modifying helmet

hi,

i ordered a giro g10 MX and it arrived today. got it in a small, i tried the g10 on in a shop in small but wanted the MX so then went online to get the MX.

having just tried my new helmet on it feels a bit too tight around the sides (just above the ears.) the medium would be too big. when i take out the liner from the hemlet it fits well on my head.

my question is can i modify this hemet to my head? does anyone have anyexperience?

i was thinking of lightly sanding down the sides (that force too much pressure onto my head) and then attaching some foam. this advisable?

i dont want to tamper too much with the helmet but it needs some light work definately.

can anyone recommend some materials to work with or a good way of dong so?

cheers.

its not something I would do.
    It sounds like the helmet just doesn't fit right. I'd try to return it and keep trying things on.
    Different models are going to fit differently, it sounds like you need something a little more round in a small instead of something oval

I've done this to most helmets I've owned (i.e. added padding or removed it to make it fight the way I want). I typically use a dremel-type attachment to my drill to remove material.

I consider it part of the process of getting the right fit. I figure if you're going to take an impact you don't want it distributed to some pressure point where your helmet doesn't fit correctly.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 12-11-2006 at 08:05 AM.

well i dont have the expertise i decieded so have sent it back.

could anyone tell me which helmets apart from the g10 MX have visors. i am specifically looking for a helmet with a visor.

thanks

New TDL open face have a visor so its just like an MX helmet but without the jaw. I think a company called Sweet make a helmet with a visor and it look like you can fit a visor to any of them.
    http://www.sweet.no/helmets_snow.htm
    Last edited by mountain_man; 12-11-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: found website
    I ski therefore I am.

I was just wondering, is the purpose of a visor purely aesthetic or does it have to do with protection?

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    It's to keep the sun out of your eyes

aesthetic firstly, but there is no denyting that it keeps a certain amount of light and snow out of your goggle/face.

those helmets from 'sweet' look amazing - troopers s1 fc

cant imagine i can get my hands on one being in the UK - shit!

They're in the UK at a couple of places. Snow + Rock and somewhere else. Check the Sweet dealers or outlets or something link.

I was thinking a dremel with a big round sanding type bit would work well to remove material. I can never find helmets that fit and figure i'll resort to this eventually.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Some have stated that the visor can be good for tree skiing and keeping branches form wrecking goggle lenses.

I know some people who have big ass heads and have used a spoon to push the impact foam around the head (in the tight areas). This is done by applying pressures to the spoon with the spoon facing away from you and putting your thumb in the spoon. might work for you helmet freddiegemini.
    I ski therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by freddiegemini View Post
    aesthetic firstly, but there is no denyting that it keeps a certain amount of light and snow out of your goggle/face.

those helmets from 'sweet' look amazing - troopers s1 fc

cant imagine i can get my hands on one being in the UK - shit!
    It's the US where they're close to impossible to find. UK should be no problem.

No visor for the Rooster...