Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by emrepaul View Post
    Antalya, Turkey. Ski resort (Saklikent) is 45 min drive from the sea
    Alacati, Turkey, 2 hour drive to closest ski resort (Bozdag)

That is of course if you are interested in windsurfing, in which case Alacati is paradise
    Is anyone still interested in windsurfing?

I live in Winter Park Colorado
    I ski all over colorado but...WP is my favorite
    I don't surf ...but hell I'll try anything
    I water ski at Canton lake, OK

Quote Originally Posted by GheePup View Post
    Victoria Island, BC: Never surfed there but they do have good surf sometimes. Cold water? Yeah! Whistler is not too far away for the weekend warrior and there are more local ski hills to be had if you don't feel like making the trek up to W/B. Another plus for BC is that cannibas is ok.
    *Vancouver Island.... and it's pretty big actually... the drive from Tofino (surfing) to mt washington (ski) would be like 4 and a half hours

Wow this thread is awesome,i have surfed for last 10 years,i'm Irish from west coast of Ireland,great surf there,have lived in Bali for 4 years and Oz for 1,got into snowboarding couple of winters ago and want to do both so bad.
    Right now i'm doin season in Whistler and trying to figure out where to try and love to do both.

If i could get a visa for USA i'd probably live in SF and do tahoe,but getting a visa is not likely.
    I can get visa for Canada and i am considering Vancouver Island,i'm into BC touring so there has to be alot of options there outside of Mount Washington.
    New Zealand - Dunedin down south,big surf and mountains not so far away.

Thanks for all the posts,i think living by the surf and travelling to ski is a great idea,thats the way it could work best.

gav

Try Vancouver Island- mt washington and tofino... Oregon has some good options, but if you want a good job you wont find any in any small surf towns... sorry didnt read the post 2 up. I just do the seasonal trek with a trip somewhere tropical when the snow dies, doesnt look like that will happen, Baker got over 200 inches in nov.

Christchurch, New Zealand. A choice of ski areas 1 to 1 1/2 hours from the city (watch the light hit the Southern Alps in the morning and go) and reasonable surf in town. 2 hours north to the Kaikoura Coast, Dunedin 3 hours south. Come Spring you can ski in the morning and catch the tide in the afternoon. Done deal. The sedate pace of life however might be tough to take for some ...

Thread revival cause the Piggity POWs are contemplating a move and surfing and skiing are mandatory. We would even consider a short term move for a few weeks. Or few months

The inlaws live in Winter park and that has been a consideration but yeah the surfing thing.

Mammoth is the most logical since that's where I have my season pass but I'd prefer tahoe, either squaw or kirkwood.

Santa Cruz would be high on the list, at least my drive time to the mountains would be reduced.

I recall seeing a house swap thread (wife not included) and I was wondering if anyone is either open to a swap or has some good suggestions for these locations, especially mammoth if it's this season

Places around the world with surf/snow options within reasonable distance:

1) of course Cali.

2)Hawaii during the times when mt. whatever_it_is has reachable snow.

3)New Zealand.

4)Snowy Mountains, Australia...not sure how far the beaches are from the mountains...but hey, it's Australia...chill.

5)Chile and Argentina...they definitely have the mountains...there's GOT to be surfing
    somewhere down there.

6)Hokaido, Japan....most likely full wet-suit surfing due to the cold Oyashio Current dipping down from Kamchatka Peninsula.

7)Southwest France...lots of great surf spots along the french coast of the atlantic...and the western region of the Pyrenees Mountains are fairly close. But the biggest plus is the gorgeous french women and their delectable accents.

8)Vancouver island, BC ....lots of decent surf breaks on western Vancouver island, decent warmish weather in summer, sometimes even officially mighty fine...and Blackcomb in summer/Whistler in winter. Surfable in winter with decent suit according to friends there.

9) Alaska....for the surf-spots previously mentioned in another thread...but these are of course eclipsed by the mountain surfing.

Top three winners:

A) Cali...should be really good once half the coastline drops off, bringing the surf-zone closer to the mountains.

B) west coast of France...mountains, surf, wine/cheese, women...sounds good to me.

C) New Zealand....Ditto...except replace wine/cheese with kiwi fruit.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Top three winners:

A) Cali...should be really good once half the coastline drops off, bringing the surf-zone closer to the mountains.
    B) west coast of France...mountains, surf, wine/cheese, women...sounds good to me.
    C) New Zealand....Ditto...except replace wine/cheese with kiwi fruit.
    Great suggestions there AR.

A) Liftside surfing would be rad
    B) Surfing with nekkid chicks on the beach does not suck
    C) My wife offered to move to New Zealand...definitely on the short list.

