Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

I'm a little over half way through season 4 right now.... I love on demand and netflix...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

nothing new\best show on TV
    watch & watch more
    tell your friends.

Damn! I say, I say Damn!

No spoilers here, but good people will get hurt, and Omar's back on the scene. I hope and pray some heroes get to emerge from this season (I'm thinkin' Omar), but this show is not generally one to reward hope, that is for certain.

Is anyone else addicted to reading ABOUT this show? I've read New Yorker articles, Atlantic articles, NYT articles, EW articles, Salon.com articles... I really can't get enough. Shit, I've even gone meta and read a few articles the authors of aforementioned pieces cite as sources. I fear once the show is done I will go into heavy withdrawl.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Damn! I say, I say Damn!

No spoilers here, but good people will get hurt, and Omar's back on the scene. I hope and pray some heroes get to emerge from this season (I'm thinkin' Omar), but this show is not generally one to reward hope, that is for certain.

Is anyone else addicted to reading ABOUT this show? I've read New Yorker articles, Atlantic articles, NYT articles, EW articles, Salon.com articles... I really can't get enough. Shit, I've even gone meta and read a few articles the authors of aforementioned pieces cite as sources. I fear once the show is done I will go into heavy withdrawl.

It was good, wasn't it? I didn't really register what was happening until it was happening, if you know what I mean. Once the show is over, I'll start watching season one again.

Does anyone else find themselves rewinding to catch everything? I think it might be the Baltimore ghetto speak, but I have to really pay attention to catch it all. Maybe I just slow, is all.

I am, for sure. I think my favorite thing to read about is how other celebrities/cultural figures watch and enjoy the show. I was poopin' the other day and reading Blender, and even though it was an HBO advertisement for "The Wire," they interviewed Snoop Dogg about what he likes about "The Wire." I think it's interesting to see all the people who dig the show...just wish other people could of gotten into it.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Does anyone else find themselves rewinding to catch everything? I think it might be the Baltimore ghetto speak, but I have to really pay attention to catch it all. Maybe I just slow, is all.
    God bless DVR for this matter...'cause yes, I do the same. Also, I'm always going to HBO.com two days later to read the in-depth episode re-cap to make sure I can stay up to speed. It's not the dialect of the show or that you're slow, I think that there is so goddamn much going on, and so many different characters, that you can't help but to watch an ep a few times.

P.S., Good article with the guy who plays Gus the City Desk editor for the Sun in this season. Didn't know he was such a multi-faceted guy...starred in "Homicide" (from the creators of "The Wire") and also directed a bunch of stuff. Pretty amazing depth a lot of these actors have on the show.

P.P.S., Man do the actors from "The Wire" get a lot of roles on "Law and Order!" The last ep of "L&O" had Michael on it, and next week's has Rawls!

There's just no "filler" dialogue, everything has meaning so if you miss one sentence you're suddenly wondering WTF is going on. This is why I crank the 5.1 way up and have a strict "no talking" rule while it's on. The effect is amplified by the fact that they wanted to do 13 episodes this season but HBO wouldn't go for more than 10, so plot development is noticeably accelerated.

And Ep. 4, ho...leeee...shit.

I hope and pray some heroes get to emerge from this season (I'm thinkin' Omar), but this show is not generally one to reward hope, that is for certain.
    I see it going one of two ways.

1.) Keeping with the "all in the game" theme, Omar cleans up before disappearing again and our familiar cast of street characters is vanquished, only to be quickly replaced by an equally unsavory group in a cycle-of-life, perpetuation of darkness and despair type moment.

2.) Omar, overzealous to exact vengeance on Marlo, exposes himself and meets his maker. Marlo then takes out Avon and, now completely unimpeded, proceeds to rule the streets of Baltimore with every ounce of his iron fist.

I'm leaning toward the second scenario as it would fit in well with the writer's penchant for crushing any glimmer hope we may have. In either case, those in charge at the City, the PD and the media remain blissfully and willfully ignorant and put their energy towards advancing their own careers and solving problems only where they "count".

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post
    P.S., Good article with the guy who plays Gus the City Desk editor for the Sun in this season. Didn't know he was such a multi-faceted guy...starred in "Homicide" (from the creators of "The Wire") and also directed a bunch of stuff. Pretty amazing depth a lot of these actors have on the show.
    There was a great interview with him (Clark Johnson) on 'Fresh Air' this past weekend if you are an NPR fan. Very interesting fellow.

DTM- Even though its fiction, I feel the same fear of Marlowe's ascent as I did when GWB took office. I think you are likely right with your latter prediction, though I did hear one interview early on that there would be some positives to walk away from this season's end with.

