Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Tahoe, of course! (oh, and you can drink PBR while you 'surf'.)

DAMN, thats some clean lake water!

^ The best part...he didn't spill the beer. I swear to god, that guy isn't human.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Yup DP, that's the first thing that stuck out in my mind when I went to Tahoe, color of water. Place is sick...defies the properties of "lake water" no doubt, more estuary-like feel IMO.

Btw to those that apply, anybody in the NY/NJ coast area out this weekend? Sat had the more post storm feel obviously, and was bigger, but after it cleaned up a bit, wind, shape and color, Sun morn rocked as well.

new zealand. though id say skiing is questionable, and the fucking hole in the ozone seems to be killing the season.

Quote Originally Posted by cito View Post
    Btw to those that apply, anybody in the NY/NJ coast area out this weekend? Sat had the more post storm feel obviously, and was bigger, but after it cleaned up a bit, wind, shape and color, Sun morn rocked as well.

West central LI had some nice clean shoulder to head high waves Saturday morning. Longboard goodness!

Really, only shoulder to head high. I don't know LI for nothing, but way smaller than what I was in. Jersey coast was way overhead, as in bottom turn galore, on Sat. Is your location sheltered in anyway or something?

was going to post on the fucking ridiculous thread. Thing's were pretty flat last week. But the potential is unreal. Never surfed but was doing the boogey board thing with the kids. 3/2 wet suit was enough. Some locals were having a nice day on the Strawberry Bar. Last winter was incredible. Now that I see how acessible the surf is, learning is in the plan. I can't believe people in CA talking about a 5 hr drive as being acceptable. Skiing out the door, surf 30 min. by boat or 20 by plane. Will not give location for fear of retribution from locals 4 years here still a newcomer.
    off your knees Louie

Yo Dawn, after I told someone on another thread to check out "where to surf and ski" thread, just checked back in. Although breaks/bars are indeed inconsistent, am I totally wrong with outside wave? After looking again is that a jetty or a barrier for an inlet? Curious, let me know.

alpinekook Guest
    Alaska. Check out Points North, you won't find any more perfect, empty skiing and surfing anywhere. Yeah the water is a little cold but I hear the wetsuits make the 35 degree water only feel like 40.

Wow, that's awesome Alpine. That's an area I have no clue on, surfwise, christ I'd figure drysuits were only option up there. So hows the mobility on those 10mm suits? Nearest "big" city?

anyone know of a cool town near the coast of central/southern chile? half way between th coast and mtns?????

One thing I have to add: Someone mentioned early in this thread that Mammoth is an 8-9 hour drive from Santa Barbara, which is grossly inaccurate. I went to school in SB, and the drive was a consistent six hours. Down the 101, to the 126, to the 14, then the 395. The drive was more consistent than socal, as we had less traffic to deal with. We always looked for routes which would cut the time, but never found any.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Well from my travels, So Cal is it. Pricey real estate for sure, but if you and the little lady make a good combined income, it is do able. I surf 3 times a week on average and do the Mammoth drive about 7-10 times a season with the odd trip here and there thrown in. Sometimes I wish I lived in the mountains for more days skiing, but the wife loves living on the coast, no cold mountains for her.

Newport Beach is the best of all worlds. I lived there for 3 years. You can easily surf everyday, and when you want more than a beach break, Trestles and Salt Creek are not far away. Bikini factor is off the charts, particularly in the summer. Skiing at Baldy is underrated, and only one hour away, BUT, as others have mentioned, it needs snow which does not happen every year. If you really need to ski and can't sacrifice a 5 hour drive to Mammoth, you can get some turns at Mt. High or Big Bear (both suck, but have tons of snowmaking). OC also has tons of commerce so jobs are easy to find whether corporate or restaurant/service oriented. As a bonus, you are 5 minutes from John Wayne Airport, 20 from Long Beach and 30-45 from LAX. What does this mean? Cheap flights to SLC, Denver, Vancouver, Tahoe or just about anywhere else you want to go on a longer trip. Newport is definitely the spot and the 5 hour drive (no traffic, I prefer to leave at 7pm after the traffic and get in late) to Mammoth is beautiful. Good luck in your quest
    No regrets, that's my motto. Well... that and everybody Wang Chung tonight.

san francisco

Well I was thinking the same thing as you but came from Sydney a few years ago- so was looking to get some more world class snow as well as surf.
    I think SFO has a lot of positives with the obvious negatives of expense and crowds.
    + The local beach (Ocean Beach) does get incredible and the crowds never seem to be bad. Also the standard of surfing is much lower than SC so I can compete for a lot of waves up here. All the breaks around San Francisco get a lot less crowds than SC
    + when OB is blown out (quite often as it is very exposed) there are lots of good points around SC and closer that are worth a drive (60-90 minutes to SC brks)
    + World class city- if you have some kind of corporate kinda big city job its hard to beat. Great food and all the rest of a big city
    + Tahoe is day tripable- i have done the drive to Sugar Bowl at dawn with a gas stop in a little less than 3 hours. The rest of them are more like 3 1/2 without much traffic

If I compare SFO to Sydney I would say Sydney is probably surfable 330 days a year (some of those days will be knee to waist high though- but still very clean). OB san francisco is probably surfable 200 days a year due to the wind blow outs and SC is somewhere up near Sydney in terms of having surfable waves. However Norcal gets very large (10-15 foot face) long period ground swell that the NSW coast seldom gets.
    This for me has been the best part- scoring 12 foot clean faces quite frequently in Winter time.

So if you want city I reckon living in Inner Sunset SFO is pretty hard to beat. 5 mins drive to the beach, great city, 3 hours to snow, but definately no bikinis around. The best part is you only use your car for the fun stuff- surf, snow and outdoors.

Otherwise I'd love to live near the Pyrenees and the waves....

Portugal

Anyone surf Kosh? Just came back from there and pissed a bunch of people off, but not friggin' bad.

Kosh/Portugal

Not html fluent. Instead of me giving url to 3rd party link, could someone give me a heads up on posting pics directly? Nothing redic, but some alright times.

Yeah, post up pics Cito!!
    The best I can do is put pic in as attachment. Don't know how to put directly on though.

rob et al

Uploaded recent Portugal pics on biglines.com. Still don't know how to post pics directly on thread. But thought you would enjoy. Look for pffft on biglines.com and feel free to post pics if you know how. Piz.

And FYI

The first pic of air to floater was NOT landed, but f it.

Vince, where u at bro?

Thought you'd kook me out by now...lol...

back to check in

So why is it that people who think they have balls of steel jump all over one who they no nothing about? TGR is the last place guilty before proven innocent would take place, just funny. Then when you post pics up, no response...revert to silent backpeddle/ignore. The immediate response to defamate with zero knowledge of nothing combined with zero props when due, sucks.

Disclaimer: those that have the stripes to say what you want, fine. But those that internet beer muscles, shame. I'm no super stud in surf, but damn pretty okay. Post some pics and put your mouth where your mouth is, you fuckin' god damn pussies. And give props when props are due. What a bunch of fuckin' bitchies, seriously, like girls, that hate all chicks that hate chicks that are hotter than them. Disgrace, but still entertaining.

To be clear,

Not directed to anyone in this thread nor defending myself. I'll show my shit to anyone on this forum any day, any time. I'll gladly post more pics. Just hate the hatin' for those that genuinely want to learn the best sport on earth. But after taking a huge hiatus from TGR and going back and reading threads and posts from those who suck is redic and reminded me why I left this place. Like I said, and very easy to recognize, those that rip and spread the goodness, all good.