Roof rack on my Tacoma?

I'd like to get a roof rack system for my Taco DC, but Im hearing conflicting reports. Some say I can only use Yakima, and some say I can use either Yak or Thule. The local shop said that I need Yakima Qtowers, but now looking online it seems there are several different models of Qtowers (104 vs 124, etc). ???

Any mags have a Taco with a roof rack have any fit suggs? Or anyone well-versed in Yakima or Thule care to offer some advice? Unfortunately I dont think I can support the local shop on this purchase--they want about $350 for the rack system and another $350 for two bike carriers and a ski rack...
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

go to yaks website, if your taco is gutterless you'll need some sort of q tower i believe. yak or tooly's website will tell all, or stop into an rei or some place with a fit guide.

oh either that or you have a pick up, jong, save the cash and buy a cab and put your shit in the back.

Roof rack on a TRUCK?
    Are you a water head?

Lemme help you save some cash. Go outside and look at your vehicle...pretty, no? Ok. Now walk towards the rear, and around behind it...You'll see a little latch handle looking thing back here, pull out and up on it and STAND BACK! It will fall down and towards you exposing a secret bicycle storage compartment! TOYOTA! They think of EVERYTHING!
    Last edited by P_McPoser; 09-27-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Glad I asked...

Ive looked at the fit guide, but it doesnt help too much when people selling their used stuff dont know what they have.

A caP, wow, novel idea. Now tell me again how a $900 cap is cheaper than a $700 ski rack system?

And great idea using the bed, I NEVER would have though of that. Problem is, when you have a cooler full of beer, four backpacks, and miscellaneous camping gear, there aint much room left over for the bikes. In the winter, a pair of 195s dont fit in the wimpy <5' bed with the tonneau on (plus the four coolers of beer, sleeping bags, etc, you get the picture). The dilemma ensues...

Since we demand to be logical about this, get a bigger truck!

Seriously though, look around, you can pick up a topper for cheap used.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Go easy, P. He's from over there.

"They" don't always understand the finer things in life. Things like Pick-em-up trucks, manual clay pigeon throwers (yeah, the kind you gotta use by hand,) and proper employment of the quasi-popular "Fanning" flip-flop.

Heheh, bigger truck? Hell no. Some of us on the right coast believe in trying to save some natural resources...

Ill keep lookin. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    And great idea using the bed, I NEVER would have though of that. Problem is, when you have a cooler full of beer, four backpacks, and miscellaneous camping gear, there aint much room left over for the bikes. In the winter, a pair of 195s dont fit in the wimpy <5' bed with the tonneau on (plus the four coolers of beer, sleeping bags, etc, you get the picture). The dilemma ensues...
    Get a hitch rack if you are carrying bikes. Way more secure, easier to load, possibly less expensive if you already have a hitch.

If it's an earlier than 2005 w/ extended cab, you can use two normal yak
    towers and an extension kit. A 2005+ extended cab or dual cab can use
    two towers. You won't be able to fit a bike on anything less than a dual cab.
    This is all pretty basic. I thought northeasterners were supposed to be smarter
    than us country bumpkins?

Are you kiddin' me? Eastcoasters DEFINED country bumpkin. You've obviously never been to Maine!

Besides, I've got the basics down--see original post (DC=Double Cab). I'm an enginerd type--I need the gritty details. "I need Qtower model number 124 with the internal lever ratio of 1:36 with a sideload capacity of 75 kilograms. The dipole moment of inertia of the load bars should equal..." [/nasal nerd voice]

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    If it's an earlier than 2005 w/ extended cab, you can use two normal yak
    towers and an extension kit. A 2005+ extended cab or dual cab can use
    two towers. You won't be able to fit a bike on anything less than a dual cab.
    This is all pretty basic. I thought northeasterners were supposed to be smarter
    than us country bumpkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Are you kiddin' me? Eastcoasters DEFINED country bumpkin. You've obviously never been to Maine!

Besides, I've got the basics down--see original post (DC=Double Cab). I'm an enginerd type--I need the gritty details. "I need Qtower model number 124 with the internal lever ratio of 1:36 with a sideload capacity of 75 kilograms. The dipole moment of inertia of the load bars should equal..." [/nasal nerd voice]
    What the fuck is a kilogram? We speak Amerikun around here.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

DC= Double Cab Yeah sure. check out tacomaterritory.com
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

Quote Originally Posted by Rippinsick View Post
    DC= Double Cab Yeah sure.
    Yes, it is.

Last edited by Natedogg; 09-29-2006 at 08:17 AM.