Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

warmest mittens?

Time to buy some new mittens.

My hands are always cold. So I'm looking for the warmest possible mittens. No such thing as too warm. Unless it's above 45, I'm wearing mittens. Under 30 and I have disposable heaters in them. Under 15 and I have two sets of disposable heaters in them (one in the thumb and the other in the fingers). And my hands are still cold. The rest of my body can be sweating and I'm usually wearing a helmet liner under my helmet and my hood on top of that when it's cold, and often a puffy under my shell. I've heard all of the "dress warmer, if your core is warm your hands and feet will be too", but it doesn't help much. Especially when I'm hiking, I can be dripping sweat and my hands are frozen solid.

I'm thinking maybe North Face Himalayan Mittens. Any other suggestions?
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

I was going to suggest the Himalayans if you hands really get that cold. Or anything that has down and dry loft should keep them pretty toasty.

I think the Cloudveil troller mittens are hawt shit, but probably won't be warm enough for what you are wanting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

These are pretty fakn warm! I have some (older version) and they're too warm for all but the most frigid conditions for me, but I ski very warm.

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/hom...s/ascent/71870
    Last edited by oftpiste; 11-26-2006 at 01:25 PM.

I like the Marmot Randonnee Mitten

I have a new pair of OR Expedition mitts that I use for, well expeditions. I believe I have worn them twice (too warm). I use my old OR shells with a pair of Sierra Designs down mittens inside. This works for cold climbing and really cold biking. The systems are also easier to take apart and dry for use the next day.

Wore this set-up for a bike race last night with temps down to -17F no problem.

Do you have raynaud's syndrome?
    Last edited by Camel Toad; 11-26-2006 at 01:51 PM.

It doesn't sound like anything is going to be warm enough. You may have to break down and go with gaper gear/electric gloves.

TNF are as warm as anything I have seen.

I think the Marmot Expedition Mittens are even thicker than the Randonnee Mittens listed above:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...m/103982/N/839
    p.s. I have the opposite situation from you: I wear Marker Spring gloves all year round. I have OR Overmitts and I can never wear them.
    Last edited by IrieRon; 11-26-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

HESTRA!

You know how dexrous they are!!!!!

Plus, make sure that the sinch on the mitt and on the cuff of your coat isn't tight. If you leave them a little loose you'll get better circulation to your hands. Any chance that all those layers are getting a little tight arround your wrists?

-J

I was going to recommend the Granite Gear Lutsen mitts. I've had a pair for about a decade and they solved my cold hand problem completely without ever using heaters, but I just checked their current website and they don't seem to have outerwear listed anywhere so I'm not sure if they are still available.

Anyway, here is a decent review of good mitts.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    Under 30 and I have disposable heaters in them. Under 15 and I have two sets of disposable heaters in them (one in the thumb and the other in the fingers).
    Instead of putting the disposable heaters by your fingers, try taping them to your wrists.

Marmot Expeditions

I also get cold hands. When it's 20 or below, I use the Marmot Expedition mittens mentionned above. I really like them, and they're plenty spacious enough to wear liners underneath.

Backcountry, I climb in BD Glissade's and switch to the Expeditions for going downhill.

http://www.canada-goose.com/products...id=96&langid=1

these guys make clothes for people working in the arctic. Most of their stuff is too warm for me.

I'd say, something like this would be pretty useful:
    Ortopox Antarctica

Then there's also those nifty down-mittens, but they might be a PITA to ski with (way, way too much bulk).
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

PM glademaster, I know he rocks the mittens on the EC(can't get much colder then that)
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Some people get a wristband with a pocket for a heatpack. They put the heatpack on the "palm side" of the wrist, so it's close to the arteries underneath. I have a vague memory that some gear designer has Raynaud's syndrome and so he developed this gadget.

My friends with Raynaud's either put their mittens on in the car and never take them off all day, or wear a liner/vapor barrier/mitt system, when they ski.

Quote Originally Posted by bisnibble View Post
    I like the Marmot Randonnee Mitten
    Ditto. Tried these on at Bobo's yesterday and they were WARM. Just couldn't afford the 100$ price at the time.

From my racing days on the EC i would have to say, stay old school and go with a classic, leather race mit......i've been using Reusch Race Mitts for like 12 years and i have never been cold in them, and that includes super cold -20 degree EC ice days. They are super warm, and super comfy - they have individual fingers within the mit....here is a pic of the latest.....

I know it's technically a snowboard mitten, and try it on to see if you still get enough dexterity, but the Burton AK Oven Mitt is a ridiculously warm mitt.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

i can recommend the armot expedition mitts too. bought them for my gilrfriend, she had always cold hands before...

freak~[&]

just a random thought here, but have you tried wearing a super thin glove liner to wick away moisture? I know when my hands get clamy\sweaty they start to get cold.

i hear these are pretty warm
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Semi-related post and reply to pechelman:

When I wore the Serius or the Mountain Hardware thin liners, my hands got COLDER, not warmer. I could never figure out why. Any guesses?

The solution: Marmot Randonnee mittens (which were sent in last week for warranty). Things are warm and dry, but they didn't hold up very well. Seams tore like little bitches.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Obviously someone didnt run a search first. Take a look here..... (NSFW)https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=fisting
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Dang altagirl, and I thought my hands got cold! People make so much fun of me for wearing mittens all the time This may be a silly question, but do you bring different mittens/gloves for hiking? I always hike in a different pair than I ski in because my hands sweat so much. No liner will help. I just have to wear a different pair on the way up than the way down. If I know it's going to be a long day, I'll bring 2 extra pair.

Good luck!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

The warmest I have ever worn would be made by Powder Pipeline which I think are from Canmore, AB.
    Here's a link to a retailer http://www.purcellhelicopterskiing.c...t/clothing.htm (they only show the gloves in the pic)and this is the phone #403-932-1568 that I have for the company.
    Move along nothing to see here.