Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    WHOA, Cito, what are you getting all twisted up about? If you are referring to people not checking out your pics on biglines, well, to be honest, I doubt people are going to put in the effort to go to other sites searching for someone's pics. They may instead tell you to get f*^&ed and to learn how to post pics here. Anyway, just chill out, I don't think there is any hatin' going on here.

Funny timing on this thread to be reincarnated. My job is actually taking me to the Ericeira/Peniche region of Portugal for the next 8 months or so. F*%& I'm stoked to be living by the water again.

rob

Nothing to do with you whatsoever. Just the mentality after I reread threads after not viewing them for a while. You're missing the point by about...say...a trillion miles. I could care less about my pics. But I just hate the gang up philosophy/bully mentaility when it comes from a bunch of fucks who don't know shit. But as long as the majority concurrs, all good. And I fucking hate when a newbie/inexperienced person that wants to gain knowledge gets treated like a fucking leapor. What the fuck is so hard to understand?

Christ,

It's like most around here are anti-ambassadors. FNA. Can I make this any clearer, I don't give a shit who thinks what about me, I'll rip 99% on this board. What bothers me, and should bother most that know anything, is stupid shit like longboarders are unskillied/no one drops in twice and stuff like that. Especially coming from dolts.

You realize that there is an elite class that rips that encourages/influences people in the sport and those on the other side of the spectrum that reek of jealousy. Get it?

Also, Rob

Unless you want to play the flip flop like the gang, was it you that said this, "Yeah, post up pics Cito!!
    The best I can do is put pic in as attachment. Don't know how to put directly on though"

This is the shit I'm talking about

HO! Fuckin mahu barney back fo mo? You one angry kook! I t'ink yo boyfriend beat you again yah?

Vincenzo!!!

What up johnny cakes?! I miss your boogie boarding ass. Fuckin' rockstar!!!

Hugh Conway Guest
    I'm still wondering - marijuana baked or saltwater ceviched cito?

Hugh Grant

Redundancy my boy. MaryJ = baked. Saltwater/vinegar/any acidity = cevich.

Ahh, lol. Try..wake, bake, surf, drink, rail, bang, eat.

You really said cevich? Fagalocka

oceanside

oceanside in north county san diego is the place. i've looked into this extensively in the USA. one of the most affordable towns in SoCal, excellent swell window for winter and summer waves. 2.5 hours to big bear, 2 hours to Mt. Baldy, 7 hours to Mammoth, 1.5 hours to the desert (change of scenery completely). probably as close as you can get to having it all, other than santa cruz, but it's wayyyy cheaper than santa cruz. nearby job market of carlsbad is 15 mins away (companies like DC Shoes, Spy, and Reef are near there) and downtown san diego only 45 mins away.

east coast is definitely a cheaper option but doesn't get the waves or high elevation mountains like the west coast. a compromise only you can decide if it's worth it. hope that helps.

Big Bear is just 2.5 hours away?!?

I'm on it!
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Quote Originally Posted by lantzgr View Post
    probably as close as you can get to having it all...
    that's definitely putting more of a premium on surf than ski. socal is great but the skiing sucks and flying into SLC is probably a better option than Mammoth.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Bringing back an old thread with a new question. What is the best place for seasonal surf/ski.

What I mean is that SoCal is no good because the surfing is best in the winter, so every day you have to decide to surf or ski. Then during the summer you are left with mediocre surf.

I am looking for a place that has great snow in the winter within a few hours, and great surf during the summer. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Bringing back an old thread with a new question. What is the best place for seasonal surf/ski.

What I mean is that SoCal is no good because the surfing is best in the winter, so every day you have to decide to surf or ski. Then during the summer you are left with mediocre surf.

I am looking for a place that has great snow in the winter within a few hours, and great surf during the summer. Any ideas?
    It depends where you are in socal. Orange County has a lot of surf in the summer. It is pretty consistently surfable in newport and huntington. Usually mediocre, but still good enough to go out and have fun. You can surf everyday in those places if you want to. When there is something big from the southwest OC goes off, I usually head down to San Clemente, Cottons or barbedwires. One of the things I really like about OC is that it has as much summertime surf as it does. I went to college in Santa Barbara, and the difference is night and day. OC has waist to chest high or better surf far more often than not. If you are willing to be 5-6 hours from Mammoth, the OC is a great compromise.

I probably should not comment on San Diego, since I don't live there, but I have had lots of fun surfing in La Jolla during the summer. It does not pump quite as hard as during the winter, but it still has a consistent swell window allowing one to get wet very often. I don't know about cardiff/swamis, I think those are primarily winter spots, but San Diego is very surfable during the summer.

