Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: FUCK YOU BP

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL
    ...we don't need water.

Yup. Beer prices have stayed constant - when they go up, then we panic!
    Elvis has left the building

Same bullshit that led up to the oil spill. You should also say FUCK YOU STATE OF ALASKA alas we spend very little money on enviromental enforcement and alow huge companies for royal carribean to BP dump as much shit as they want into our state and look the other way.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Until we start to conserve the oil companies are going to be able to bend us over. It really is a supply and demand issue!

Yea, I love how we bitch about the price of gas and buy water for $8 a gallon; $1 for 16oz. A Nalgene costs $5 and water is free.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    WWU has built 20 plus alternative fuel, and low fuel consumtion cars. The technology is there, but industry does not want to accept it.

I've been riding my bike to work the last 3 weeks, and I will continue to do so.
    Consumers are resisting too. Gas needs to cost a lot more before a Hybrid becomes economical. Gas needs to be about $6 a gallon for a hybrid to be more economical to make a switch.

Most people buying Hybirds now are doing it for the environment, rather than saving money.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

You may want to start to panic. I heard last week the beer prices were going to be increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Staircase
    You may want to start to panic. I heard last week the beer prices were going to be increasing.
    Well, bud's been raising there prices, but Bud's not beer

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    In Europe you can get from most places to other places without driving far, or at all.

In NA, outside of a few select major urban centres, you can't get from place to place at all without driving. Urban transit is a total joke in most smaller cities.

Around here if you don't have a car life is very difficult for ya because you're probably paying $40 in cab fares to get the 20 minutes to and from work every day, or spending 3 1/2 hours on the bus.
    yeah, i know, i'm american.

i've often wondered how long america can sustain itself with it's car based infrastructure. at some point, it'll be too expensive to drive that long commute from the burbs into the city. but how long will that be?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    Hasnt anyone heard of preventive maintance in this country?
    Sure they have. It's an expense item on the balance sheet, so they save money by stopping it to make THIS quarter's numbers look better.
    Next year? - The decisionmakers will take thier bonus and be somewhere else by then and the mess'll be someone else's problem.

Lack of a longer time-horizon has been the downfall of many cultures/societies thru history. Sad to say we appear to be enduring one of those times now.
    Good runs when you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    the West Coast, will shoulder most the burden on the price increases because of this.
    Someones got to.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Back at the beginning of the last century the oil/auto industry lobbied for the right, then bought up and torpedoed many public transit systems that were already in place in cities across the country.
    If the public wants their trolly cars back, they will have to write many strongly worded letters.
    But I doubt any lack of public demand for oil will eliminate plans for drilling in Alaska.
    One monkey don't stop no show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    Most people buying Hybirds now are doing it for the environment, rather than saving money.
    And on the subject of hybrids and the enviroment ... they have massive lead-acid batteries that need changing every 3 years or so. There's an enviromental cost to that.

In fact, buying a new car solely to improve fuel ecconomy is usually not economical at all, enviromentally or monetarily. Consider the enviromental cost of building a new car: energy (probably coal-generated) used, byproduct handling/disposal, etc for the whole manufacturing chain -- from matreial sourcing to finished product. Not to mention damage done by mining operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    In fact, buying a new car solely to improve fuel ecconomy is usually not economical at all, enviromentally or monetarily. Consider the enviromental cost of building a new car: energy (probably coal-generated) used, byproduct handling/disposal, etc for the whole manufacturing chain -- from matreial sourcing to finished product. Not to mention damage done by mining operations.
    You'd be surprised by the amount of the metals going into a new vehicle that are recycled.

As far as hybrids, do the math sometime. Compare the cost of a hyrbid/non hyrbid model of car, the gas mileage, and you fuel savings. I did this when considering a hybrid ford escape. It would take 6 years before you made up the price difference in the price through savings in fuel. I don't know about ya'll, but most people that could afford one of these hybrids isn't going to keep it for more than 4 years....So if you look at it from a conservation point of view, higher gas prices are a good thing, as it will make alternatives that much more attractive.

