fiending...timberline on hood questions

so, want to get some turns in and the Palmer lift i believe is still open weekends. anyone got beta on that lift in what presumably might be a snowstorm. complete whiteout? appreciate the info. YO

send it

[hiajck] where you at this year hippy?
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

yeah, it's a nasty whiteout. It's usually closed shortly there after.
    Elvis has left the building

Weather has been horrible up there. Wind gusts 50+ mph, sustained winds in the 20s-30s. It's supposed to warm up somewhat at the end of this week (it's been below freezing at night in PDX) and some precip is coming. Too far out to tell where freezing levels will be I think.

I was up there a week and half ago or so (search for my TR), it has some beta. All in all, I wouldn't bother.

If this storm this weekend comes and drops some good snow I'm thinking about giving the Wy'East face a shot next week.

ah, moving back to slc on monday, so so much for that idea. guess i'll have to wait for ut pow. rats.

freezing level should be about 8k feet and drop from thurs-onward during the storm. good luck.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Free air freezing level 5500 feet in the north.. Free air freezing level 7000 feet in the south. Pass winds southeast 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 6500 feet in the north.. Free air freezing level 8000 feet in the south. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph.

Wednesday night: A chance of rain in the evening...then rain after midnight. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Thursday: Rain. Snow level 8000 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph. Gusts to 30 mph in the morning.

Thursday night: Rain in the evening...then rain likely after midnight. Snow level 8000 feet. Pass winds south 10 to 15 mph.

Friday: Rain likely. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Friday night: Showers. Snow level 8000 feet.

Saturday: Rain likely in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon. Snow level 6000 feet.

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 6500 feet.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 8000 feet.

Sunday night: Rain likely. Snow level 8000 feet.

Monday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 8000 feet.

Monday night: Rain likely. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Tuesday: Rain likely. Snow level 8000 feet
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I'm going to be in PDX Friday and was thinking of Hitting T-Line Saturday. Are 6,000 foot snowlines good or do I should I wear a trash bag?
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Tonight: Mostly clear. Free air freezing level 5500 feet in the north.. Free air freezing level 7000 feet in the south. Pass winds southeast 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 6500 feet in the north.. Free air freezing level 8000 feet in the south. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph.

Wednesday night: A chance of rain in the evening...then rain after midnight. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Thursday: Rain. Snow level 8000 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 15 mph. Gusts to 30 mph in the morning.

Thursday night: Rain in the evening...then rain likely after midnight. Snow level 8000 feet. Pass winds south 10 to 15 mph.

Friday: Rain likely. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Friday night: Showers. Snow level 8000 feet.

Saturday: Rain likely in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon. Snow level 6000 feet.

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 6500 feet.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 8000 feet.

Sunday night: Rain likely. Snow level 8000 feet.

Monday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Snow level 8000 feet.

Monday night: Rain likely. Snow level above 8000 feet.

Tuesday: Rain likely. Snow level 8000 feet
    The weather models I have been looking at show snow levels between 4500' and 6500' begining tomorrow (Wed 11/1 through the following week 11/7 -8) with 1 - 3" of accumulation each day. Naturally I like the models I have been looking at better.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Rippeddisc View Post
    so, want to get some turns in and the Palmer lift i believe is still open weekends. anyone got beta on that lift in what presumably might be a snowstorm. complete whiteout? appreciate the info. YO

send it
    check current info here:
    http://timberlinelodge.com/
    ~ e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I'm going to be in PDX Friday and was thinking of Hitting T-Line Saturday. Are 6,000 foot snowlines good or do I should I wear a trash bag?
    shoot me a PM if you're heading up there

i'd be down to do some skiing up there if the conditions are decent

i've been fiending to hike wy'east soon if it gets some snow on it

I’ll send you a PM. However, I’ll be drinking Friday, so alpine starts and hiking are not on my agenda.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    The weather models I have been looking at show snow levels between 4500' and 6500' begining tomorrow (Wed 11/1 through the following week 11/7 -8) with 1 - 3" of accumulation each day. Naturally I like the models I have been looking at better.
    I want a link to these weather models...All mine are showing FZ levels just a bit high...

That's the way it i this time a year unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I want a link to these weather models...All mine are showing FZ levels just a bit high...

That's the way it i this time a year unfortunately.
    noaa.gov, weather.com. for a few. Local weather which also uses NOAA says measurable snow in the Central to North Cascades beginning tonight for the next five days at elevations from 4500' to 6500'. somewhat lower Northern Oregon and Southern Washington Cascades. Be optamistic.
    ~ e.e. cummings

noaa.gov, weather.com. for a few. Local weather which also uses NOAA says measurable snow in the Central to North Cascades beginning tonight for the next five days at elevations from 4500' to 6500'. somewhat lower Northern Oregon and Southern Washington Cascades. Be optamistic.
    I'm trying to be optimistic, but I see too many 7 to 8000 foot freezing levels over the next week...We are moving in the right direction for sure, precip is on the way, but it's too mild of a flow right now...

