Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So WOW - lots of suggestions to check out!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    Dang altagirl, and I thought my hands got cold! People make so much fun of me for wearing mittens all the time This may be a silly question, but do you bring different mittens/gloves for hiking? I always hike in a different pair than I ski in because my hands sweat so much. No liner will help. I just have to wear a different pair on the way up than the way down. If I know it's going to be a long day, I'll bring 2 extra pair.

Good luck!
    I do usually bring an extra pair when we hike. The thing that I don't understand at all is that it's like I can feel the circulation going away when I'm hiking. Like the blood decides to go to the muscles in my legs and my lungs and my hands and feet get shut out. If it's warm, and I'm hiking, my hands will sweat, but we're talking sunny, no wind and above freezing.

I'm pretty sure I have Reynauds to some degree. And I think I've had minor frostbite as a kid when I refused to go indoors much in Michigan winters. I've read of people having it a lot worse, but it's fairly annoying - my hands are usually cold indoors all winter long. I'm pretty good about sucking it up while skiing, but on the coldest days I have to go in and defrost them under the dryers in the bathroom and it pisses me off to no end.

I'll have to try putting the heaters on the inside of my wrist. Today I just stuck a pair on the inside of my palm (like between my hand and the ski pole) and they stayed pretty toasty. I don't think the cuffs around my wrist are too tight, and I think with heaters there I'll have to be even more careful, but that's always worth keeping an eye on. And I do need to be better about keeping my gloves on all the time (gotta answer the phone, find lip balm, etc. every once in a while).

I've tried various wicking glove liners - OR, TNF, etc.. They maybe help a little, but area at least not a solution for me on their own. It does help to be able to take everything apart to get them dry faster for the next day.

And I guess I just don't think anything could be "too hot". I'd be happy to take them off on the lift if that ever happens!
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by IrieRon View Post
    I think the Marmot Expedition Mittens are even thicker than the Randonnee Mittens listed above:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...m/103982/N/839
    I like the Marmot Expediction mittens with a liner glove.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    From my racing days on the EC i would have to say, stay old school and go with a classic, leather race mit......i've been using Reusch Race Mitts for like 12 years and i have never been cold in them, and that includes super cold -20 degree EC ice days. They are super warm, and super comfy - they have individual fingers within the mit....here is a pic of the latest.....
    +1 These are the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    From my racing days on the EC i would have to say, stay old school and go with a classic, leather race mit......i've been using Reusch Race Mitts for like 12 years and i have never been cold in them, and that includes super cold -20 degree EC ice days. They are super warm, and super comfy - they have individual fingers within the mit....here is a pic of the latest.....
    Thirded. My hands got cold too until I started using Reusch and Auclair stuff. I've been toasty down to -5 F ever since.

Wink

You have exactly the same problem I do with COLD HANDS! The warmest mitts I found are made for dogsledding and they work well for me although I still put one pair of handwarmers when I ski on really cold days (like 5˚ or colder).
    I bought these from the website at Technical Advantage, the "Prairie Snowstorm Mitts". You need the SMALL! Only problem is it's a pain to get them through pole straps but I can deal with that. Hope this helps. Here's the website:
    tadvgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    This may be a silly question, but do you bring different mittens/gloves for hiking? I always hike in a different pair than I ski in because my hands sweat so much. No liner will help. I just have to wear a different pair on the way up than the way down. If I know it's going to be a long day, I'll bring 2 extra pair.
    Yeah a thin glove for the up and gloves or mitts for the down

I like to use a taped gortex shell (eithr an OR or MEC) and layer whatever is needed inside the mitt usually a polartech 300 mitt and a polypro glove liner

I have found if your hands sweat they get the inside of the glove wet which makes your hands get cold but if you wear a thin stretchy polypro liner it keeps your hands away from the cold sweaty insulating layer

with a 3 part system you can wear any combination of the 3 , its easy to take them apart to dry OR repalce whatever is wornout

http://www.discountworkgear.com/prod...es-743-89.html

Warm as fuck. Keep me toasty in -20 F
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Interesting bump of a very old thread. In any event, I have found the Outdoor Research Alti Mitts to be the absolute warmest mittens made. They are made for 8,000m peaks (K2, etc..). Extremely warm.

The word is that RBH Designs vapor barrier mitts are the warmest mitts available. I don't know how they'd work with ski poles.

Level Prima Loft Over mittens.... when it gets -20 or -30C pull em on over your normal gloves and boom never a problem!!!!!! plus they cost like 20 euros in Austria couldnt be more than 25usd..... plus they have oops which make em easy to slip on and off!!!!!!!! if u have finger gloves on it keeps u pretty finger mobile....

sorry but the climbing gloves will get you into trouble if u are a sweatly palmer!!!! its not really about having the warmest its about keeping hands dry......

Vapor barriers completely change that ^ ^ ^ equation. Not enough time or space here to fully explain VB's.

BD Mercury Mitts are pretty warm.

spook Guest
    i used to get cold hands, too. for snowboarding, i use a glove liner, so when i have to take my mittens off to adjust gear or whatever my hands don't freeze, because it takes forever for me to get them warm again. then a standard pair of insulated mittens -- i think my newer ones are prima loft -- i had some cheap helly hansens that had the handwarmer pocket on the back of my fingers. then a pair of taped waterproof/breathable rei mitten shell and my hands are rarely cold. i usually drop the handwarmer inside the mitten on the palm side but since i'm using a mitten i can move it around as necessary. i carry an extra pair of liners and handwarmers in my pack. i'm usually okay if my hands don't get wet.

um....literally....??

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/mitts-boots-hats.php?cat=117
    or
    http://www.northernoutfitters.com/s-...s-mittens.aspx

realistically......check out the BD Mercury Mitt at a min. or any of the high end BD, Marmot, OR, or TNF mitts.

I doubt you have any disease or syndrome. Don't belittle yourself by feeling you have to legitimize your condition by giving it a fancy medical name. Every girl in jxn or any other ski town thinks she's got rey. disease.

you got cold hands. so what.

of course I could be wrong....

I use synthetic shearling lined choppers, and rag-wool liners. Super toasty. Just make sure you put some SnoSeal on the shells.
    Gravity. It's the law.

leather choppers from the hardware store.

seriously, that's what I wore in the UP when it was -10/-20

Love the grandoe Annapurna mitt. Gore tex with leather palm and 300 weight fleece mitt liner and bonus lamb fleece on back of hand. So warm and waterproof. Treat leather palm with waterproof leather rub and good to go. Wore them at -25 f in JH and no issues

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...LAID=253734815
    Last edited by whyturn; 10-30-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)