Alaska actually sounds like it could have the best of both worlds. Wetsuit technology is getting much better now with the heated wetsuits. Tried to jokingly pitch Alaska to my wife but I was shut down. She is up for Indo though But then there's the skiing thing

Maybe this is the right place to bring this up. Thinking of Socal as the best place to surf and ski. Mammoth is def doable, but how about backcountry skiing on the way to Mammoth. Lone pine only looks to be about 4 hours from Socal. Anyone know of some easy backcountry to access off of 395? Would it be easy to camp out there for the weekend and do some backcountry touring??

That is a good question for the Eastside Thread. Plenty of even closer touring fun when it actually rains/snows in SoCal in some winters. In the lean years you pretty much need to get up to a Mammy to find any snow coverage.

I didn't read the whole thread but I'll give you my take on it since I've thought about it a lot. If I decided to live in San Diego in the winter I would travel to SLC via plane. The airport here is so quick and easy and I think you could even make a financial case for it compared to Mammoth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread but I'll give you my take on it since I've thought about it a lot. If I decided to live in San Diego in the winter I would travel to SLC via plane. The airport here is so quick and easy and I think you could even make a financial case for it compared to Mammoth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    I knew someone who worked PT at the SAN airport and had free flights. He'd fly to SLC once a week to go skiing. THAT's how you do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I knew someone who worked PT at the SAN airport and had free flights. He'd fly to SLC once a week to go skiing. THAT's how you do it!
    That sounds awesome. Season pass and a cheap room and you're set. Just ride the bus to the lift. I think it would be less stressful travel than the drives people make even from Denver to Summit or the bay area to Tahoe, let alone all the way to Mammoth from socal. And the skiing is awesome.

And the winter surf is good quality. And the water isn't too cold 4/3 is good. And there's baja.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Folsom, Ca vs. Biarritz

i live in Folsom, California.
    Folsom is 80 minutes from Sugar Bowl, about the same to Kirkwood, a little farther to Squaw V. going roughly the speed limit. Similarly the whole South side of the Desolation Wilderness is within 80 minutes (BC Skiing).
    Folsom is 127 miles from Bolinas, Ca. about 2 hours 15 minutes from Dillon Beach.
    with modern wave and weather reporting it is easy to predict where and when to surf or ski.
    the best part is that the cost of living in Folsom is way less than The City.
    in terms of sight seeing, you can do OK in Sacramento, especially on the american river in the summer.
    verall 157.2 242.6
    Food 114.2 116.4
    Housing 261.4 514.5
    Utilities 113 94.1
    Transportation 112.5 110.3
    Health 102.2 114
    Miscellaneous 102.2 120.
    now - i have been to Biarritz. i think it is a better place IF I SPOKE FRENCH. now Dora wound up in Biarritz, he could have gone anywhere, what better recc can you get than him? it is 2 hours 15 minutes from Gourette.

summary - i am sticking with Folsom, California unless i can learn to speak French or i someday make it to New Zealand and like it better than here.

I will add one thing here that I don't think I said before. If you want to live in socal/norcal and do the 2-3 weekends a month in Tahoe/Mammoth you need to be able to afford a ski lease. They are typically 200-400 a month and allow you to go up whenever you want. If you don't have that it makes it very difficult to get 30-40 days in at a quality mountain. If you can afford a ski lease you can get your 30-40 days if you are willing to drive. For people unwilling to drive it will be tough to do the surf/ski lifestyle in coastal California.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Reading this thread makes me think I'm doing ok
    I live in East County San Diego. Not your typical SoCal set up. I have nine acres and a view out my back yard of a 3300 foot granite face
    I'm 25 minutes to the ocean and it does get very good at times
    I own a boat and I'm 20 minutes to the bay or five minutes to the lake for wakeboarding
    I'm 2 and a half hours from backcountry touring if it's a good rain year which is iffy at best
    Reliable turns start at independence-big pine. Five hours away
    SLC and any other resorts out of state are easy The Airport
    I'm haven't been in years but there is also Mexico for surfing

For me, the highest quality combo was in San Diego, living within walking distance from the ocean. The opportunity for a short session or even a quick swim was sublime and I did it a lot. Having the opportunity to spend all day in the ocean was awesome. With friends, we'd charge up to the Sierra, baldy, etc. most weekends for snow. If we were really dirt bagging, we'd car camp, even midwinter. I was young and not bound to much responsibilities.

For me, there were compromises. I was sick a lot because of dirty San Diego water. To afford rent, I also lived in packed houses with lots of people, which was usually awesome and not necessarily a compromise.

