Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photogs: How do you carry on the mtn?

Just picked up a 30D the other week and the season is coming up. I have had a Dakine Heli-Pro for a while and it's a badass pack. I was just curious if any of the photographers on the board have used it to carry camera gear on the slopes or if you use something more specialized like the Sequence or some other brand's camera pack.
    Do you just throw your stuff in the pack and go or do you have some sort of packing method to make sure nothing is flying around when you are skiing?

Thanks
    Last edited by JBN999; 10-30-2006 at 05:37 PM.

I have a LowePro Nova 2 AW
    It fits my camera, a 18-50mm lens, a 70-300mm lens, and the little stuff like extra batteries, filters, and cards. It fits nicely in my backpack and leaves plenty of room for ski gear. It even has a neat little nylon “rain coat”. When it is time to shoot I just pull the whole bag out. When I’m not skiing it is a nice compact shoulder bag.

Dakine does make a backpack with a removable photo gear insert. One nice feature about that bag is that the back of the back unzips to access the photo gear so you don’t have to put back and straps in the snow. I looked at it, but thought the photo inset took up too much space.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post

Dakine does make a backpack with a removable photo gear insert. One nice feature about that bag is that the back of the back unzips to access the photo gear so you don’t have to put back and straps in the snow. I looked at it, but thought the photo inset took up too much space.
    Yeah thats the 'Sequence' I was talking about. Like you said, it seems its like a backpack cover for a camera bag. I don't see how you could fit much else in it.

I use a 5 point harness and store the extra lens up my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN999 View Post
    Yeah thats the 'Sequence' I was talking about. Like you said, it seems its like a backpack cover for a camera bag. I don't see how you could fit much else in it.
    It IS a backpack the works for haulin camera gear. I've used mine for a solid 2yrs. and DIG it!
    I usually carry my F5 + 28-80, 24, 80-200, film, etc. and sometimes my video camera. Though I usually carry that in a chest pouch. Plus my backcountry gear, shovel, probe, etc. I can also carry my tripod if needed. I don't always ski w/ all my lenses especially when going b/c. UGH!

I use this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search. Big enough for a body and a few lenses, plus I can throw a little bit of other stuff in too. Kind of a pain in the ass to take off and unzip when I want to shoot, but I wear it skiing and on my dirtbike and it's solid. Not really enough room for BC gear though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

I would definitely say that lighter is better. One way to go is start with the bare minimum (one body one lense) and then add more items as you find yourself wanting them. You may miss a good shot from not having a certain piece of gear, but you may also realize that you don't need everything you used to carry. Then look for the smallest, lightest way to package it.

I've one of these from KGear.com

It'll hold a body+lens, 80-200, Wide Angle + Speedlight. The minimum kit I travel with.

Otherwise a LoweType SLR case and a couple of individual lens cases.
    Elvis has left the building

Regular backpack(arcteryx M30) with my camera wrapped in a midlayer(wool sweater, etc) and the compression straps synched down. If I am pushing myself and expect to take hard falls, I leave my DSLR at home. I've never taken multiple lens's with me. But I would/will probably use a similar setup with the lens' in their soft case and then wrapped in something fluffy.
    Last edited by MeatPuppet; 10-30-2006 at 11:31 PM.

I just use an army of midget sherpas......

Actually the sequence is by far the best commercially avaliable camera pack for skiing.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Just got the sequence pack that I will be using for light/medium duty work days as well as skiing. Used to use a small carry on sized wheel suitcase or shoulder bag depending on what I had to carry.

Last week I did 3 jobs with the shoulder bag and I swear my spine is twisted. Hopefully the sequence will help me to be able to stand up straight 30 years from now. For skiing, I think I will really like some of the features on the pack. I'm going to have to pack it much lighter for a ski day, because it is heavy already without ski related gear.

Backcountry carries it, mag discount was a nice plus.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I use one of these, also from www.kgear.com :

It will hold my 20d with battery grip, 28-135 zoom as well as another lens or my speedlight. I actually rigged it so I could clip it to my backpack and it would sit on my chest... but I was always afraid of falling on it.

