Thread: Scratch BC WRS

Scratch BC WRS

Does anyone have any feedback on these, looking for a fat ski and these seem to fit me. Just wondering if anyone has any reviews on them or has ridden them?

Seattle, WA the biggest ski town in the world
    freeskier mag loves them. Calls it one of the best and most versitile skis of the year.

Just buy them and go ski.

Quote Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
    Just buy them and go ski.
    Quote of the century right there.

My friend just got them, and said they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The ski has a solid flex, it isn't quite a noodly park ski.

sliced bread having being invented the previous winter...
    i went all the way to st anton and all i got was this lousy signature

Lot of jongs in this thread.

not to be elitest or anything... just seems odd when all replies in a thread are from newbs. What's the point of an established forum? Feels like powmag. I wouldn't say anything if any of the advice/comments in this thread were actually valuable....(i.e "my friend/this mag says they rock!" is fuggin useless).
    Last edited by focus; 10-22-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Well, now that we have your valuable contribution, as opposed to those fucking newbs who've been here, oh, a year or so less than your exalted reign, then we can get on with the exclusive TGR business at and. By the way, did you show your hall monitor pass?
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

I'd be weary of the acrylic core (aka WRS) underfoot... seems like it would turn them into chattery death sticks. I've not skied them though, so you should do it first and then tell us what they're like.

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by focus View Post

not to be elitest or anything... just seems odd when all replies in a thread are from newbs. What's the point of an established forum? Feels like powmag. I wouldn't say anything if any of the advice/comments in this thread were actually valuable....(i.e "my friend/this mag says they rock!" is fuggin useless).
    It's 'cause they don't have avatars, isn't it?

I rode them for a day last winter at Alta. While I thought that the ski was solid (albeit less than my madens) the core I didn't like as much as the previous iteration of the BC's for two reasons:

1. The ski didn't feel like it had the same continuity all the way through. I understand the core was designed to enhance "pop", as it was on the previous BC (with a less stiff tip and tail), however with my other BC's they seemed more even. I'm not sure if there's a better way to put that or not.

2. Tortionally they didn't feel as resistant to flex either. This could have been partly due to the demo bindings, or the different mounting point than my other pair, but nevertheless the difference was notable.

If you can score a pair from the previous year, I would. The sidecut lends itself to making pretty quick turns if you're charging through trees and whatnot, while there's still a lot of float underfoot. For the most solid feeling connection to the ski, obviously, use something like a turntable or a P14 at the least.

Hopefully that is of some value or assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by YooperSteeze View Post
    I'd be weary of the acrylic core (aka WRS) underfoot... seems like it would turn them into chattery death sticks. I've not skied them though, so you should do it first and then tell us what they're like.

Not to be a JONG, but I've been around since powmag and jsut don't post much...

these skis have the THC core (wood/Foam/Isocore) that the snowboards and all the upper end Scratch skis have always had. not sure where you got the Acrylic from...

the WRS (weight Reduction System) is from a new fiber weave (Carbon/glass) that is stretched out and thinner in the tips and tails for less resin and less material at teh tips and tails...

slightly softer, but a LOT lighter. I did not notice the reduced torsional rigidity on mine...

Ira

Quote Originally Posted by focus View Post

Those french mags (Skieur and Ski Magazine, '06-07 test issues) say they rock.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
    Well, now that we have your valuable contribution, as opposed to those fucking newbs who've been here, oh, a year or so less than your exalted reign, then we can get on with the exclusive TGR business at and. By the way, did you show your hall monitor pass?
    It's a definition thing. You really wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    Not to be a JONG, but I've been around since powmag and jsut don't post much...

these skis have the THC core (wood/Foam/Isocore) that the snowboards and all the upper end Scratch skis have always had. not sure where you got the Acrylic from...

the WRS (weight Reduction System) is from a new fiber weave (Carbon/glass) that is stretched out and thinner in the tips and tails for less resin and less material at teh tips and tails...

slightly softer, but a LOT lighter. I did not notice the reduced torsional rigidity on mine...

Ira
    The acrylic thing is straight from a Rossi rep at a shop employee clinic... maybe I misheard him or something, but he went on to explain how it has almost zero flex to it, etc. and hence is offset by the isocell in the front and back thirds of the ski.

Caused a few alarms to go off in my head at the time, but didnt bother to question it since it didnt seem too farfetched to anyone else there.

Yooper,

the THC core is essentially a vertically laminated wood core, but with alternating layers of Wood, Foam, and Isocore (fiber reinforced resin, maybe he said "acrylic" but is more of a different material) instead of all wood. there are no "sections" that are all wood, foam or Isocore... the skis DO have a rubber tip and tail, but only at the ends of the skis...

the front and rear thirds of the ski have the new fiber weave that is super stretched out and a LOT lighter, and due to the new weave material is only SLIGHTLY softer... one continuous sheet of material, just stretched at the ends of the ski.

600g lighter than last year is nothing to laugh at, and while it is not a heavy tank anymore, it still plows through shitty snow jsut fine.

Ira

Good to know... he compared the isocell core to the composite that the plates on the race skis are made of... is that an accurate description?

I have about 15 days on this ski in the 185. They kick ass and there is no way I would trade back to the previous years. Ira has, from somewhere, all the technical 411. My take with new core is it retains most of the rossi dampness quality but now has the ping and swing similar to a volkl. buy 2.
    Switch powder skiing, while mostly useless, may be the missing link between skiing and snowboarding