Put it this way: The only weekends this summer where I did not get some kind of surf were the ones I went somewhere, like Vegas or Palm Springs. It is pretty rare for Orange County to be unsurfable during the summer, and with the right tide/wind combo chest high Newport can be much more fun than one would think. The summer surf really is one of the great things about Orange County, it allows one to get excellent surf with long days and warm water.

A number of spots up in Malibu can be good during the summer. We used to drive down quite a bit from SB after summer school. I never went to the point, too crowded, but there are plenty of other spots which work well on a south/southwest.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Easy, simple, cheap, with not a lot of people. EPIC surfing, EPIC snow...CHILE!

I agree with the Chile sentiment, but how does the surf compare in summer vs. winter?

As far as OC goes, I agree that the summer offers some (mostly mediocre) surf. The problem is that the surf is great in the winter, so I will also be torn about weather to take the long drive to ski, or the short drive to surf. I am scared that I won't ski as much as I should. So I need somewhere with less "distraction" in the winter.

If you live in Seattle you're 1.5 hours from some great skiing and about 3 hours from the Olympic Peninsula where I hear there's some good surfing. I was just out at 2nd Beach near La Push and the waves were breaking perfectly. The water is colder than f**k though, so you've got to deal with that.

As far as OC goes, I agree that the summer offers some (mostly mediocre) surf. The problem is that the surf is great in the winter, so I will also be torn about weather to take the long drive to ski, or the short drive to surf
    Where da fack are you from? You think the surf isn't that good here in the summer? Don't get me wrong, not all south county breaks are good in the summer, but there is a whole fuckin lot that handle S, SW, W, & NW swells at any given time.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

As far as North America goes, for an equal balance between Surf/Ski/Lifestyle, you cannot beat Portland, Oregon... Yesterday after work, I drove 1.5 hours and was surfing an 8.5 ft swell. Summers here are gorgeous, absolutely paradise. This was my second day out this week after work. Water temp is about 60degrees F, which calls for a 4/3 or 5/4 wetsuit. I surf a 5/4, which keeps me HOT in the summer, and comfortable year round. We pretty much have no shoulder season between skiing and surfing. Ski season ended in May last year and I was surfing that same week. Our fall swells are the best, within the last 7 days, the breaking wave height has been between 7-17 ft. Summer averages between 4.5-10 ft. Mt Hood, also 1.5 hours away, offers 3 different large resorts, all with very different terrain. Our typical powder is a bit heavier than the Rockies, but we average over 270 inches of snowfall a year and have a very long season, typically from Mid-November till early May. Portland is a typical west coast, urbanite small city. With similar vibes as Seattle and San Francisco, it is an excellent place to live with a fraction of the living costs as any other city on the W coast. Like i said, we have great surf and great skiing within 1.5 hrs, which means an easy drive after work, or last minute decision waking up with a Saturday morning hungover... an hour and a half and you are in bliss... Aside from surf/skiing, we boast the windsurfing/kiteboarding capitol of the world in Hood River, less than 1 hr away. We have the 5,000 acre forest park in the city, putting miles of single track right out your back porch. Whitewater rivers surround us, providing an excess of rafting/kayaking/salmon/steelhead fishing... One of the best mountains in the US part of the cascade range, Mt. Bachelor, is only 2.5-3 hrs away outside the town of Bend (one of Outdoor mags best cities to live for the outdoor lifestyle) though i still don't think it beats Portland. And so there you have it...

As far as OC goes, I agree that the summer offers some (mostly mediocre) surf. The problem is that the surf is great in the winter, so I will also be torn about weather to take the long drive to ski, or the short drive to surf. I am scared that I won't ski as much as I should. So I need somewhere with less "distraction" in the winter.
    I can't really agree here, where are you talking about? I would actually say the surf is BETTER in the summer in Newport. Southwest swells do great things there, the jetties all act like little semi-left points. Newport Point goes richter on a hurricane swell, and those don't happen in the winter. Some of the jetties are better in winter, blackies on a west is a lot of fun, but for Newport I would say that summer has more consistent, and better, surf than winter.

Salt Creek is insane during the summer. On a big Southwest swell it turns into a fun left point. It gets great winter surf too, so I don't know which season is better, but it is open for debate.

San Clemente is a S/SW swell town. Lowers is better in the summer than the winter, possibly the best wave in California on a day to day basis. It is one of the best shoulder high waves anywhere, and it takes a huge southwest swell to overload it. I don't tend to surf there, as it is just too crowded, but it really goes off all summer. In the winter it does not work nearly as well. Cottons/barbedwires/uppers are also great all summer, although uppers turns into a great right point in the winter.