Another thing I started doing was taking the insert from my Pelican case and stuffing it in my backpack (an Osprey back loader). I've always wanted to make another velcro flap that will cover the top of the Pelican insert, but have never gotten around to doing so. I have a fairly decent sized Pelican, so if you went with something smaller( like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...oryNavigation), you could make it so it only takes up 1/2 the room in your pack, yet still carry a body and 2-3 lenses.
    Last edited by Storm11; 10-31-2006 at 11:12 AM.

I've got the Sequence, but my buddy has the Crumpler Keystone, and he likes it .:

I was thinking about rigging something up in the Heli-Pro to keep everything secure and padded since I already have it. No hope? The fit is pretty tight in there if I have the bladder full. Not to mention there is the vent at the bottom of outside pocket of the pack that has me nervous about snow getting in if I set the pack down.
    I was thinking of a way to mount the Dakine camera block on the outside of the heli, but I can't really visualize how big the thing is. I would probably look like a jong, jumping on a chair with packs flying all over the place.

Not that I am a Dakine fanboy, maybe there is something more compact out there from a different brand.

Burton makes a nice pack that I like:

http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=475

I'm using last year's model and it's good for all uses -- including skiing. In it, I'm carrying my 300D, 70-300mm, 10-21mm and the kit lens, plus a detachable flash with plenty of extra room for other things...including a shovel, probe, extra base layer and a water bottle. Oh yeah, there's a ski carry on that sucker too.
    Last edited by ski_adk; 10-31-2006 at 09:28 PM.

i bought a lumbar from mountainsmith. haven't used it yet, but i think it'll work for quick access and its not too bulky.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/store/?...3e8bc58a73f4ef

I packed the sequence for a job yesterday - 27lbs.
    No wonder I was twisting my spine with the shoulder bag.
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

i use a sequence and i've found that if you're really good with how you pack your gear, you can actually fit a fair amount. i usually am able to carry two camera bodies (20D and Rebel XT), 3 lenses (70-200 f/4.0, 20mm f/2.8, 28-70 f/4.0-5.6), a panasonic HD camcorder, and a tripod. not bad considering that it's essentially a snow pack with a camera bag in it.
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    i bought a lumbar from mountainsmith. haven't used it yet, but i think it'll work for quick access and its not too bulky.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/store/?...3e8bc58a73f4ef
    Yea, I have MS lumbar, used once.
    I'll never use it for skiing again. Nope.

Why?
    Cuz I hate having my camera and lenses bouncing off my ass while skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
    Yea, I have MS lumbar, used once.
    I'll never use it for skiing again. Nope.

Why?
    Cuz I hate having my camera and lenses bouncing off my ass while skiing!
    Use the provided butt-plug-cinch-strap next time.

i'mthinking about a chest harness that would work for a 20D 70-200 2.8 and one more shorter zoom for quick access... anyone seen anything good? cant be a pure shoulder pack it needs to be a 4pt at least

presently i'm doing this with a Lowe Pro Offroad using both the lumbar strap and the shoulder strap but it bounces and sits very low (knee hits when worn forward(
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

you tried just rigging the cameracase to your pack straps? Loop some webbing through the sternum strap attachment and a few other fitting up top, something similar to the waistbelt, if your case can hold it. The advantage/disadvantage of the kgear shit is they come with more lash/attachment points than LowePro et al. so it's easier to rig things, but they weigh more and have a less streamlined profile.

The first gen Mountainsmith camera stuff was "meh" 80% of the way there, not all the way. Haven't used the most recent stuff.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    Burton makes a nice pack that I like:

http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=475

I'm using last year's model and it's good for all uses -- including skiing. In it, I'm carrying my 300D, 70-300mm, 10-21mm and the kit lens, plus a detachable flash with plenty of extra room for other things...including a shovel, probe, extra base layer and a water bottle. Oh yeah, there's a ski carry on that sucker too.
    Is there a diagonal ski carry or do you just use the vertical snowboard carry?

Quote Originally Posted by bklyntrayc View Post
    I packed the sequence for a job yesterday - 27lbs.
    No wonder I was twisting my spine with the shoulder bag.
    can you lash down a tripod on the pack?

Quote Originally Posted by hhski View Post
    can you lash down a tripod on the pack?
    Yes.