Thumbs up Freeride camps in Europe, India and Japan

Freeride camps in Europe, India and Japan

Forum crew. I just wanted to post this info for a good friend of TGR's. He is working for Chocolate Freeride in Verbier, Switz. They are offering sick trips in Europe, Japan, India and soon in S. America. Check out their offering at www.chocolatefreeride.com .

Here's what he had to say:
    "I have some interesting news…I have partnered up with some friends from Verbier to join Chocolate Freeride Camps, a ski guiding business in Switzerland. Check us out at www.chocolatefreeride.com . We’re offering trips all over the Alps and even far-flung locations like Japan; eventually mountain bike trips in the summer as well as South America for skiing.

It’s not an instruction-based trip. More of a way for people who know what they’re doing to go to Europe and score without the hassles of figuring out the snow conditions, weather, lodging, and deciphering a massive ski resort in a short week. We’ll be skiing with excellent UIAGM-certified guides at each location, and offering an introductory avalanche awareness/backcountry safety program that ties in all week long. We’ll stay in nice 3-star hotels and/or chalets, and each trip will try to incorporate at least one night in a hut, some touring, and a heli day, conditions permitting. We’ll also do custom group trips if you have 4 or more people."

There are some really cool trips there. It seems that more and more groups are offering trips to Kashmir.... I know Extremely Canadian does one too.

Yeah, Gulmarg is definitely gettting some press. Warren Miller went there this year so it should blow up even more. Our crew said the place is really cool. The people are probably very happy to have tourists.

Krippenstein

I've been hearing snippets of info on this place, but everytime i look for info i come back to their german website - can anybody fill me in?

Quote Originally Posted by nipppledeep View Post
    I've been hearing snippets of info on this place, but everytime i look for info i come back to their german website - can anybody fill me in?
    The search function is your friend (or check any of SubtlePlague's TRs).
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Yeah, it's tough to find english info on Krip. We're going to be working with a Guide named Heli Putz who runs an avie school and BC awareness program outside of Obertraun. Apparently he's the man there and his program will tie in with our weeklong trips perfectly. Google him or outdoor leadership to find out more.
    Aside from that, we're totally into doing custom packages if you can put together a group of 4 or more, at any of our locations. Also women's camps in Verbier or any of the other spots as well. Check it out and come ski somewhere cool with us this winter...
    “If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.”

now this is some pretty sweet spam!

i'm still wondering if the warren miller segement will ruin it all this season. i mean itwas bad last year when all those swedes came over from the western alps, but if joe-warren-miller-watching-average-wannabe-offpiste skier comes to the kripp as well, it won't be as relaxed anymore. but since it got the huuuge press coverage during the last few years in german magazines i hope warren won't change anything for the worse either.

oh and edit for me:avoid the kripp at march 10-17. and during the whiterush. does anyone have other big freeride camp/comp dates for the kripp, so i can plan accordingly ?

oh and btw. 3200chf for one week ? i mean heli putz must be expensive because the ski pass is 120euros for a week and lodging in the expensive rooms costs about 40 per night including food. soooo thats 400euros max. and the rest (1600+) goes into guiding ? aye caramba
    Last edited by subtle plague; 11-14-2006 at 05:06 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

This looks awesome! I emailed their info at chocolatefreeride dot com address to get some more info. Do you know if they respond to that often, or is there a better way to get ahold of them?
    Thanks!

who knows.

I am not sure. If they want to sign anyone up they will. Good luck.

spam and a half

Quote Originally Posted by fattwins View Post
    spam and a half

I think your response is a knee-jerk waste of internet space. What the fuck should people post? Do you realize how cool those chocolate freeride camps sound? Did you even check out the website? And it isn't like some fucking corporation with their minions out lurking around the internet taking up space with hot links and no human face. It is a friend posting about some friends, who have started their dream business of taking people on dream skiing trips.

What have you done lately for the ski world?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I think your response is a knee-jerk waste of internet space. What the fuck should people post? Do you realize how cool those chocolate freeride camps sound? Did you even check out the website? And it isn't like some fucking corporation with their minions out lurking around the internet taking up space with hot links and no human face. It is a friend posting about some friends, who have started their dream business of taking people on dream skiing trips.

What have you done lately for the ski world?
    I agree. That site is actually super cool.....

I dream about skiing in Japan. Next year baby.

Skiing in India looks pretty gat too.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 01-15-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Great destinations. The Niseko trip is expensive though. In Niseko instructing for the winter and you can do it independently for much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Great destinations. The Niseko trip is expensive though. In Niseko instructing for the winter and you can do it independently for much cheaper.
    see my krippenstein calculation
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Ok 39 posts up to date and one a pretty good spam attempt really, cause thats what it really is.

What have I done to improve the ski world you ask maybe more than you considering that ive opened my own lodge. The Niseko portion of the trip is lame cause Niseko is one of the lamest mountains in Japan. Go for the snow not for the challenge. Even I could guide you to every area with a topo map ask me and ill tell you how to do it.

I know one of the Choccy guys quite well and wish them the very best of luck.

I'm sure that you would have a great time....you've got to pay for it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keef Riffhard View Post
    We're going to be working with a Guide named Heli Putz
    He may find it hard to land a job with CMH with a name like that.

I can see where fattwins is coming from. I haven't seen him spam about his lodge on any of the msg boards he posts on, even though other forum members do the same. He is always helping out with info on Hakuba and Japan, just because he is stoked on the area and not for promoting himself or his business.
    If this sort of post is considered acceptable to the masses, then maybe fattwins should post some spam of his own in a separate topic. That's up to him though.

Quote Originally Posted by fattwins View Post
    Ok 39 posts up to date and one a pretty good spam attempt really, cause thats what it really is.
    Only 39 posts and in charge of TGR's web strategy. Worked at TGR for what, seven years? I'd say Mr. Jackson can post whatever he wants to.

I think it would be cool if fattwins posts something about his lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    I dream about skiing in Japan. Next year baby.
    Let me know when you go... My Japanese is getting better, I'll be your translator and you'll teach me some more tricks

I didnt see the TGR spot in the profile but i just searched and found it. The thing that I saw and see was a plug. I called it out cause I looked like spam and quite frankly id rather find out that its not spam and be wrong than to let spamers get free advertising. I can take being wrong at anytime. If you really want to ski Japan then Niseko blows goats its a bloodly flat pimple with an average pitch of less than 2 degrees. Try searching for some really mountains either in central hokkaido or in the Japanese Alps.

ICB we just got 2 sick lines in off the north faces of happo the other day.

How is it? Last I heard you guys were having a dry year.
    Europe sucks this year, but I have no cash to fly anywhere else. I'll just have to do fewer days and save some cash for next year.

Its not great but the biggest liones in the valley are stable, kairazu the sock monkey line has been nailed about 50 times this season already. We have a 5 meter snowpack above 2000 meters.