You "environmentalists" can't have it both ways at once....Cheap gas and conservation can't come hand in hand unless there is some major social change that takes place......

Conversely, those 4 year old hybrids will make economic sense at the reduced price, as well as reap the potential emission benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Staircase
    Until we start to conserve the oil companies are going to be able to bend us over. It really is a supply and demand issue!

Yea, I love how we bitch about the price of gas and buy water for $8 a gallon; $1 for 16oz. A Nalgene costs $5 and water is free.
    ummm....will it make a difference with the increasing GLOBAL demand (honestly curious)?

I'm of the opinion that oil, being a commodity that the entire worlds society, infrastructure, existence depends on, should warrant a different set of rules that aren't PURE free-market....and really is it a "pure" free market or are there policies and systems in place that enable them to cash in to a greater degree without really being subject to the full arsenal of "free market" forces (again, asking seriously)?

...besides, the amount of handouts these companies get from the gov't (aka the people) to build their own infrastructure should make them want to give back to that society rather then raking in profits never before seen without investing anything back to the society that created them in the first place, no....

...and P - we can have it both ways, the problem is we're at the mercy of the corporate giants that want at all cost to keep the status quo...keep the cash cows mooing is what is all about...to the detriment of progress imho...

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Sarcasm.

I see you are also a fan of overly simple explanations, but your choice.
    I could write pages, but a simple answer is sufficient.

Supply and Demand drive a psuedo-capitlist country's economy. It is the basis for all trade and markets.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser
    I could write pages, but a simple answer is sufficient.

Supply and Demand drive a psuedo-capitlist country's economy. It is the basis for all trade and markets.
    Thanks Dad. I could right paragraphs about demand and growth of demand for energy has been effected by tax policy, but that would fall on deaf ears. You have your explanation and it's sufficent for you.
    Last edited by cj001f; 08-08-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky
    ummm....will it make a difference with the increasing GLOBAL demand (honestly curious)?
    Considering India and China with a billion people each are both on an upward trend with oil use per person ..... My guess is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser
    some major social change that takes place......

Bring it! I want the Hummer Dealership closed. Put the squeeze on us, I am tired of all the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este
    Bring it! I want the Hummer Dealership closed. Put the squeeze on us, I am tired of all the BS.
    Yup. Raise gas taxes high enough so they cover the real cost of a fuel based economy. Of course that raises problems for the libertarians, what should the government do with that money? (the US might be able to pay it's bills)

Demand and price will just continue to rise.
    I'm of the opinion that oil, being a commodity that the entire worlds society, infrastructure, existence depends on, should warrant a different set of rules that aren't PURE free-market....and really is it a "pure" free market or are there policies and systems in place that enable them to cash in to a greater degree without really being subject to the full arsenal of "free market" forces (again, asking seriously)?
    In the technical sense, no. Mainly because of OPEC's ability to collude and drive market prices as they see fit with little or any oversight. In the case of US based oil companies, the amount of "creative tax loopholes" available for natural resource companies negates any sense of a true free market...but to a lesser extent than OPEC.

...besides, the amount of handouts these companies get from the gov't (aka the people) to build their own infrastructure should make them want to give back to that society rather then raking in profits never before seen without investing anything back to the society that created them in the first place, no....
    In an ideal world, maybe, but in a capitalist economy? They will never give back at the rate that they take. And they are investing some. By investing in infrastructure, they are investing in making our lives more "convienient" (i.e. you don't have to have a tanker sitting in your backyard to fuel up your car), as well as creating thousands of high paying jobs. So there is some payback, but economics are in charge, and the full payback (especially the high social costs) will never occur outside of some utopian society.

