Thumbs up Theres a hole in my brand new boot liner (update)

So I got new boots this season, and today was exactly my 19th day on 'em. Right before my race, I felt someting a little weird on the back of my leg, kind of like there was a pebble there. When I took my boots off at the end of the race, I noticed there was a decent sized hole that goes through about 2/3 of the back of my liner. The hole is big enough to fit a finger in, so it's not something to be ignored. My other boot is showing a lot of wear in the same spot.

I brought it to the shop and they said they'd have to send out my liner and I would not get it back for at least a week. I can't do that right now, 'cause I'm right in the middle of race season. I can't miss a race. So they said they would call Dalbello and see if they could do anything.

My question is, why did a hole develop on a BRAND new ski boot? I use them aggresively, but they are some of their highest performing boots, so you would think they could take the punch. I've had Dalbello's before, and I've never had this problem.

I'm tempted to just cover up the hole with duct tape if Dalbello won't warranty them, would this be advisable? Or are there other better methods? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm quite pissed that theres a friggen hole in my new boot, but hopefull Dalbello will fix it
    Last edited by dipstik; 01-28-2004 at 04:19 PM.

do you take the liners out at the end of every ski day?

Originally posted by train07
    do you take the liners out at the end of every ski day?
    nope

long john problem?

Originally posted by train07
    long john problem?
    nope, the only thing in my boots are my socks, which are all "ultra thin"

You could probably put duck tape over the hole to minimize the wear on them until they get replaced. Your shop shouldn't have a problem getting dalbello to warrenty them, and if they are cool there isn't any reason they can't have dalbello ship you new ones while keeping your old ones until the new ones get there.

This is actually a known problem with dalbello boots.

one more thing, will my warranty be void if the liners have been messed with a little bit? I had some heel wraps put on them, and I ripped out the stupid heating footbed they had in there to put in my own. I'm hoping that won't be an issue though

they should take care of you....whered you buy the boots??
    i dont see why they wouldnt send you new liners without returning the worn ones, especially if the shop sees the problem.
    Either that, or send them bac, and just wear a whole bunch of thick wook socks and ski those puppies without a liner at all. That would be KIR.

Originally posted by rightcoast
    just wear a whole bunch of thick wook socks and ski those puppies without a liner at all. That would be KIR.

(I got em at Wachusett, and when I went to the shop the guy who sold me the boots and did some other work on them was really cool about it and was willing to help me out)

Wink

Do you keep them in the basement? Sounds to me like the rats have been chewing on them........

I'm sure no one really cares anymore, but the guy at the shop called Dalbello for me and they agreed to send me two brand spankin new liners, without ever seeing my current liners! I think it's awesome Dalbello would do that.

It's both good and bad though. Good because it's like getting a brand new pair of boots mid-season...but really bad beacause I had some work done on the current ones and they were already packed out so that they didn't hurt anymore. I'm gonna hafta go through a full 5 days of painful misery until the liner packs out around the heelwraps and other stuff. It's better than having a hole in my liner though.

one last thing...the liners are heat moldable, and I never had that done the first time, and I was wondering if it makes a major difference, or if I should just not mess with it if I like the way my boots work now?

thanks

I would get a pro to do the heatmolding... I haven't had it done but I've known people who have fallen in love with boots after it was done when they were ~~ beforehand.

Try it, hell, just complain about another hole if you don't like it

Talking

Just get a hair dryer and heat up the liner, put your foot in, buckle up and leave it on until it cools down and wull ah. You're set. That's all they do at the ski shop. You can do it yourself. Makes for way comfy boots. Happy skiing bro

You might think about duct taping on the new ones, to keep them from getting holes agian.

Originally posted by Shredhead
    You might think about duct taping on the new ones, to keep them from getting holes agian.
    More than likely it's a part of the shell rubbing the liner, especially if it's inthe same place, a little bit of duct over that section should cut down on the abrasiveness of it.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Shredhead
    good idea.