Just cropped up today on The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tv_critics_admit_to_never

I laughed.

Damn, you gotta respect Marlowe's style sometimes:

(paraphrasing) "It's all me now bitches, deal with it or make an appointment with Chris and Snoop."

i like scott the reporter, such a candy ass. all he ever does is complain that he gets no good stories, yet he doesn't try very hard and makes up all his quotes from interviewees. then he makes up this big story, actually interviews a marine, and gets his break. man it must be is hard to make this stuff up!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Didn't I see Lt. Daniels on Lost?

I love the newspaper addition to the story line. Such a good perspective.

This is by far the best television ever. Networks should be taking notes from Time Warner.

Truth is what counts. For good Comedy, Drama, Action, news reporting, sports, fiction or non-fiction, truth is needed. People need to relate to the story and characters.

The Wire does not insult the audiences' intelligence by dumbing down, like every other show/movie out there.

Is it true that this is going to be the final season?
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damn, you gotta respect Marlowe's style sometimes:

(paraphrasing) "It's all me now bitches, deal with it or make an appointment with Chris and Snoop."
    Oh, and BTW the price on a package is going up too.

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post
    P.P.S., Man do the actors from "The Wire" get a lot of roles on "Law and Order!" The last ep of "L&O" had Michael on it, and next week's has Rawls!
    I was watching a rerun of Law and Order from 2000 and marlo was a jamacian taxi driver. In a 2006 episode, Omar was a cop, scar and all.

Oh, and BTW the price on a package is going up too.
    Hehe.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

I like how detectives McNulty and Lester created a serial killer case to acquire resources to fund their major crime case againist marlow after the police budget was cut to fund the school budget deficit. that was slick.
    Last edited by bigairnbumps; 02-16-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Holy cow are McNulty and Freamon digging themselves a hole...I actually get sick to my stomach to watch how realistically out-of-control the whole situation is getting...

Quote Originally Posted by bigairnbumps View Post
    I like how detectives McNulty and Lester created a serial killer case to acquire resources to fund their major crime case againist marlow after the police budget was cut to fund the school budget deficit. that was slick.
    Whoa, Whoa, say what? Do what now? They did what?

Yes, I like the show too.

Damn! I say, I say Damn!

Heoes?

The best thing about this show is how realistic and lifelike it is, and there aren't many heroes in real life.

If you want heroes, watch almost any other bullshit drama on tv.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Heoes?

The best thing about this show is how realistic and lifelike it is, and there aren't many heroes in real life.

If you want heroes, watch almost any other bullshit drama on tv.
    There is no end to how dumb you are. There are lots of heroes in real life. Many of which wear blue.

I just watched next week's on OnDemand. Awesome turn of events and the FBI hits the nail on the head. Great episode.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    There is no end to how dumb you are. There are lots of heroes in real life. Many of which wear blue.

I just watched next week's on OnDemand. Awesome turn of events and the FBI hits the nail on the head. Great episode.
    Well there are heroes and then there are heroes.

The wire shows real people trying to do the right thing and make a difference, without ruining their careers or families. I'd say those are realistic heroes.

I think biggins was referring to a bit more of a Hollywood hero, ie Omar going on some crusade or something.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Didn't know HBO carried it on-demand but found the next episode and watched it last night. They really explained the reasoning for the serial killer case in this episode.

The profile analysis was interesting. Funny to watch McNulty's face as the agent read the profile. At the end of the meeting, the agent said something to the effect, if you have any questions, just fax them to us and we'll update your profile (talking directly to McNulty). Couple ways to read that comment.

Sorry for the spoiler
    Last edited by fatback; 02-25-2008 at 01:03 PM.

How about cutting down on the spoilers. Some don't have on-demand, and some of us haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
    Common courtesy.

How about cutting down on the spoilers. Some don't have on-demand, and some of us haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
    agreed - sorry.

If you read this it's on you... no whining after the fact.

Figured its safe to post again since the latest episode has aired, so here goes.

So Det. Freeman really dropped the bomb on Senator Davis when he basically through the federal indictment on the table.

Also, can't believe Omar took one. Thought he and Marlow would of had it out in the street Suppose that's part of the tragedy that the writers of the show are going for. If Omar would have stomped Marlow like most everyone was hoping, that would have made Omar a hero. Because in some way, how Omar lived was acceptable even though he was a killer. He had an honor code that he lived by that people could rationalize.
    Last edited by bigairnbumps; 02-24-2008 at 08:28 PM.