Turin airport to Alpe D'Huez??

Euromags, may be you can help.

I'm on a backcountry course in Gressoney in March and I'd like to meet Roo and the boys in Alpe D'Huez afterwards. A transfer to Turin airport is included inthe backcountry course itinery. I was wondering how straight forward it would be to get a bus (or two) to Briancon or Serre Chevalier. I know the bus routes from then on (lets hope the Lauteret is open!). I've had a scan of some websites but my Italian is non-existant!

Thanks in advance.

Mrs R xx
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

It's kinda crappy. Best bet is the train from Turin Airport to Oulx just down from Montgenevre on the italian side, might have to change trains in Turin proper. From there you can get a bus, but they aren't many. Hve no clue when the busses go.

Which day are you making the move? If Saturday the best bet might be trying to check with some of the hotels or ops in Serre (or LG) that might be doing transfers. Tina at Maison du bez might be an option, maybe even the Lodge in LG.

If you're not carrying more than the average skiing crap it's pretty easy to hitch from Oulx to Briancon as well if you're there during daylight hours.. Or just get Roo to pick you up in Oulx, it's a fun drive over Montgenevre and he's probably got a car with him that needs testing anyways If the small Rio Nero cafe on the italian side is still there they have some of the best espresso I've ever had; just that is worth the drive.
    self unemployed?

sorry, can't offer suggestions.
    did do some searching for you, but came up empty.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Thanks guys
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Gressoney to Alpe d'Huez

I did exactly that back in 1995 when I worked in Gressoney and had to transfer to Alpe d'Huez to work for a few weeks.

The Oulx option already outlined will work. However, there is another route where you go by bus from Aosta into Chamonix in France through the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Train from Chamonix to Geneva to Grenoble and then a 1.5 hour bus drive up to "The Alpe". This trip is less critical as you won't have to pass the Col du Lauteret. I did this route. By the way, if you transfer on a Saturday you may be able to get a ride to Geneva as almost all tourist busses go this way...

No matter which one you choose, be prepared for a loooong day of traveling and waiting....

Jakob.

Oulx train works well. We dropped off a friend around midday in Oulx on January 2 2006 and he caught a train which got him to Turin airport eventually (... however, my cousin and I missed a powder morning in La Grave after it had been closed for 3 days previously!).
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Has anybody used the train from Porta Susa to Chambery then change to Grenoble? Just found this route last night on the SNCF website.

Nope. But if you're going all the way by train I'd think you could get some direct train from Turin to Chambery or somewhere near there?
    self unemployed?

When I went to Pelvoux last year I got the train to Oulx, then got a ride from there. There is supposed to be a bus that goes from Oulx to Briançon that is synchronised with the TGV from Turino. I just checked my emails from last year, but those are all the details I've got. If you want me to email a local to see if they can find out a little more, let me know.

Agree with above, there is some very nice driving around there, esp on the locals' roads.