...and P - we can have it both ways, the problem is we're at the mercy of the corporate giants that want at all cost to keep the status quo...keep the cash cows mooing is what is all about...to the detriment of progress imho...
    But without the corporate giants, things like automobiles, fuel, bicycles, and everything you enjoy on a daily basis becomes irrelevent anyways, because they don't exist, or if they do, they exist at a higher cost. That is why I beleive you can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by P_McPoser; 08-08-2006 at 03:40 PM.

I'd comment on this thread but I don't have time to grab facts from the internet.

All I know is just typing on my lit computer screen is wasting energy, and the amount of energy used to create, and ship all the crap on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw
    I am of the opinion that everything that has been going on over the last 4 years with gas prices is a carefully orchestrated attack on the American wallet.
    After 3-4 months of $4+ per gallon gas, we will welcome $3.50 gas with a cheer.
    I'm of the belief you're right. I think they are trying to find the "tipping point", or how much are these fools willing to spend before they can't afford it anymore and stay home or ride a bike. Once this happens they'll drop the price back to $3 something and we'll feel all good about gas prices, and they can continue to report record profits. The place where this is really going fuk things up is in food. Any idea how much a combine is going to cost to run this harvest season? How about the trucks that take the harvest to the local elevator or distributor, then their the cost to truck the produce to the store, and your head of lettuce or half dozen ear of corn is suddenly $5+. All the bike riding and e85 isn't going to help that in the short term. And what about the family just getting buy now, they're fucked when this hits the grocery store. But, BP and Exxon are enjoying record profits, my 401K is looking up due to petrol stocks(kind of feel guilty but it's not enough to offset my fuel costs), and the executives at the oil companies, and their buddies at the golf club who took their advice (inside?) and bought stock are rolling in dough.

I own a company that is based in large part with face to face meetings with our clients. My fuel costs are huge, and I have turned down business if it's too far from our offices or if they don't seem committed enough over the phone. In those cases I try to avoid the visit and do everthing over the phone, only at a certain point where it looks like a sale is right around the corner do I get in the car and go over for a visit. Oh, and NO ONE gets a discount anymore.

Good Luck,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TomK
    It's an expense item on the balance sheet
    Balance Sheets deal specifically with assets and liabilities. P&L's and G/L's deal specifically with income and expenses. Just a lil' accounting 101.

And apparently stopping maintenance was win/win for them if I understand what you are advocating. Win because they can write off maintenance expenses, or win because now they have this fucking massive liability that lets them jack up prices to cover their anticipated costs. Oh and make a few bucks off the lower supply too.

And, just for clarification, these guys that are getting the idiotically massive payout packages are going to rely on the company retaining some form of solvency in the future to fund said packages. Further incentive to fix their damn pipes.

There's no short-term solution that would have a significant economic and environmental benefit. Only thing we can do is sack up and start making some long-term plans rather than this short term whiny crap. Gas will run out. The Earth is not going to support so much pollution for much longer apparently. These have all already been established over and over and over.

What's my solution? Don't have one. If I did i'd be a rich bastard though. All I can do is turn off the lights and tv in my place when not in use, take shorter showers, use recycling facilities more often, drive less, and contribute to the collective trying to change shit. No one-day boycott idiocy, no ripping off the man in hopes of getting my piece before it all goes to shit, just taking the steps we all should be doing anyway.

Wow. I got angry. Ah well, back to bank reconciliations.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Thanks Dad. I could right paragraphs about demand and growth of demand for energy has been effected by tax policy, but that would fall on deaf ears. You have your explanation and it's sufficent for you.
    Go for it, if you want to write a novel, I'll read it. Just be prepared for the fact that I probably wouldn't disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este
    Amen... ban hummers! Wait a minute... I like oral sex...

Did anybody mention Bush's best friend is the grandson of the founder of Exxon? Google "William Farish". He just retired from the ambassadorship to England last July, and there is a serious connection to the Bush fam. Gave em their dog, x-mas dinner the last 30 odd years, etc. Coincidence oil is going through the roof? Probably.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!