Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool TR: Peak C, CC Rider Couloir, Gore Range 7.13.06-7.15.06

When: 7.13.06-7.15.06
    What: CC Rider Couloir, Peak C and Powell Basin snowfields
    Stats: 13.5 miles, 7,000' vert climbed, 87 mosquito bites, 12 goats acting as guides, and 2 summits.

12 minute long vid JP shot from the trip, 'save as':

http://weknowsnow.com/blog/images/gore-peakc.mov

The heart of the Gore Range is by far one of the most beautiful. lush, rugged, remote, and tranquil spots in all of Colorado. The majority of the peaks in the Gore are nameless on USGS maps and many of them don't have trails or even cairns leading up to the summits. The Gore is a Mecca for backpackers seeking solitude, skiers seeking steep and technical lines, and mountaineers looking for new challenges. Peak C and Mt. Powell stand at the northern end of what locals call, "ripsaw ridge", a narrow and super rugged ridgeline extending several miles along the Gore. Here's a small photo of part of the ridgeline:

Tired of the summer heat and the tedium of everyday life, JP and I packed our bags, loaded up the truck, and headed out for the Piney River Valley at the northern end of the Gore. Part of this trip was for work , and the other just to regain some sanity. We left the 100 degree heat of the front range and within a couple hours were battling the swarming mosquitoes that make the Gore Range famous along the Piney River. Just 12 or so miles from the resort town of Vail, the Piney River valley makes you feel like you just stepped back into time.

And we are off:

We followed the lush and scenic Upper Piney River trail for a couple miles or so until we came to the point where the trail ends and the bushwhacking begins.

Piney river valley view of Peak C and the CC Rider Couloir:

The nice and easy Aspen-laden forest soon became a bushwhacking nightmare. Bushwhacking in the Gore takes on a whole new meaning. The plants, vegetation, and forest growth stand taller than the eye can see and as thick as the jungles of the southern hemisphere. I've never seen anything like it. Thick grass and plants reaching 10' high, steep & rugged cliffs, and muddy swamps make up the norm for the terrain above the piney valley. This is usually where folks turn around and head back to the ranch, but this is where I fell the true "Gore Experience" begins. With a lot of adventure ahead of us and enough deet to kill an elephant, we forded our way through the dense and ever-changing forest to the Powell-Peak C basin.

Coming through a clearing:

The 65 lb. packs on our backs didn't cause all that much pain until we got to the steeps and narrow walkabouts around the cliffs just below the basin. A slip would send us straight into the creek or down the heavily rooted and granite filled terrain.

JP coming up the Powell-C basin towards camp:

We made it to camp just as the sun began to set to the west and quickly set up our tents and fired up the stoves for dinner.

Sunset on Mt. Powell:

Sunset on Peak C:

We set a good pace from the start and made it to camp in roughly 2.5 hours. The views from camp were absolutely amazing.

Couple of cheesy stream and flower photos:

Peak C and Knee Knocker pass around sunset from camp:

The presidentials and Holy Cross wilderness lit up with a nice orange and red tint as the last few rays of sunshine faded across the horizon:

Last few rays of light coming up the valley:

The tops of Mt. Powell and Peak C illuminated in the evening sun.

Sillhoutte:

We lit a campfire on the slabby rocks at our camp and spent the rest of the evening talking about the trip and our agenda for the next day. JP had brought homemade bison chili for dinner which was the best I had ever tasted. Big thanks to JP's mom for hooking us up.

Hanging out by the fire:

The next morning we woke up, cooked up a nice breakfast and headed out for knee knocker pass to ski the glaciers on the east side of the saddle.

Meadow of flowers leading up to KK pass:

Shortly after leaving camp a pack of mountain goats spotted us and decided to show us the way up to the snow.

Goat on ridge checking us out:

They were intrigued by our packs and skis just as much as we were by how close they decided to get. The pack of goats followed us up all the way to the pass and then tried to get even closer.