For weather I use:

http://167.131.0.179/Pages/WOMap.asp...egion=1#ORZ011 (This is NOAA and good format)

Could also use:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...&county=orc027

For Cams I use:

Government Camp (3950 but north oregon:
    http://www.oregon.com/roadcams/id/102.cfm

Santiam (bit higher at 4817, but south):
    http://www.oregon.com/roadcams/id/112.cfm

Meadows (varying height):
    http://www.skihood.com/mountain/conditions/default.aspx

I Really cannot wait to start looking at, but I'd say we should really be hoping for thanksgiving...):

http://www.nwac.us/products/SABNW
    http://www.nwac.us/~nwac/products/OSOMHM

The current pain:

ORZ011-013-012300-
    NORTH OREGON CASCADES-CASCADES OF LANE COUNTY-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GOVERNMENT CAMP...PARKDALE...DETROIT...
    SANTIAM PASS...MCKENZIE PASS...MCKENZIE BRIDGE...WILLAMETTE PASS...
    OAKRIDGE
    940 AM PST WED NOV 1 2006

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY.
    FREE AIR FREEZING LEVEL 5000 FEET IN THE NORTH TO 9000 FEET IN
    THE SOUTH. PASS WINDS SOUTH 5 TO 15 MPH.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN. RAIN BECOMING LIKELY
    LATE SOUTH. A CHANCE OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN LATE IN ELEVATED
    VALLEYS AND PASSES NEAR MOUNT HOOD. SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET. PASS
    WINDS SOUTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH.
    .THURSDAY...RAIN. A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING
    ELEVATED VALLEYS AND PASSES NEAR MOUNT HOOD. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET.
    PASS WINDS SOUTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH.
    .THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET. PASS WINDS SOUTH 5 TO
    15 MPH.
    .FRIDAY...RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET. PASS WINDS SOUTH 10 TO 15 MPH.
    .FRIDAY NIGHT...RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET.
    .SATURDAY...RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL
    6500 FEET.
    .SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET.
    .SUNDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET.
    .MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. SNOW LEVEL ABOVE
    8000 FEET.
    .MONDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. BREEZY. SNOW LEVEL ABOVE 8000 FEET.
    .TUESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 7000 FEET.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I'm trying to be optimistic, but I see too many 7 to 8000 foot freezing levels over the next week...We are moving in the right direction for sure, precip is on the way, but it's too mild of a flow right now...

The current pain:

ORZ011-013-012300-
    NORTH OREGON CASCADES-CASCADES OF LANE COUNTY-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GOVERNMENT CAMP...PARKDALE...DETROIT...
    SANTIAM PASS...MCKENZIE PASS...MCKENZIE BRIDGE...WILLAMETTE PASS...
    OAKRIDGE
    940 AM PST WED NOV 1 2006

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY.
    FREE AIR FREEZING LEVEL 5000 FEET IN THE NORTH TO 9000 FEET IN
    THE SOUTH. PASS WINDS SOUTH 5 TO 15 MPH.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN. RAIN BECOMING LIKELY
    LATE SOUTH. A CHANCE OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN LATE IN ELEVATED
    VALLEYS AND PASSES NEAR MOUNT HOOD. SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET. PASS
    FYI, the demarkation point between South and North is generally Willamette Pass. Mt Bachelor not only is North of that point but also East so snow levels tend to be lower. Bachelor's weather is frequently different than the surrounding area's and both passes. I Think you are right about lift served by Thanksgiving, I think there will be some moderately good touring sooner. Fingers crossed. It's coming.
    ~ e.e. cummings

FYI, the demarkation point between South and North is generally Willamette Pass. Mt Bachelor not only is North of that point but also East so snow levels tend to be lower. Bachelor's weather is frequently different than the surrounding area's and both passes. I Think you are right about lift served by Thanksgiving, I think there will be some moderately good touring sooner. Fingers crossed. It's coming.
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/forecasts2.php

looks they just changed all the zones, kinda weird, but my guess is that bachelor would be in the cascades of lane county???

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/forecasts2.php

looks they just changed all the zones, kinda weird, but my guess is that bachelor would be in the cascades of lane county???
    Well I am not sure how NOAA is catagorizing zones. From my experience the weather and snow levels in the Cascades of Lane County is quite different than what Bachelor gets. They have no info on Three Sisters, but THAT would be much closer to the actual zone of weather for Bachelor. I sense snow. and that's as scientific as I am getting .... my home based weather instruments, my arthritis and my gut all say snow ... so there you have it!

P.S. good to see you around here again. Saw your smiling name on ebay bidding on 916's a while back. didn't go for all that cheap. I may have a hookup, if so I'll keep you in mind if you are still interested.
    ~ e.e. cummings

UPDATE: Looking up for mid next week. Keep it coming...

TUESDAY
    RAIN LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 6500 FEET.

TUESDAY NIGHT
    MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 4500 FEET.

WEDNESDAY
    RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 4000 FEET.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
    SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 3000 FEET.

THURSDAY
    MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 3000 FEET. && TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION GOVERNMENT CAMP 47 40 48 35 48 / 90 90 90 80 70 WILLAMETTE PASS 48 39 48 33 49 / 80 90 90 80 60 FOR MORE WEATHER INFORMATION FROM NOAA'S NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE VISIT
    HTTP://WEATHER.GOV/PORTLAND