Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up TR: Blanket Glacier

Time to stop being a lurker and to introduce myself! With all the crap that's been happening here with K-Stormchaser, I thought I would share some pictures from a trip I took last January to Blanket Glacier in BC. Hope you guys and gals enjoy!

We flew into the Blanket Glacier Chalet via helicopter from Revelstoke:

Here is our home for the week, the Blanket Glacier Chalet, with Blanket Peak in the background:

Our views north and south from the chalet:

Each day started out with a hike across the lake from the hut:

Some more skinning pictures. Hiking up through the valley fog. Most of the days we started out from the cabin in thick fog. Once we got up high enough though, it was bluebird skies and great snow!

Skinning up to Pollox peak with Castor in the background:

Scenery shots from the top of Pollox:

Another cool scenery shot:

Skiing down from Pollox:

On one of the days we attempted to summit Blanket peak (in the background of the hut picture), but avy danger was threatening, we would have had to negotiate a crevasse, and there was a huge cornice hanging over a cliff we would have had to climb under, so instead of bagging the peak, we climbed up to the saddle looker's left of the peak to hang out and have lunch and then skied down.

Myself (in yellow) and Chris hanging out on the ridge with the corniced cliff behind us:

My buddy EJ eventually made it up the climb to join us too. He was hating life on the climb until he got to the top and saw the views:

Me hanging out with the Rev's:

Skiing through the trees on the way back down:

Skinning back across the lake to our hut at the end of the day:

Hope this helped to make everyone's day better!

Great first post! Where is Blanket Glacier relative to Revelstoke?

great stuff. Thanks for the stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Great first post! Where is Blanket Glacier relative to Revelstoke?
    The chalet is due south of Revelstoke in the Monashee mountains.

I got this map from their website www.blanketglacierchalet.com. It's acutally a really nice hut, situated around some awesome terrain with great snow. Nothing crazy steep, but it was a nice trip just to get away from the real world for a while. After we left it took me about 2 months to adjust back to real life again

Only two months? I've been going to Revelstoke for the last 5 or 6 years and haven't been well adjusted since before I went the first time.

I haven't been in the area where Blanket is. I've been across the river and north of town. Doesn't matter, it's all good! Again, great first post and thanks for the TR.

Well, 2 months before I could get ANY work done instead of thinking about skiing there every second. Now I can get about a minute of work done between every 5 minutes of thinking about skiing. But shit man, all these CO dudes posting their "I just skied 1,000,000' of fresh pow in October!!!!11!!" is killing me! Fuggin' east coast....

bump for quality jong stoke, and cus im sick of the stormchaser drama
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

nice nice nice work...... ++++++kudos++++++
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

are they still talking about building a massive ski resort in revelstoke?

That looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing!

Beautiful pics! Looks like an awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post

yes. but thankfully a long way away from Blanket glacier. Nice pictures and story. How respectful was CMH?

The big resort in Revelstoke is Mount McKenzie which is just east of town, nowhere near Blanket Glacier as LeeLau pointed out. I can't remember the vertical on it but it's supposed to be the biggest lift-served vertical in N. America (like 6000'???). I haven't heard how this is progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    there trying to build one south of there nere invermere on jumbo glacier

Great stoke, love the isolation and the smooth pow turns. Thanks!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    there trying to build one south of there nere invermere on jumbo glacier
    That's actually south and quite a bit east of Revelstoke on the lee side of the Purcells. The base of Mt. McKenzie is right at the edge of town and is currently Powder King Ski Area.

\\The base of Mt. McKenzie is right at the edge of town and is currently Powder King Ski Area.
    powder king ski resort is actually way way north of revelstoke in pine pass north of prince george

The big resort in Revelstoke is Mount McKenzie which is just east of town, nowhere near Blanket Glacier as LeeLau pointed out. I can't remember the vertical on it but it's supposed to be the biggest lift-served vertical in N. America (like 6000'???). I haven't heard how this is progressing.
    I was there in February 06. We met with the owner of the old ski area. He was still waiting for his money from new developers and had lawyers primed - all was not quite as described here - http://www.skirevelstoke.com/en/index.php

They have amazing terrain open to them and get the snow that KH lacks so perhaps it will work but I'm not sure. We decided against investing in anything and looked at Nelson instead.

Anyone hear anything more recent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    powder king ski resort is actually way way north of revelstoke in pine pass north of prince george
    My bad. It's Powder Springs.

I think the Mt. McKenzie development is stalled out. We were there in January and heard about the same as PNWBrit. There haven't been any updates to the website in over a year. I know that the property values around the base doubled overnight when the original announcement was made. I bet there are some people who jumped on it that are really regretting it now.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 10-25-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Your photos are scratching me right where I itch

Welcome and thanks for sharing your great trip.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I was there in February 06. We met with the owner of the old ski area. He was still waiting for his money from new developers and had lawyers primed - all was not quite as described here - http://www.skirevelstoke.com/en/index.php

They have amazing terrain open to them and get the snow that KH lacks so perhaps it will work but I'm not sure. We decided against investing in anything and looked at Nelson instead.

Anyone hear anything more recent?
    I did some digging into the backgrounds of the investors who were backing the hill. There were a lot of names there from TSE mining promotions - entirely too much eastern money. The problem with Eastern money is that they are very short-term focused and not the most reliable backers. The DD involved searches of Ontario, Alberta and BC companies and looking up the involved directors and officers so I have no link.

Needless to say I wasn't impressed.

I wasn't impressed with the value proposition in Nelson either but that's for different reasons.

Great TR, thanks for the stoke! It gave me a break from checking the local NOAA hour-by-hour site every ten minutes...which is a waste of at least 5/6 checks when ya think about it!
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

Sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    yes. but thankfully a long way away from Blanket glacier. Nice pictures and story. How respectful was CMH?
    CMH wasn't too bad. We could only hear the helis on one of our days, which was a low vis day, so we were both skiing in the same general tree area.