JP hiking up towards KK pass:

A little freaked out by their behavior, I climbed a small spire and yielded my ice axe and ski pole just in case they tried to attack.
    It had appeared that we crossed their territory and wanted to show us around for a small tour. The baby goats started to play by butting heads and running around in circles. Kind of a cool sight to see. After several minutes of us staring at them and them staring at us, the goats got inpatient and decided to poach our ski line. The first goat dropped in slightly skier's right to the cornice and straight lined the upper 15' or so. Pretty good form. The next goat decided to show off and hucked the cornice and completely stomped it!

Pondering the insanity:

He got applause by JP and me. The baby goats thought they had style, so they hucked the lower part of the cornice and then straight lined the upper part of the snowfield with speed and confidence. We basically got schooled by a pack of goats. The group then decided to leave us as they scaled the steep south face of Mt. Powell.

Killer goats surrounding us at the saddle:

After the goat entertainment, we clicked in and skied 1,000' vert or so down the mellow snowfield to the bottom of the C' couloir.

JP coming down the KK pass snowfield:

This was our ticket back to the west side to hit the CC Rider couloir off Peak C. The couloir looked prime for climbing as it was still in the shade and the snow was setup fairly nicely. Besides the deep runnel down the middle, this route made for an amazing descent. A good 2,000' of vert brings you down from the notch between Peak C and C' to the base of the Knee knocker glacier.

Climbing up C' route:

Looking up:

The climb up the couloir was one of the more taxing climbs I've done this spring. For some reason I was tired and clumsy, which resulted into a few sketchy situations at the choke. Somehow I made my way over to the left side of the couloir where there was nothing but water ice and loose sedimentary rock. I got stuck in a position where there was no holds for either my feet or hands, and I could feel my right boot slipping. All of the rock to my left was crumbly and ready to fall at the first touch. All of the snow to my right was 2" deep over slick ice and no available ice pick holds. There I was, ready to beater down a 45 degree couloir, sweating, slowly slipping centimeter by centimeter, and nowhere to go. I kept looking for one simple hold, but couldn't find anything. Finally at the last moment when my right boot kicked out and the rock on my left boot crumbled, I threw up my ice axe and got a firm hold on a tiny ledge. I slipped several inches before my leash tightened and arrested my fall. Phew!! "What the hell is wrong with me" I thought as my near-fall got my heart pumping. I should have had my crampons on, but failed to bring them this trip since I didn't think they would be needed. dangling by an inch or so from my axe, I slowly grabbed hold of the same ledge with my left hand and pulled myself up a bit. More rocks crumbled and fell from under me as I pulled myself up. I was able to get my left leg back up onto a hold that formed after the rock fall, which in turn made things a bit better. After some route negotiating I finally made my way up past the water ice and was back on track.

Smile

Upper part of C' couloir with bubble lake in background:

We made it to the top of the notch and threw down our gear.

View of camp, the piney river valley, and piney lake from the notch:

Part of ripsaw ridge:

I decided to continue on to the summit of Peak C while JP hung out in the notch. The route to the summit was a fun mix of class 4 and easy class 5 climbing. After reaching the summit I hung out, snapped some photos, and took in the scenery. The summit ridge is some of the most exposed terrain I have seen in a long while. 2,500' drops on the east and north sides, with a slabby slope to the west, make for a bit of uneasiness.

Timed summit shot, Powell in background:

Looking over at Black Glacier and Peaks D, E, F, G:

View of valley and lake from summit:

"I want all of it!":

Top section of C' couloir:

I found a mountain goat path back down to the notch and met up with JP for our descent. The CC Rider couloir is a fun line that doesn't get much steeper than 40 degrees.

JP coming down CC Rider:

For mid-July I was impressed by the snow quality and length. We got about 900' of vert before it melted out and became patches.

JP on the lower third of CC Rider:

iski:

We slipped through the patches and then traversed across the Peak C-D basin over to the north couloirs off the Peak C west ridge.

JP making his way to the final descent of the day:

This would drop us back into the basin where camp was, so we took our time and took in the views.

