Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Quote Originally Posted by thrav View Post
    You're in for a treat. I watched it several years ago like most people, and still have yet to find something that comes close. Treme is worth checking out if you're into NOLA/ music scene. It's no Wire, but is by the same people, has several shared actors, and is all around good TV.
    I've read quite a few unfavorable reviews of Treme, but I really enjoy it. Unique for sure.

Bumpin' my own sheeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I watched this entire series in a marathon of blistering hot day cool-downs in my one air-conditioned room this past summer. I genuinely feel that this mind-thumping of a viewing experience made me a better person.

I love this show. I think about it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Bumpin' my own sheeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I watched this entire series in a marathon of blistering hot day cool-downs in my one air-conditioned room this past summer. I genuinely feel that this mind-thumping of a viewing experience made me a better person.

I love this show. I think about it everyday.
    Never get high on your own supply. This thread came up on an unrelated search, but since I stumbled upon it, I thought it should get a bump for the masses that haven't heard of it or have put off watching it. It really does make you think, and I agree that it has made me a more aware person.

i forgot about this thread, man i think i watched all 5 seasons in 5 weeks. probably my favorite drama, ever. (spolier) only let down was the fabricated serial killer in season 5.. for a show that was so brilliantly written, this was a shockingly dumb/unbelievable premise.

season 5 was a bit of a let down. i think the writers wanted to do a full season, but the network only signed it for a few. the could have easily come up with a better plot for exploiting the problems of journalism. best part of the season though was mcnulty and kima sitting in the room with the FBI guy describing the traits of the serial killer.

Deserves a bump since its now on Amazon Prime streaming and I guess HBO is going to sell their own streaming service to non-subscribers next year.

Simply the best thing I've ever seen. Watched all five seasons in 5 or so weeks. I'll probably watch the whole thing again within a year.

Pandemic! Get that Pandemic here!

Watched it as it aired back in the day, and I've been working my way through it again since it came up on Amazon. Into season 4. For my money, season 2 is maybe the best season of any show ever.

Just re-watched the whole series on Amazon last month - just as good as I remembered it. Watch it, shit birds.

McNutty, as Bubbles said, was the man, man. From the evening exploits to the almost daily insubordination he delivered. So many good yet flawed people with well developed roles.

McNulty might be my favorite fictional character of all time. Man had a purpose in life and wasn't going to let anything stop him. And he absolutely did not give a shit.

Finished re-watching season 1 last night. The show has aged really, really well and feels more relevant than ever.

The Wire

I had to suspend reality when I finally got around to watching it a couple years ago because of the pagers and ancient cell phones, but it was so solidly tight, that was not too difficult. Certainly one of if not the greatest series ever on TV. Solid writing, acting and tie ins to the bullshit of reality.

It was the Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

One of my fave shows ever.
    A good read is The Corner. Believe show based on this book, but really enlightening on the reality of life in the Baltimore hood, and others around the country I imagine. Have TC series queued up on my Netflix but still a little ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    One of my fave shows ever.
    A good read is The Corner. Believe show based on this book, but really enlightening on the reality of life in the Baltimore hood, and others around the country I imagine. Have TC series queued up on my Netflix but still a little ways off.
    Thanks for the tip on the book. Just ordered that and also Homicide, another one by David Simon that's supposed to be good. I'm about halfway through season 4 of The Wire. Truly one of the best shows I've ever seen. Really stays with you.

Lapping series for what’s gotta be the 4th time. Best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Lapping series for what’s gotta be the 4th time. Best ever.
    hah I'm doing the same, and yeah... this is definitely the best I've ever seen.

Four times? Sheeeeeit!

I lost this thing some time ago at the beginning of season 3 and just got back in there. Gawd, what a great show. And still timely.

A few mentioned above about a book it may be based on, but I'm pretty sure that it's the result of the collaboration of three great writers that fortunately worked together on this thing. Of course, David Simon and Ed Burns, who brought their real life experiences in Baltimore, but also Richard Price, who does not get enough credit for this masterwork. He was writing novels about Northeast urban life for years before this project started. The Wanderers, Clockers (Spike Lee adapted), Lush Life, Freedomland, Samaritan, and a few others. Great writer, born and bred in the Bronx. One of his little jokes from Clockers made it to a street scene in this season 3, when a bored cop asks some kid where he can get one of those baseball caps with the bill that comes off the side of the head instead of the front, and the damn kid answers that, oh man, it's just a normal cap you wear sideways. Uh, yeah.
    If you're a fan of the Duece, another Simon project, I caught an earlier use of a line they used to much greater effect in that show. After Cutty is introduced to Barksdale in the prison ball field, Cutty walks away and the dude tells Barksdale that Cutty calmly killed a man and then picked up the phone to call the cops, telling them that "I just shot a nigger, come get me." Same line the short order cook used in the Duece, after he shot the pimp. Great scene.

So many great lines just whizzed by. McNulty trying to get a drink at an open bar at an event he doesnt belong at in D.C., other than chasing some tail he's already tasted, and asks for a Jamesons on the rocks. Bartender says, only have Bushmills. McNulty scowls at him, "that's Protestant whiskey."

Awesome show.

ha I remember laughing at that Protestant whiskey line too. He's not wrong, though.

I was re-watching the earlier seasons recently and it cracked me up when those corner boys were yelling, "Pandemic. Got that pandemic!"

Ha, just looked it up. Somebody actually put it on YouTube just a few days ago lol.

It's pretty weird how Baltimore looks exactly the same now. not worse, not better. No idea about the drug trade, but the city scenes could have been filmed yesterday.

Well, don't know much about west Baltimore, but, I guess.

Sad how a fragile hipster urban culture like that is getting damaged by this thing. Haven't been down to Hunt Valley for a while for obvious reasons , bet the rich there are doing well. Everything I thought about the future has changed dramatically. The short term future of tight cities is bad. I don't put much faith in a bunch of young people clicking on devices.

I've been watching that again recently as well. A few episodes into season 1 again and its place as my #1 all time show is immediately reaffirmed.

Where is this show available?