Overall I would say the surf is is probably better in the summer than in the winter in Orange County. Where have you lived in Orange County that has led you t believe differently? Last winter we went about a few weeks where there was no surf at all. January to maybe early February, I can't remember the exact time. It really sucked because there was high pressure and good winds the whole time, just no surf to go with it.

If you are worried about not getting to Mammoth because of the great winter surf, I wouldn't. I would say summer has better waves in OC.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I have never lived in OC, just surfed there (living in San Diego with lots of OC friends.) I know there is some decent surf during the summer, and I know lowers is fantastic, but like you said, it is crazy crowded.

As far as last winter goes... sort of doesn't count. Worst winter for socal surf in a long time.

I have never spent a winter in southern California, so I am not speaking from personal experience. All I know is that my many surfer friends who grew up there (LA, OC, and SD) all are way more excited about winter surf than summer surf. But I agree that OC is one of the best places to surf year round.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Portland, Oregon... Mt Hood, also 1.5 hours away, offers 3 different large resorts, all with very different terrain. Our typical powder is a lot heavier than the Rockies, but we average over 270 inches of snowfall a year and have a very long season, typically from Mid-November till early May.
    I've often thought about Portland. My my one time skiing on Hood had me thinking, "eh". Kind of not too steep and flatish. Of course it was August.

Also fixed the modifier for powder. I think you had a typo.

I like Santa Cruz as a blance. Decent summer surf, great fall surf right out the door. Winters are good and spring can be good. Sierras are just 3.5 hours away. Tahoe resorts and plenty of tour options. And I find the crest very interesting.

obviously there isn't the elevation or vast terrain that the west coast has, but out east we get some good waves. New Hampshire ain't the worst place to surf/ski....I know that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I've often thought about Portland. My my one time skiing on Hood had me thinking, "eh". Kind of not too steep and flatish. Of course it was August.
    Haha, I'm guessing you were at Timberline. Yes, Timberline (one of the 3 resorts on Hood) is quite flat, but it is known as a park resort and not for its terrain. It is also where many of the world class skiers and borders train in the summer and its park is massive (expert only) and is featured in about every major ski or board video. And also, you were skiing in August, LOL!! Meadows has some great terrain, which is definitely not flat. The 3rd resort, Skibowl, is also very steep, however it is at a lower elevation than Timberline or Meadows, so in poor snow conditions, it can suck. T-line and Ski bowl team up and sell a "fusion" pass for about $350 or so, which gives you unlimited access to both mountains. I get my pass at meadows, which offers a decent park but plenty of steep and off-piste runs. Good open faced powder runs too.

I also saw someone's comment suggesting PNW waves were shit. I disagree completely. I would say they are about as good as anywhere else on the West coast, depending on ocean floor type. We have some great points, like seaside, that can be dubbed world class. The past two weeks have been 7-17 ft, and the pumping swell continues. Its been great. The water has warmed up to 60+, which still requires a suit but its feeling pretty warm.

Santa Cruz sounds awesome, however. I was unaware it was only 3.5 hours from tahoe, thought it was a little further.

I did the Newport Beach thing for a year... got in about 4-5 days where I surfed and skied the same day. The trick is finding a job that allows you to get your skiing in on weekdays as weekends at any of the resorts are the most miserable experience on earth.

For skiing you are pretty much stuck with Mt High, Big Bear, or Mt. Baldy (if they are open). Those places are ok for park but everything else there really blows. You will also be 1 of maybe 2 skiers on the mountain... everyone else is a beginner snowboarder.

I have never spent a winter in southern California, so I am not speaking from personal experience. All I know is that my many surfer friends who grew up there (LA, OC, and SD) all are way more excited about winter surf than summer surf. But I agree that OC is one of the best places to surf year round.
    I can see that more for LA and SD. The south bay and most of SD are better during the winter, though SD does have some very good surf in the summer. You can surf the La Jolla area pretty consistently during the summer, Blacks has a big swell window(although the walk down sucks). Having said that, Blacks pumps hardest on a winter swell. I know some of the north county breaks work better during the winter.

Some people like OC in the winter because of the lack of crowds. It thins out, and the wind can be off shore a bit more often. I can certainly see why people would pine for winter given how crowded summer is.

The winter surf can certainly be very good, you may miss some ski days for it. Having said that, there is a very good argument for the summer having better swell. You certainly don't sit around wishing it was winter in OC(swell wise at least) the way you do in Santa Barbara.