Through the choke:

and nearing the end:

Tired and hungry, we walked along the stream back to camp and found the same pack of goats hanging out.

Goats chillin' at camp:

JP and the goats hanging out at camp before sunset:

I wanted to bring this little guy home:

Mt. Powell and a goat in the evening light:

Peak C around sunset:

They would stay with us for the rest of the night and sleep next to our tents. After a while their presence didn't really phase us, as they chilled out and just grazed on the vegetation around camp.

The next day we woke up and hiked out down to the truck. Slow to leave this beautiful spot we took our time and explored another drainage of the area.

JP almost at the end, ripsaw ridge in background:

Another great trip to the Gore for the books. Each time out this range amazes me more and more. Can't wait to make it back to the bubble lake glaciers, as they will be in condition for the remainder of the summer.

wow, great tr. sounds like an incredibly fun trip, especially with them goats to keep you company
    If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    dave,

you're an animal... way to keep getting after it.

Classic summer TR. Love it.

Proof positive that Colorado sucks.

OMFG, the video of the goats was amazing! I've always been afraid of them because they were so bold when I'd come around and now I have even more respect. They are totally king of the hill and they know it. Cornice hucks, wrestling in no fall zones, playing with fire.

Pretty photos too, especially the flower and stream shots.

The snow looks like ruffles potato chips, same as when I was on Rollins.

JP and Dave, that's a kewl team, fo sho!

Dave, I can't come Wednesday. I'm swimming in werk. It's really a good thing though because I'll be able to pay for that sled soon. Let's talk later this week and mebbe get out one day next week.

Hey JP, why don't you show everybody a picture of your new sled? You badass. You make me feel so ghetto, but I don't mind if you break trail for me.

wow dood your pictures are breathtaking. fkna awesome work, looks like a sweet trip

Thumbs up

The goats are the coolest thing I've seen here in ages.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jonpierre
    i'm just happy i didn't puke in your truck.
    Me too . The Gore will bring that out in you, just ask Kya

As always, exceptional work.

Inspiration=Iski's TR's.

Sweet pics and thanks for sharing the CO love!

AWESOME TR.

Mountain goats rock

Killing
    It

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Very nice.

According to Stan Wagon's site, that line has only been skied by a limited few. Well done.

And they keep on coming! Summer looks like a fun place to hang out!

Iski, Some damn fine nice scenics in there...

Hey, gotta ask...with all this nice cakespreading action...

...where is the cake?

Fun looking mid-summer trip in the Rockies.

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Its official....

You suck. Killer TR man, I love reading your stuff. Great shots too!

Amazing experience with the goats. That is so cool.

Good to see you getting out on the hottest weekend of the year.

Very nice outing. The video has yet to load, but just the pics of the goats were amazing. I've never seen any that confortable around people.

Oh, and Iski, you rock. Every single month you contribute more here than most people have since they joined.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Beautiful!
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by jonpierre
    it seems the hosting company was having issues this afternoon.. it looks like they have got it sorted out now. vids should load. national geo style
    and ya. iski is pretty much the man
    Yup, its working fine now, just took a while to download.

You guys might be rockstars, but even the baby goats comepletly own you.

It was crazy to see how quickly they came up to your camp, no cautiously checking things out or anything, just trott right in like they own the place (cus they do). You guys are lucky as shit to have seen something like that up close.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

wow. thanks.

Thumbs up

*drumroll please*... the North American July Sickbird TR Award goes to.................

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Seldom Seen
    *drumroll please*... the North American July Sickbird TR Award goes to.................
    For 3+ years running.....

Nice guys. Driving back from the boat got a good view of the gore and some sweet lines that look to still go through. Had feeling you were up there.
    Drive slow, homie.

Amazing TR, beautiful pics, and a sweet line in the Gore. I bet you got some good looks/comments from some of the tourons at the ranch. FKNASICK!
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

I love how you hiked back up to catch the air and make the most of your run