Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up 183 Head Mojo 103 06/07 ...

...is freaking awesome. More stoked now that Ive been ontop of them than I was before. No one be afraid of this ski. Its super stable to the extent it feels vaccuum sealed to the snow as DSide had mentioned. It destroys crud, floats great, and carves great as well. They were suprisingly quick when you needed them to be as well. MOUNT THESE BITCHES ON THE LINE, THEY OWN.
    For ref, 5'10, 170, 1 year skiing experience.

If you love the explosiv, you should stop living in the past, sell those, and buy these. Its definitely a tad heavier, but it does everything better, especially since its a little more damp, larger sweet spot, and more forgiving.
    For reference, Ive got 180 buddahs, and Im selling them, no need for them anymore. I think they're already spoken for so no need pm'ing me about them.

Had it in 3 feet fresh, horribly chopped up crud, refrozen snowmobile tracks, bumps, hard groomers and it owned them all.

Stay on top of them, ski them fast, and they will reward you. A lot easier to ski than made out to be because of the reputation of its larger 193 brother.

thanks to DSide for the hookup on the skis

Stoked for you mang...great skis.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

also I should offer anyone who wants a run or three on them in the area let me know. Mounted for 315mm.

Thanks Luke

do they ski much different than the monster 103's, or last years supermojo, because i was under the impression that it was essentially the same ski

never been on either
    I think theyre all fairly identical, just with each version getting more refined as far as production and quality control
    ie even flexes, camber, etc

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    never been on either
    I think theyre all fairly identical, just with each version getting more refined as far as production and quality control
    ie even flexes, camber, etc
    yes, i suppose that is right,
    i just skied the monster 103's 183 yesterday for the first time yesterday and i am completely sold on their abilities in all types of snow conditions, i don't know why i didn't sack up a buy a stiff ski like this one sooner!

Dude- I was sensing some buyer's remorse from you before. I was a little worried. Glad to hear you're psyched on the buy.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Stoked on this thread...

Now, if we could just get some fucking snow out here
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

Glad you like your skis, I can't wait to see how my mojo 105 ski.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

I just pulled the trigger on a pair, BUT, I'm 6'0" & weigh around 210 in ski gear & like to go fast & hard. I am wondering if I should have gone with the 193. I already have a 195 powder plank so I went with the 183 because I wanted a KILLER resort ski in all conditions. I figured I could get away with the 183 due to the fact of it being a fairly stiff ski. I would appreciate any input from you maggots out there who have charged hard in the 183cm .
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Its a big ski with a lot of edge, sounds like it should work good for what you want it to do.

At my size, weight, skill, and agressivness I would not reccomend them to someone on the line for all conditions in the resort. They are a handful in tight trees and in bumps.
    Maybe at +1 for that, but even then I think there are some better stiff resort skis for all-around. They are a blast though in open bowls when you want to make a few turns down a face

I think youll have fun if you like to go fast and keep them in the fall line.

pechelman -

I am also glad to hear you rave about the 103's. I picked up a pair of 183 im103's in the summer because I was looking for a stiff, fat ski that would kill anything and make me ski aggressively and that would punish me if I wasn't on top of my game. In short, my im103's were warrantied by Head and I got a pair of 103's. I mounted them on the line and have loved life on them. I second your recommendations on skiing them all mountain: they suck in the moguls, especially the deep, icy gaper moguls on the front range.

Keep on killing it.

great thread, thanks everyone

I was just about to get a set of these in the 193 and decided that the 183 would make more sense in my quiver. Especially since I'm looking for something faster and turnier than my 190 Explosivs in the Alleys.

Very psyched to see the advice to deep six your explosivs for the 183 103. The exception being that I think the 190 explosiv is the best front range gaper bump ski going. It is also good for skiing in the parking lot.
    Now that I've reached 69 posts all communications will be handled via DM.

oh yeah...I'll post some beta after I get on these
    Now that I've reached 69 posts all communications will be handled via DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    great thread, thanks everyone

I was just about to get a set of these in the 193 and decided that the 183 would make more sense in my quiver. Especially since I'm looking for something faster and turnier than my 190 Explosivs in the Alleys.

