Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

I just finished the whole series. Thank god the weather is nice here in the PNW so I need less dvd entertainment... but what should I be watching next?

I felt this same way at the end of the Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but the Wire was way more my steeze and better than those other two put together.

Recommendations?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

rome, deadwood, band of bros, basically any other hbo shit

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post
    rome, deadwood, band of bros, basically any other hbo shit
    shut your whore mouth when men are talking
    those are all better than network shows but cant even get in the wire's rearview, let alone catch it.
    damn

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    those are all better than network shows but cant even get in the wire's rearview, let alone catch it.
    damn
    So is there anything you can suggest thats even in the same ballpark as the wire?

I can't think of anything.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I'm looking forward to seeing Generation Kill. It's a miniseries so it won't have the same breadth as The Wire, but it's David Simon and the subject matter has incredible potential.

I have been thinking about The Wire lately. Looking back on it, the character I was most disappointed in was Carcetti. You knew from the beginning that he was a career politician, but he seemed to genuinely want to be a force for good in his community. Blew all his promises off in his quest for the Statehouse though.

The character I respected the most, Daniels. When it became clear that City Hall had no real intention of changing its approach to law enforcement and really addressing the city's problems he gave 'em the bird and walked. You have to respect principles like that, especially after Burrell's "you will eat their shit" speech.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-21-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but what about Omar Little as a character worthy of respect? That man lived by a code, did not double cross, and always followed through.

Least respect: Stringer Bell.

Omar is definitely up there on the respect list. I would say him, Daniels, Freeman and Bunk all have strong cases.

Also...

=

?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    Perhaps this goes without saying, but what about Omar Little as a character worthy of respect? That man lived by a code, did not double cross, and always followed through.

Least respect: Stringer Bell.
    Yea, there are some things about Omar I respected, but it bothered me that a few times he mentioned how drug dealers are scum, etc, but then he stole drugs, just to sell them back into the community. It never really focused on that, but it did mention it.

I can't remember his name, but I really respected the kid that got strangled in jail.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I can't remember his name, but I really respected the kid that got strangled in jail.
    D'Angelo Barksdale? He never earned my respect. He couldn't choose what world he was living in, not that his family made that easy. That guy killed with little reason and turned on his family several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

I have been thinking about The Wire lately. Looking back on it, the character I was most disappointed in was Carcetti. You knew from the beginning that he was a career politician, but he seemed to genuinely want to be a force for good in his community. Blew all his promises off in his quest for the Statehouse though.
    thing is he is nt so loosely based on the current MD governor that was the mayor of Baltimore....
    funny when he gave the trophy @ the Preakness last weekend i thought "holy shit he even looks like the guy"

damn
    So are you suggesting that he never watch any other series?

I do believe he asked "what should I watch next", and because it is sfobv that the wire is by far the best show ever made, i left that part out.

EDITED FOR IDIOTS(Woodsy): Although nothing competes with the wire, any other hbo series is gonna be pretty good.

HAPPY?

Just finished the last episode. Best TV ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post

EDITED FOR IDIOTS(Woodsy): Although nothing competes with the wire, any other hbo series is gonna be pretty good.

HAPPY?
    Life as Tim
    True Blood
    and this years Entorauge proves you far wrong
    Watching six feet under and the Wire recently made me realize these new shows not only are not in the same league they asren't even playing the same game

Life as Tim
    True Blood
    and this years Entorauge proves you far wrong
    i agree that the majority of hbo's series are on the decline, entourage has been especially disappointing, but if said shows had aired when i made my post i would have left the "any other hbo shit" off.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Entourage has been on fire this season....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Anyone else also only think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DznkHpEUIQ when they here all this swine flu coverage?
    PANDEMIC

also great catching up with Season 1 7 2 on on demand.
    season 3 on now.

Recommendations?
    I con't think its quite on the same level as The Wire, but I really enjoyed Cracker a UK TV series. If only to watch Hagrid play a,
    classic antihero, unfaithful to his wife, alcoholic, a chain smoker, overweight, addicted to gambling, manic, foulmouthed and sarcastic; and yet cerebral and brilliant at his speciality: getting into the heads of violent criminals.
    The Red Riding trilogy was a good watch as well.

You can watch it online at the Channel 4 website linked on the wiki page.

Recommendations?
    Generation Kill

Breaking Bad

I just finished the whole series. Thank god the weather is nice here in the PNW so I need less dvd entertainment... but what should I be watching next?

I felt this same way at the end of the Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but the Wire was way more my steeze and better than those other two put together.

Recommendations?
    The Wire is excellent from what I've seen so far.

These suggestions are different, but good too, there should be something here for you:

Taggart, 'There's been a murder!' I preferred the really early ones, grim story lines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taggart

Murphy's Law, darker and darker
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_Law_(TV_series)

Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes. rough cops, & laughs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(TV_series)

Just finished the final season. Pretty much watched the whole show one episode after another post knee surgery. Awesome (and not just the pain meds talking - saw the final two seasons sober). if it were a movie I'd give it 4 stars -out of 4. I don't even like cop shows or really TV drama at all but loved The Wire. Modern Shakespeare all the way.

This might be a rerun, but it's worth watching. Top 100 quotes from The Wire.

http://ruz.posterous.com/the-top-100...-from-the-wire

the wire complete series is on sale at best buy for $100! steal of a deal. pick up.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

just finished season one, little late to the party, holy fuck this is a good show

You're in for a treat. I watched it several years ago like most people, and still have yet to find something that comes close. Treme is worth checking out if you're into NOLA/ music scene. It's no Wire, but is by the same people, has several shared actors, and is all around good TV.

An excellent show for sure. So many Irish & UK actors pulling off believable American accents impressed too.