For me, after living that lifestyle, living in the east bay was too far to regularly get the ocean fix and almost felt not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I will add one thing here that I don't think I said before. If you want to live in socal/norcal and do the 2-3 weekends a month in Tahoe/Mammoth you need to be able to afford a ski lease.
    Yeah, that living in-between to access both within a reasonable drive doesn't work for me. I think you need to live at one place in order to access at a moments notice and then plan for the other one. My kid is going to UCSC next year, so I think we'll be actively looking for a place in norcal in the near future...since we are ready to move back west...I've been ready for years!

EC - Maine and NH both have quick access to the beach and the mtns...it's just they're both marginal at best!

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Yeah, that living in-between to access both within a reasonable drive doesn't work for me. I think you need to live at one place in order to access at a moments notice and then plan for the other one.
    I would have to agree. I would rather live by the beach and drive to the mountains for snow. Like I said, you can get a good number of snow days if you are willing to drive, but for surf things are so fickle that you need to be close. Besides, I would not want to drive 2 hours each time I wanted a session. I don't think living in Sacramento would work for me unless I pretty much gave up surfing, even though it would be nice to be that close to the mountains. Having said that the Mammoth drive does wear on me. I think I have only 1 or 2 weekends more, you get on the regular program of heading up most weekends but at a certain point, usually in May, I get sick of it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

We live in Santa Monica, CA and drive to Mammoth 3 weekends a month (with 3 kids 7 and under).

I should have nearly 50 days this winter by the time I'm done Memorial Day w/e. I have come around on Mammoth as we have super consistent snow conditions. We don't get the A+ or 10 out of 10 days that Utah / JH gets (too much wind), but we also have a ridiculously good wind buff (see previously mentioned wind), crazy long season (Nov to Memorial Day even last year w/little snow), and longer sustained pitch and little to no rain (unlike Tahoe). Got 6" of pow this weekend, albeit a bit more dust on crust than I would have liked, but still super fun in the gullies where it was deeper.

Surf is anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour drive depending on which breaks, but quality breaks in Malibu are +/- 30ish minutes away or in the winter PV is 45 mins. Actually there are waves 11 blocks away, but I use that ocean for running during the sunset or oggling the booties while running on the sand

LAX is 20 minutes away if you need a fix somewhere else.

Strawjack has a good point on the ski lease. That was key for the enjoyment and minimizing the hassle factor. Leave everything there, Friday night is a 5 hour easy drive through the high desert while Sunday is 4.5 hours home every time. Very consistent, throw it on cruise control at 75, and low stress, albeit a bit longer than ideal. Would I rather live in San Diego for surf / cool smaller towns, yep. But then that drive is pushing 6 hours!?!? which is too much for this kid so I will compromise with Malibu, County Line, Palos Verdes, and all kinds of other spots w/in that driving radius.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Would I rather live in San Diego for surf / cool smaller towns, yep. But then that drive is pushing 6 hours!?!? which is too much for this kid so I will compromise with Malibu, County Line, Palos Verdes, and all kinds of other spots w/in that driving radius.
    The drive is 5 hours 45 minutes doing 70-75 leaving at 4 am from Newport, and 7 hours if you leave at 2:30 on Friday afternoon. I would not even bother leaving at 5 on Friday, I would rather leave Saturday at 4 am. If it is that far from Newport it would be farther from San Diego, so I would expect it to be 7 hours from La Jolla. I love La Jolla, but it is just too far from Mammoth for me. I can handle the Newport distance, but San Diego would just be too much.

I'm impressed with you getting 50 days. I will get around 35, 50 is some devotion.

When I lived in la jolla or hillcrest, we left between midnight and 2am, usually partying until departure time after a full day of work. I was young, with no kids, and lots of motivated dirtbag friends.

22 years in San Clemente surfing, and then riding shitty Big Bear on the weekends. Fuck California and it's ridiculous mess of freeways and commuting. I'd rather ride all winter at Mt. Bachelor, then have three seasons to surf the Oregon Coast where I can camp at desolate surf spots for days without seeing anyone and it's only a four hour drive from Bend. If you prefer surfing over the mountains then you get crowded waves and sub-par snow conditions. If you prefer surfing fresh powder over surfing, well, you get my point. Surfing in California is joke these days. When I go back I don't even take my gear because battling at beach breaks and point breaks for waves just sucks the soul out of you. I did it for too long, won't go back. Plus...... http://www.ktvz.com/news/surfing-leg...viral/39055264

or just move to hawaii and ride mauna kea.... https://www.google.com/search?q=ski+...cPDkwQ_AUIBygC

I grew up in the OC, spending most available time in the ocean.

When I "go back" to so cal, I just bring my trunks and just enjoy time in the water with preference on some bodywhomping.

A good friend did something similar in OR as above, but chose the ocean over the mtns. He lives south of cannon beach. He seems pretty happy.