering as fast as other people because your break may be quite different to the person whose blog you are reading. Be careful listening to advice from friends and family who have 'done a Tib and Fib break, or had ankle surgery before" and give you advice about how quickly or slowly you can do things with your ankle. Listen to your doctor . Hope this Post made sense.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. THIS SAME THING IS WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW :/

pain in non orif ankle

To make a long story short I got kicked by a horse on DEC 8 broke right fib had orif surgery a week later. I realize pain in my 'good' ankle is somewhat normal from taking on all my weight, I am already 10 weeks post op, but I am wondering if my left ankle may also be displaced. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I have my checkup next week which I will be talking my doctor about this. Also just upon comparing the ankle my bone does seem to be protruding. Can an ankle be out without knowing it? I was more concerned about the fracture I didn't even feel the pain-my doc saw the xray and told me it was out. Its good to know there is support out there with ppl in similar experiences. Thanks

Unless you had an actual injury to the nonoperative ankle, and unless you have some sort of neuropathy that would make your pain perception abnormal, it's utterly unlikely that you have any fracture or dislocation to the other ankle without knowing it. Broken bones and dislocated joints have a way of letting you know, foregoing mind altering substances, adrenaline, etc.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Unless you had an actual injury to the nonoperative ankle, and unless you have some sort of neuropathy that would make your pain perception abnormal, it's utterly unlikely that you have any fracture or dislocation to the other ankle without knowing it. Broken bones and dislocated joints have a way of letting you know, foregoing mind altering substances, adrenaline, etc.
    Yes the kick sent me flying a couple feet back and since I was holding the riding rein (1 rein that goes around the horses neck instead of split reins which wouldve slid through my hands when horse kicked, I was about to get on) unfortunately it happened so fast I had a hard hold on the reins and was trying to pull the horse back which probably made the initial injury worst. By that time I was in a bad spot where I got most of the kick impact plus the resistance force of holding the reins. Sorry I guess I should have explained this better.

I do have a high pain tolerance level which can be good and bad...but I feel the pain all the time in my 'other' ankle when standing for more than five minutes.

Thanks for the response.

.....Oh yeah I was thinking perhaps a partial displacement...yeah I do know the pain of a full out dislocation.. Not fun. My left knee has been (acl & mcl)torn up from many dislocations.
    Last edited by jennab; 02-27-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: forgot to say something

feel your pain

This has been a horrific last few months for me as well. Up until a few years ago I was managing my ankle problems by wearing this bulky cast. Had injured it throughout the years playing sports, but basically broke it when I misstepped hiking. Fast forward to today, I was rehabing it and somehow torn ligaments in my knee (guess it's all connected). I would say get the surgery sooner than later for others with this issue because all the rest and rehab only helped alleviate the problem, not necessarily solve it. A quality compression ankle brace will mean less aspirin and swear words too

Surgery for me in April - getting the peroneal tendon fixed up. About 12 weeks of recovery and rehabilitation. Great.
    Gravity. It's the law.

The anaesthiologist gave me a choice for a spinal or put to sleep for the op. How bout you guys? I took a spinal...I have had problems seeing things further away and also memory problems. But I don't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Surgery for me in April - getting the peroneal tendon fixed up. About 12 weeks of recovery and rehabilitation. Great.
    Hey Axe. Update from my surgery.

I am now 38 days post op.

12 days in a plaster cast, 100% non-weight bearing. The pain from the work wasn't too bad, I was off the Oxycontin in 5-7 days and mostly it was just before bed to help with sleep. I was keeping the foot elevated most of the time. Getting around 98% on a knee scooter (get one with a basket), I had crutches but rarely used them

19 days in a fiberglass cast, 100% non-weight bearing. Some minor swelling in the evenings. Still keeping elevated most of the time.

I am now 5 days into a new fiberglass cast that has a built up shank and can walk around weight bearing. I still have to be careful and keep the weight light but it is getting better by the day. Doctor gave me a shoe that the cast fits in for gimping around. I still am using the knee scooter when I feel tired/sore.

In another 9 days the cast comes off and I get a boot for a couple off weeks and start PT.

It has been a bit of a drag to miss an entire season but I had to be done when I can take time away from work.

Good luck with your trip out here and the surgery.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thanks, Bunion.

I think I lucked out in that I don't get a cast - just a boot. 2 weeks total non-weight bearing, ~6 weeks in a boot 24/7 light weight bearing, and then ~6 weeks of rehab. Very similar to my non-surgical recovery last time around. I guess the good news is that I'll be having this done during the busy work season, so no loss there, and I should be on the bike by July or so.

Looking forward to the trip!! Sounds like the Bears are already waking up though, so my wife will be taking the fire extinguisher out on the trails while she snowshoes.
    Gravity. It's the law.

You must not have fucked your ankle up good enough.

The Bears are out down low in the park, up round the Dark Side they will still be asleep. If the wife wants to borrow some Bear Spray, let me know.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"