Very psyched to see the advice to deep six your explosivs for the 183 103. The exception being that I think the 190 explosiv is the best front range gaper bump ski going. It is also good for skiing in the parking lot.
    fyi I think the mayor hates them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    heh. I like it when the mayor finds something he likes.
    He's assimilating the ultimate ski formula one ski at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    heh. I like it when the mayor finds something he likes.
    He's assimilating the ultimate ski formula one ski at a time.
    On a related note, I don't think I've ever seen him ski something other than the proto rockers. (recently)

You should make a 195.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Too bad these fall apart after only a few days of riding! Ive gone through two pair now in a total of 40 days of skiing….Fucking Joke! Have a pair with the wave and they started d-lam’n after 10 days! Fun ski to ride shitty ski to own.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    because i missed this, im replying to it

cause thats not totally correct

I love these skis more than any ski Ive ever been on in 2 scenarios

Skiing chalk in open spaces.
    Skiing groomers at absolute mach in near straight line type turns
    they also have *the* best edgehold ive ever experienced, its uncanny.
    stability is also second to none.

However, I HATE these skis more than any other ski ive ever been on in
    -pow
    -trees
    -bumps
    -heavy setup and choppy crud
    -technical skiing

ie, everything else I like to ski sucks on these skis for me
    they need at least 20mph before theyll do anything resembling float
    they require a ton of energy to ski them safely in techy spots like in trees

they are first and foremost a charging and hucking ski, and I dont really do either of those, and dont have the room I need for them where I like to hunt out good snow, so I got rid of them.

It only took them what, four years- but Head finally tweaked this ski a little for next season to address it's shortcomings.

Skied the new version in JHole- it's softer (a little) and has a bigger tip. Same sidecut, still laminate. Definitely felt friendlier and less bottom-seeking.

reallY?
    fkna
    i may have to checkout this ski again

got a link hwood?

Quote Originally Posted by FZ View Post
    Too bad these fall apart after only a few days of riding! Ive gone through two pair now in a total of 40 days of skiing….Fucking Joke! Have a pair with the wave and they started d-lam’n after 10 days! Fun ski to ride shitty ski to own.
    This is weird. I've heard of this happening to some people, especially the old, orange IM103s.

Funny thing is, I have 3 seasons and about 150 days on a pair from 04/05 I believe (?) and they are totally bomber. I have a few top sheet chips, but no worse than any other ski I've owned. Bases have a few scratches, but never had a core shot or edge damage. They have been totally bomber for me. I guess I got the one pair that decided to stick together...

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    reallY?
    fkna
    i may have to checkout this ski again

got a link hwood?
    Got nothing for you there, and I think the product guy said that I was breaking in the only pair in the states at that point- not going to be a lot of reviews out on this one. I think it's going to be called the 102, but dimensions are the same, flat tail, etc.

And re: 103's falling apart- I'd be willing to bet that whatever makes that board come apart would have the same or worse effect on any other ski.

iggyskier sold me his pair of 183s this summer, and they had some pretty heavy abuse on them when I got them. I put another pretty hard 30-40 days on them this year so far, and other than some cosmetic topsheet chip shit, I've had no problems.

I LOVE these skis. Skiing pow is kinda hard, and I'd definitely rather be on my Lotuses in soft snow, but if you're going fast, you can deal (crank your boots down, though, or you'll get worked.) They definitely require a lot of energy, too, but for someone who skis with a lot more power than finesse for his size, that's not necessarily a bad thing (just hard to do 6 days in a row...)

After getting used to these skis, BROs at mach looney were kinda scary. The stability on these skis is retarded. Landing airs is freakin' chocolate cake. Cut up pow is also fun as hell. Bumps take getting used to, but they're fun once you get it.

Strangely enough, though, I'm about to pick up a pair of 180 Buddahs for when these skis die... Guess I'm doing the exact opposite of the mayor's recommendations--does this mean I need to be put in municipal TGR ski jail?

I say again: I love these skis. I'm a better skier for having owned them (and having been owned/pwnd by them...)
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

^^^Agreed. Awesome skis, but they don't excel at everything. No topsheet issues for me either, but I only have about 15 days on mine. Definitely curious about the 102.