Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NRBQ

NRBQ

Any of youse guys familiar with the great NRBQ? One of the most original, talented cerebral and charismatic American bands ever, they never gained traction with the masses. Hardly surprising, really. Check out "NRBQ at Yankee Stadium" for starters if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

NRBQ? now that is a blast from the past.
    I saw them open for George Thorogood at the RPI fieldhouse in Troy, NY.
    must have been around 1984? christ im getting old.

Great show, good times.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Yeah, "Wacky Tabacky" just came up on itunes, I hadn't thought of them for a while but I saw those guys for the first time I guess it was way back in '79 and then they were kind of the house band for a big club I worked at in D.C. for a few years, lots of good times with Terry, Joey, Big Al and the boys.

Yup. Right there in the Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen phase.

Carl Perkins, right?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah they put out an album with Carl Perkins way back in 1970 called "Boppin' the Blues". They toured as NRBQ up until 1999 although Big Al left the band prior to that.

Now they are involved in a couple of different side projects, Terry and original NRBQ guitarist Steve Ferguson are apparently about to relesase a CD or maybe it's out now. The Q did a 35th anniversary show in Northhampton MA in 2004 that I wish I'd known about, but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    ..big club I worked at in D.C. for a few years, lots of good times with Terry, Joey, Big Al and the boys...
    The Bayou?

Man, you guys are old! I'll bet half the board saw the post and figured it was Not Related to Barbecue.

And I saw them play in Richmond, back when I was a kid.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB
    The Bayou?

Man, you guys are old! I'll bet half the board saw the post and figured it was Not Related to Barbecue.

And I saw them play in Richmond, back when I was a kid.
    I worked at the Bayou for a little while but the place I was referring to was the Wax Museum, it's been gone for over 20 years now, holy shit. But it when it was going it was probably the best club on the East Coast, seated about 1500 with perfect sight lines and a great sound system, it rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen
    Yup. Right there in the Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen phase.

Carl Perkins, right?
    John Tichy, a professor of mine in college was a singer and guitarist for Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen for a while. He was with them till 1976, which included the "Hot Rod Lincoln" single. He told us he played guitar, but he never mentioned that he played in a pretty well-known band. I didn't know till after, when they wrote an article about him in the school of engineering newsletter.

Actually Bill Kirchen played those licks. He's still an amazing guitarist, he lives here in the D.C. area and gigs with his band "Too Much Fun" all over the place. Tichy was one of the founders of the band, though.
    Last edited by iceman; 07-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.

I'm more of a Paul Revere and the Raiders guy*. But NRBQ is cool, too; I had a buddy in grade school whose uncle was their manager. In other words, I'm practically a member.

*That's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas
    In other words, I'm practically a member.
    We know.

I guess this would also be a good time to mention that I am also the fifth Beatle, the sixth Beach Boy, and the second coming of Johnny Halliday.

Huhhuhhuh... he said member.

Heh - Bonny Raitt did a cover of "Me and the Boys" when she played at Wolf Trap 2 weeks ago.

NRBQ - wow, that brings me back to the early 80's. I loved them. They used to play at UVA all the time. I never cared much for their studio stuff. I always thought they were one of those bands who sounded way better live.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Thumbs up

Definite blast from the past...we loved them back in my college days at UConn. Saw them at Toad's Place in New Haven in the late 80's. They did a great show!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    Definite blast from the past...we loved them back in my college days at UConn. Saw them at Toad's Place in New Haven in the late 80's. They did a great show!

Sprite
    i used to go see Max Creek at Toad's Place all the time when i went to UMass back in the late 80s.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

wow, they still going? i saw them play a lot @ the Box and the Muse those summers I worked in Nantucket, always a good time/show (man, I feel old, b/c that would have been, what, 89-92??!!)

Rather than take over the other thread...I decided to bring this one back from the dead. This thread's so old I don't think Youtube was a thing back then. Well it is now and we're gonna use it a bit.

I'm pretty confident this will always be true...

"...NRBQ, the only band to appear at the Berlin Jazz Festival, the New York Folk Festival and the Grand Ole Opry in the same year."

Nice piece on the boys: http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2013...omment-5953456

I was at this show, I worked at the club they're playing in, and it's typical NRBQ: One minute a Thelonious Monk piece, the next an original pop tune.

Here's 18 songs from the same club. great sound quality. A number of them are with John Sebastian of the Lovin spoonful and the Whole Wheat horns are on most of them. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YSWm9pi93XmZCf

Joey was in the hospital for cancer but he's out and scheduling Spampinato Brothers tour dates, that's great news.

Terry is gigging as NRBQ with a new band these days.

...and the band played on.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-06-2017 at 09:37 PM.

I mean...

listen to this one a couple times and you'll start to get it

Get rhythym

Let's hear what Connie thinks...

"The music industry today is Taco Bell."

-Al Anderson back in '89.

This is right when they almost had their Big Chance. I mean they actually did have their Big Chance. But it lost some funding and backing right exactly when they needed it most and so it goes.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-06-2017 at 10:03 PM.

"Probably the craziest thing about NRBQ is how far over your head Terry Adams is actually playing, and how still he keeps it on the beat, and real, at the same time, all the time"

This is the nicest song you'll hear today.